Switched some tailcaps on my lights. (PICS!)

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered some tailcaps from DX and implemented them in some of my lights! Pretty easy to install other than some minor tweaking.

From left to right....MTE 42180, Fenix L1D, Fenix L1T, River Rock 1AA and DX Vinet (modded with SSC) . I did lose tailstand capabilities with the Fenix lights. GITD works well.

Pic 1
fl006.jpg

Pic 2
fl007.jpg

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Looks good,was thinking about doing the same to some of my lights.Do you know if DX is the only one who sells them loose like that.The orange and GID,tailcaps do dress up the light for sure.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Did you do it to get the GITD, or did you want different TC's for another reason? Did you lose/change any function by doing it? - Larry

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you do it to get the GITD, or did you want different TC's for another reason? Did you lose/change any function by doing it? - Larry

The tailcap rubber is just a skin; everything should work exactly the same. There have been a few lights (especially Jetbeams) that used to come with 3 different color tailcaps that were interchangeable.

The only 'function' lost as original poster put it is the tail-standing ability as the tailcap looks like it protrudes from the body.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did it because I got tired of boring black. And all functions still work. There is a small nub in the new rubber tailcaps that in some lights I had to cut off for it to function. Colored tailcaps give the flashlight a nicer look IMHO.

camdz

Newly Enlightened
How long does the GITD glow? I have some of these coming with my latest purchase from DX. I like the idea of dressing up the light, but if it actually glows that would be great too :laughing:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long does the GITD glow? I have some of these coming with my latest purchase from DX. I like the idea of dressing up the light, but if it actually glows that would be great too :laughing:

Won't glow all night but I can say it works OK. No real runtime test but about the same as the GITD extra tailcap that came with my Lumapower LM301. You may get a couple of hours.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I bought some of the GITD ones but can't figure out how to install them. I have two g2 surefires, one 9p, and a few random dx lites. All have the same type button but I can't figure out how to get em out of the surefires. Any ideas anyone?

g

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey that's pretty cool! Pity about losing the tailstanding on the Fenix lights tho.

Does it work well on the Fenixes or does the rubber bubble out, away from the switch itself?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I bought some of the GITD ones but can't figure out how to install them. I have two g2 surefires, one 9p, and a few random dx lites. All have the same type button but I can't figure out how to get em out of the surefires. Any ideas anyone?

g
Those tailcap buttons are intended for use in smaller Chinese lights (like those DX lights), not for SF's (the construction of the tailcap is very different).

For those DX lights, just take the tailcap out, unscrew the metal retaining ring with needlenose pliers, take the switch out, replace the button with a different one, and reassemble.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey that's pretty cool! Pity about losing the tailstanding on the Fenix lights tho.

Does it work well on the Fenixes or does the rubber bubble out, away from the switch itself?

There is a little nub inside of each one. (little cylindrical piece of rubber to help actuate the switch) You can trim it off or leave it in. It takes some experimenting around to find out what works best.

I'm pretty sure with the Fenix lights I had to trim a bit of the nib off to get it to work smoothly. It does slightly bubble out just a tad on the Fenix lights.

tsia

Newly Enlightened
Cool I'll go order some too :naughty:
Do you happen to know if it'll fit P2D-CE & L2D CE tailcaps

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I recently replaced my P2D tail boot with a Surefire one, but since it's taller I had to put a little bit of something else in there to close the gap. I like it much better than the tacky smooth Fenix switch.

Now I see these! I'll have to order... I've been wanting a GITD tail boot.

Have to find some other small things to order though, not paying s/h for just $2 of stuff. :D

alphazeta

Enlightened
I recently replaced my P2D tail boot with a Surefire one, but since it's taller I had to put a little bit of something else in there to close the gap. I like it much better than the tacky smooth Fenix switch.

Now I see these! I'll have to order... I've been wanting a GITD tail boot.

Have to find some other small things to order though, not paying s/h for just $2 of stuff. :D

FYI, surprisingly shipping is already included in the price of those tailcaps.

DaddyCool

Newly Enlightened
Nice "tuning"! Could you upload some pics of that GIDs in the dark (after flashing them)? That would be great :)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
FYI, surprisingly shipping is already included in the price of those tailcaps.

Yep, you're right. I'd browsed DX but not added anything to a cart, so I didn't know they had "free shipping."

Very cool.. I think I'll order some tail caps, a UV flashlight, and perhaps later some DIY stuff I've been wanting to play with.

Pre-builts I'll stick with Fenix, but for small parts, DX seems like a great deal.