My new LED toys arrived... :)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
After waiting very impatiently :D for two weeks, my order arrived. I'd like to do a quick overview of the LED items that I received.

-First up is the 'CREE 3xAAA Camping Light'

creepushlight1gz0.jpg

Pretty much the same form factor and size of the Sylvania Dot-It and generic 3+ led puck lights. Works the same way too. Press down on the big clear plastic cover once to turn on, press down again to turn off.

creepushlight2lm8.jpg

LED emitter and dome.

creepushlight3jk3.jpg

Lid on the back. Nice screw-free design, unlike the Sylvania.

creepushlight4sx2.jpg

Tight fit for the head and butt of the AAAs...one or two popping out at the top but closing the lid keeps 'em down just fine.

creepushlight5vm8.jpg

creepushlight6cb5.jpg

Close range shot on the wall from less than 2 feet out. Not much hotspot to see. This thing is a close range flood monster. Lights up a bedroom extremely well. Nice and smooth light everywhere - no rings and such unlike my River Rock K2 3xAA. I'd use this over the RR to light up a room any day, but I'm sure the battery life is terrible in comparison. Also haven't done any temperature safety testing or anything like that...please buy and use at your own risk. :devil: All I can say is, it probably blows away my Sylvania ten times over.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Next up we have the '10mm Focused LED Flashlight Keychain'

coincell1tt2.jpg

What can I say? These are like giant photons, lol.

coincell2dy8.jpg

My green Photon II in comparison...

coincell3jc5.jpg

coincell4ry0.jpg

The spot is as advertised...focused. From 3-4 feet away from the wall, you get a foot-wide moon with a little spill. Some crater-like artifacts were visible on my test unit's moon spot...hey just like the real thing! Though it's a spotlight, I'd say that there is enough spill to assist with lighting the way through a room if needed.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Thirdly, we have the Ultrafire B3 Luxeon-based 1xAAA flashlight.

b31ap8.jpg

This thing is pretty much the same size and almost the same look of the Fenix L0 series. I believe that it actually stands around 1mm shorter than my L0D CE.

b32oe7.jpg

Perfect machining for ten bucks? Who cares :laughing: Still a very solid and heavy feeling pocket light.

b33gp9.jpg

LED not perfectly centered- once again, only ten buckaroos.

b34ri4.jpg

Close wall shot. Not much of a room flooder compared to L0D CE, as you can tell from the intense spot. Shade of light is a little yellowish, very similar to my L2D CE. Outer edge of the major spill area is just about as wide as the L2D CE's as well, though the L2D has a wider hot spot.

Definitely brighter than L2D CE low (rated 9 lumen), but weaker than River Rock 1AA 1W (rated ~40 lumen). 26 lumens listed on the DealExtreme website is probably pretty close to what I'm getting on my Duracell Alkaline AAA.

My Ultrafire B3 came in a little ziplock with an attached wriststrap and no other accessories. Threads were very well lubed.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
-I saved the best for last. Mini Pig 2 LED Light :twothumbs

piggy1nj3.jpg

piggy2fy2.jpg

The only button is a momentary, but I think you'd agree that it's easily the best design in the biz even though it sometimes sticks and stays halfway in the on position and you have to fiddle with it to get it to spring back. :crackup:

piggy3ta2.jpg

What a snoutty beam shot. Double bluish beams.

piggy4wc4.jpg

The pig lights up! :party:

Okay, all done. Hope you enjoyed my overview.

Last edited:

blan

Newly Enlightened
Re: My new toys from DX arrived :)

Thanks for the overview. My girlfriend loves her pig lights. She even named them! And I finally found a light she would carry with her at all times. Score!

mmmflashlights

Enlightened

Thanks for the quick reviews. Unfortunately @^ and @)%*@%^!)#( are 4-letter words on here, the thread will soon be locked. Maybe they'll instead move it to the reviews forum.

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened

cool toys!
if you just put "my new toys from dx and my sf" at least, maybe this thread will not be locked or removed :D

peace to all
:devil:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I did it all in vain...just realized that you guys all still have the title in your replies. O well...thought I would provide some pics and info for everyone for fun. No links and such...

Anyhoo, I'm glad you guys liked the overview. Piggy lights forever! :)

Mash

Enlightened
swxb12,
Thank you very much for your reviews!
It is very helpful, when someone like you takes the time to do this. We all have seen the tons of items (LED and otherwise) at these sites, but you never know if they are worth the price, until you get them, so your efforts are very helful to everyone considering these.Please carry on with your reviews in the future!

cv3po

Banned

Thanks for the overview. My girlfriend loves her pig lights. She even named them! And I finally found a light she would carry with her at all times. Score!

Thank you for admitting to that. I didn't want to say anything but my GF just loves "Iggy" and actually jumped up & down and gave me a BIG hug :naughty: when i gave it to her. I'm actually trying to give her an lod-ce but she's just not feelin' it. :shrug:

BTW, is the brightness of the 10mm fauxtons roughly the same as a good 5mm or just a tighter spot? thanks

CJ

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
I have had one of the cree light pucks for a couple of months now. It is so much brighter than the 3 LED ones it isn't funny. Battery life isn't bad. I haven't done any heat checking.

Everyone I have showed it to has been impressed with how bright it is. It easily lights up a room and would be good for a tent while camping. I have one mounted in my garden swing so we can enjoy the nice summer evenings by reading outside.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to mention one thing: the pigs suck.
They use crappy old bluish LEDs (often of different power) and three button cells that sag hopelessly under any significant load. They aren't even the customary two 3v CR1216 that photons and their ilk use, but three rather smaller 1.5v ones.
Additionally, they are much larger than they need to be. Most of the internal space is occupied by air.

I replaced the bluish LEDs with two 20000mcd ones and the light is noticeably better now, but it still gets blown into the weeds by the cheaper and smaller photon knockoffs that use only one 20000mcd LED.

I'm planning to hack off the battery holder and put in its place a RCR2 3.6v LiIon cell that should have no trouble driving each LED as hard as it's driven in the small one-led keychains (about 80 ma - don't expect them to last very long). That ought to give it effectively double the brightness, and at least all that space will be used for something.

Sarratt

Enlightened
I just want to mention one thing: the pigs suck.

I just wanna mention it's a ""PIG LIGHT !!! yes of course it's crap!
Sheesh !!! :wave:

Reach out and grab a sense of humour.
Laugh at the concept. (even the pig/police thing which is way dated)

I found the reviews perfect ....

The photos are great.

Thank you very much.

Mash

Enlightened
Maybe they'll come out with the 15W and 20W (or whatever higher-than-the-last-one number they can think of) versions of the pig. Then you'll all be impressed! ;-)

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Next up we have the '10mm Focused LED Flashlight Keychain'

What can I say? These are like giant photons, lol.

coincell2dy8.jpg

My green Photon II in comparison...

does this pregnant photon use the 2032 cells or the 2016s, cause 2032s have lots more capacity, usefull for something like this.

Bing & Ye

Newly Enlightened

The pig is so lovely, where i should buy that?