Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, new guy with a question.

A few months ago I bought what I thought was a good flashlight, a 3AA 3W LED Mini-Maglite.

But over the past few months that I've had to exchange it for a new one twice due to a faulty switch.(I keep having to tap the head to get it to turn on)

Anyway my newest one is starting to have the same problem but this time I am not going to bother exchanging I am just going to get my money back and get something else.

That "something else" I am looking at is the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 1Watt or 3Watt AA light.

But before I get one I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on them.

But what I would really like to know is how the brightness/runtime of the Sportsman Xtreme 1Watt and 3Watt compairs to the 3AA 3W Mini-Maglite.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions but I really need some info, being a lurker only gets me so far.:rolleyes:

Thanks a bunch for any info.
Micahel.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy MikeV, and welcome to CPF,
Yep, you aren't the first one to have a problem with the 3xAA mini-mag. There are lots of choices..... I'm not that familiar with the Rayovac line, but you might want to check out the Fenix L2D CE. A very nice 2xAA light for around $50 that has 4 levels of light output, with runtimes of 2 hours on turbo, to over 55 hours on low. An excellent all purpose light. Here is a review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

I guess the main questions are always....
a. what will you be using it for?
b. daily use, or occasional?
c. big or small (pocket size, or for general home/car use)?
d. do you want to use rechargeable batteries?
e. budget?

I'm sure somebody more familiar with the Rayovac Extreme lights you mentioned will chime in with some more pertinent information for you.

The link to the flashlightreviews.com above is a great place to start learning about different lights. Happy hunting.

HexiumVII

Newly Enlightened
I have the Sportman Xtreme 3watt and the 3watt maglite. They are both very nice lights. Main difference is switch and the focus mode in the maglite. I myself like the maglite better. For brightness the Sportman has a bright spot in the middle from the lense and has a bit more throw. Its pretty much the same LED so don't expect too many differences.

MorePower

Enlightened
Continuous runtimes for both lights:

3W with alkalines: ~45 minutes
with 2400mAh Nimh: ~120 minutes

1W with alkalines: ~6.5 hours
with 2000mAh Nimh: ~ 7.5 hours

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Derek Dean said:
a. what will you be using it for?
b. daily use, or occasional?
c. big or small (pocket size, or for general home/car use)?
d. do you want to use rechargeable batteries?
e. budget?

a.It will be used as a all purpose light, everything from hunting and camping to when the power goes out.

b.I use my mini-maglite almost everyday anywhere between 5-45mins.

c.Defiantly pocket size.

d.I'm not really too sure about using rechargeables due to the self-discharge that Ni-MH have, I have not however tried the new hybrid rechargeables.(any info on these would be greatly appreciated)
I've been using Lithium AA's but at $2.50 each I'll probably go back to using alkaline's.

e.Probably around $40-50 max.

I really like the Fenix L2D-CE but I'm not sure how the switching between the different modes works.

Do I have to cycle through all of the modes to turn it on/off?
Can I set it on one mode so that it stays on that mode whenever I turn it on/off?

Thanks for any info.

retrodog

Newly Enlightened
a.It will be used as a all purpose light, everything from hunting and camping to when the power goes out.

b.I use my mini-maglite almost everyday anywhere between 5-45mins.

c.Defiantly pocket size.

d.I'm not really too sure about using rechargeables due to the self-discharge that Ni-MH have, I have not however tried the new hybrid rechargeables.(any info on these would be greatly appreciated)
I've been using Lithium AA's but at $2.50 each I'll probably go back to using alkaline's.

e.Probably around $40-50 max.

I really like the Fenix L2D-CE but I'm not sure how the switching between the different modes works.

Do I have to cycle through all of the modes to turn it on/off?
Can I set it on one mode so that it stays on that mode whenever I turn it on/off?

Thanks for any info.
If you really are a daily (truly every day) user then you should consider the convenience of a rechargable flashlight. Especially one that has a little docking station to just plug it into. Or at least two sets of rechargable batteries and a smart trickle charger so that you always have a fresh set of batteries to put in the thing.

fishx65

Enlightened
Target sells the Rayovac 3 watt under the River Rock name in a Camo version. This is also the Nuwai X3. The 3 watt is very very bright for a Luxeon based light and it's built like a tank. I run my River Rock 3 watt with Hybrids. Very nice beam pattern for everyday tasks. Flashlight Reviews has a review of the Nuwai X3.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Mike,
About the NiMhi rechargeable batteries, I went ahead and got a 4 pack of the Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries, and they seem to work as advertised.... meaning very little discharge (only about 10% loss after a year), so I'd get those.... and a "smart" charger. One that will charge the batteries independently, and that actually measures the charge level of each individual battery for optimum performance (some chargers charge all the batteries at the same rate, and uses a timer to cut off the charge, not very precise). Sanyo makes some combo packs (batteries and charger) that should work fine.

The L2D CE has by far one of the BEST and easiest to use UI (user interface) of any flashlight around. It has 2 "modes" which you select by turning the bezel (front part where the LED is). In the fully tightened position the light will come on in 'turbo'.... or full brightness.. when you click the rear button..... click the rear button again and it goes off.... or soft tap it and it goes to strobe .... another soft tap goes back to turbo.

Turn the front of the light just a bit and you are now in the 2nd "mode", which gives you Low when you click the rear button.... and then click again for off... or a soft tap for medium, another soft tap for high, and another soft tap for SOS.

So.... if all you want full brightness... all the time.... just leave it set to "mode 1" (front of the light tightened all the way)... then just click on.. and then click off. Simple. Want low all the time... just leave it in mode 2 and then click it on and then click it off.

