Saving $$$ on new LED technology

bspofford

Enlightened
I am embarrased by the number of lights that I now own, and most seem to become obsolete in less than a year. My expensive lights make great paper weights, but the cheap ones are like old computers that sit in the basement. My salvation seems to be in a growing number of high quality lights that use P60-size modules, and half a dozen or so manufacturers are now making them. For example, the body of my CL1H v.1.0 purchased six months go is very refined and has HAIII finish. It was beautiful to hold but the output with the original CREE emitter at 700 mAh was mediocre, so I found myself using cheap lights with more ouput and modes. Unlike mods requiring a soldering iron and experience, an upgrade with P60 module is as easy as changing batteries. This week, I got a new Q2 5-mode module for my CL1H for about a third the cost of a new light. Wow! Now I have a quality HAIII body with great output and five modes for about the cost of another cheap light. If I had a Surefire, Huntlight, Ultrafire or other make/model that uses a P60 module, I'd want this new Q2 5-mode upgrade. In the computer business, I think they call this "open architecture," and it is great for consumers.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent observation, and a good idea for anybody interested in staying current in this quickly changing hobby.