After playing with it for 5 minutes you will "get it". It's an excellent setup. My only hesitation with the Fenix lights, is that I'm not sure how sturdy they are.... I treat mine pretty easily.... try not to drop it etc. Don't get me wrong, it seems to be a tough little light.... I just don't have enough time with mine to give it thumbs up in that department.

For a really rugged light I'm considering a Wolf-Eyes Explorer with a 4 level LED.... but that is not a pocket light (2 x CR123 batteries) ..... and costs around $80.

For a quick fix...... the L2D-CE can't be beat, but.... you might want to spend a little time here.... go over to the review section..... and pretty soon you will begin to get a feel for what will work for YOU.

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Howdy Mike,
About the NiMhi rechargeable batteries, I went ahead and got a 4 pack of the Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries, and they seem to work as advertised.... meaning very little discharge (only about 10% loss after a year), so I'd get those.... and a "smart" charger. One that will charge the batteries independently, and that actually measures the charge level of each individual battery for optimum performance (some chargers charge all the batteries at the same rate, and uses a timer to cut off the charge, not very precise). Sanyo makes some combo packs (batteries and charger) that should work fine.

The L2D CE has by far one of the BEST and easiest to use UI (user interface) of any flashlight around. It has 2 "modes" which you select by turning the bezel (front part where the LED is). In the fully tightened position the light will come on in 'turbo'.... or full brightness.. when you click the rear button..... click the rear button again and it goes off.... or soft tap it and it goes to strobe .... another soft tap goes back to turbo.

Turn the front of the light just a bit and you are now in the 2nd "mode", which gives you Low when you click the rear button.... and then click again for off... or a soft tap for medium, another soft tap for high, and another soft tap for SOS.

So.... if all you want full brightness... all the time.... just leave it set to "mode 1" (front of the light tightened all the way)... then just click on.. and then click off. Simple. Want low all the time... just leave it in mode 2 and then click it on and then click it off.

After playing with it for 5 minutes you will "get it". It's an excellent setup. My only hesitation with the Fenix lights, is that I'm not sure how sturdy they are.... I treat mine pretty easily.... try not to drop it etc. Don't get me wrong, it seems to be a tough little light.... I just don't have enough time with mine to give it thumbs up in that department.

For a really rugged light I'm considering a Wolf-Eyes Explorer with a 4 level LED.... but that is not a pocket light (2 x CR123 batteries) ..... and costs around $80.

For a quick fix...... the L2D-CE can't be beat, but.... you might want to spend a little time here.... go over to the review section..... and pretty soon you will begin to get a feel for what will work for YOU.

Thanks a bunch, that really clears things up.

So far of all the ones I have looked at the L2D-CE seems to be one the best ones for all my uses but I will defiantly go read the reviews section and see of I can find one fit my needs even better.

Thanks again.
Michael.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I purchased the Fenix L2D CE a few weeks ago, and already it has become my favorite after-dark walking flashlight. The High is quite blinding and turbo mode is even brighter. I use Low and Med probably 90% of the time.

Runs great on Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMh cells which you can pickup an 8 pack at Circuit City for $19.99.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.

If you're buying a light with 1-3 hours runtime, and use it 5-45 minutes a day, you're not going to have to worry about self-discharge. The nice thing about NiMH is that they've gotten cheap enough that you can buy an extra pair or even an extra charger and pair, and always have a charged set waiting at home.

Even at $9.99 for 4 AA, you break even after 4 uses (4 x $2.50 that lithiums cost...)* If you're that worried about it, swap the batteries out for a charged set every week. It's not optimal for the batteries, but realistically, you be buying the latest n greatest before they wear out anyway. I mean, suppose you "only" get 100 charges out of a pair instead of the claimed 200-500. Used every other week, that's 4 years on two pair of batteries.

* Yes, assuming you already have a charger... YMMV.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the Fenix L2D CE a few weeks ago, and already it has become my favorite after-dark walking flashlight. The High is quite blinding and turbo mode is even brighter. I use Low and Med probably 90% of the time.

Runs great on Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMh cells which you can pickup an 8 pack at Circuit City for $19.99.
Yep, that's how I felt after I got my L2D CE. I go for an evening, after dinner walk almost every night.... takes about an hour and a half, and my little Fenix light is about as perfect as I can imagine... that's why I generally have no problems recommending it.

And when you add the fact that you can buy both a 1xAA and 1xCR123 battery tube for it..... that's just icing on the cake! I think Fenix really got it right with this little light.

MBurke

Newly Enlightened
And when you add the fact that you can buy both a 1xAA and 1xCR123 battery tube for it.

This I wasn't aware of.......which body tube would do this ??

Thanks
Mike

MikeV

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I am going to go with the Fenix L2D-CE, the more I read about them the more I want one!

Hopefuly I will be able to order one in the next few days..............I can't wait. :D :D :D

I'll let y'all know when it gets here.

Also I've have been reading about how the L1D,L2D,P1D,P2D seem to have a "problem" with the light flashing when it's first turned on to the low setting, I don't really care if it does this or not but I am wondering of it will do it everytime I switch the light back to low from a higher setting.

Thanks for any info.
Michael.

Last edited:

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
My son bought a 1 watt Rayovac last night.I tried it in the car in daylight and wasn't impressed.That changed big time after night fell.It is very bright as least as bright as my L1 on high with better beam and color,I was amazed by the throw.I am sitting here comparing it with my 3 Surefires and it is very close in quality,hey it was 20.00 so you can't really pick at it when comparing the two.
SANY0181.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have the 3watt Rayovac version. I'm currently using it on the job, as I patrol darkened office floors on the night shift. So far, so good. Works well. Has surprisingly good throw for an inexpensive LED light that runs on AAs.

I recommend it.