Novatac Review 120T and 85P Comparison Review (Picture Heavy 56K Beware)

cslinger

Enlightened
I have been a long time fan of the HDS series of lights my Basic 60LE has gone everywhere with me and has not only held up very well but served its purpose spectaculary. My U42 has been my house light for just as long. The build quality, beams, UI, runtimes etc. are excellent on these lights. So with the release of the mass produced Novatac versions I had to pick a couple up, take them around the block and kick their proverbial tires. Here is what I found.

I ordered a 120T and a 85P from Lighthound last Friday. The lights arrived Monday (Kudos to Lighthound) and were packaged beautifully. The retail packaging of these lights is very nice and the foam used to hold the lights is very dense and well made.

The lights themselves are a lighter color HAIII then the previous HDS lights but the dimensions are pretty much idential. The Novatac lights have polymer lense while the HDS lights have glass. After a dissassembly and review of the Novatacs I must that bottom line these are GREAT lights. Yes they show signs of some cost cutting and mass production vs. the HDS lights, but in the end this doesn't take away from just how good these lights are. Some of my observations are as follows.

The HAIII on my examples looks good, but a bit thin. Could just be the coloring.

The clips are no better or worse then the HDS models. They do keep the lights from rolling and that is my primary purpose for them.

The threads on both my examples are very smooth, although my HDS lights are a tad bit smoother. This could be from use though.

The spring inside the body can fall out, but it is large and easy to keep in the body. This is, however, in my opinion the Novatac lights biggest flaw.

The UI is slightly more streamlined with the Novatac lights and I think they have moved in the right direction. Programming my 85P was easier then my U42.

The 85P tailstands with NO wobble. My two HDS lights will tailstand with a slight wobble.

The 120T will make a marvelous gun light. It is very easy to manipulate with a handgun. The button is very positive and feels great. You will not accidently turn this on in your pocket. I like the T very much.

The new beam profile of the Novatac lights is excellent and very useful. That being said I never had a problem with my HDS lights in this regard. The Novatacs throw very well but are not designed for throw per say. They are more of an intermediate distance light. They will however light up my whole backyard.

Alright on to some beamshots. Understand that I do not take very good beamshots and my pictures never really do the lights justice. So please only compare the lights between my pictures only. All appear a bit brighter and provide a bit more spill in real life.

All lights were tested at their maximum power. All lights are running on lithium primaries.

The contenders
NovareviewTheLights.jpg

The control picture. Dark closet.
NovareviewDarkCloset.jpg

The Novatac 120T
Novareview120T.jpg

Novatac 85P
Novareview85P.jpg

HDS B60LE
NovareviewB60.jpg

HDS U42
NovareviewU42.jpg

Fenix P2D
NovareviewP2D.jpg

Fenix L1D-CE Lithium Primary
NovareviewL1D.jpg

Surefire L1 Luxon TIR version
NovareviewSFL1.jpg

Surefire M2 with P61 lamp assembly
NovareviewP61.jpg

Novatac 120T ready for carry duty sir.
NovareviewP7.jpg

Novatac 85P reporting for duty as well.
NovareviewP229.jpg

So at the end of the day do I like em? Yep I think Novatac has done a marvelous job of taking an almost custom light to mass production. They do live up to my expectations. Mine have exhibited no apparent flaws and are working very well. The 120T will be replacing the B60LE as my carry light.

If I were to suggest one of these I would whole heartedly suggest the 85P. For $110 I think it provides a hell of a lot of bang for the buck. Once again, an avowed, Surefire guy whole heartedly suggest these lights over some of the competition.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics and beamshots! Thanks! Between my HDS and my Novatac I find them comparable with the Novatac having the edge on the UI. I have to say though that I do not like the brightness ramping on the Novatac. I like the HDS where I could control the ramping. I do like that the Novatac is quiet as I have one of the buzzy HDS's. Overall I like my 120p and I hope the issues others are having get resolved.

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS/Novatac series of shots really demonstrates visually what the difference between 120, 85, 60, and 42 lumens looks like. It's kind of gradual from shot to shot, but going from 120 to 42 makes you realize the big difference.

xiaowenzu

Banned
WOW! The 120 Novatac is clearly brighter than the 85p and MUCH brighter than the P2D Fenix which is supposedly '145 lumens' Lol, the Fenix P2D is overall the same brightness as the Novatac 85P.
I'm glad I ordered the brighter one! Thanks for the awesome pics man, you've got a great selection Surefire one. :wave:

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
In actual use I wouldn't necessarily say the 120T is clearly brighter then the Fenix P2D. To my eye it is a tad bit brighter when comparing ceiling bounces but not enough to say WOW that 120 is so much brighter then the P2D.

I have two P2Ds and they are marvelous little lights with, IMO, a great UI. I just wish they had a lower low.

At any rate I love my HDS and so far very much like my Novatacs.

I am glad the beamshots seem to be helping.

Chris

cslinger

Enlightened
Not sure I will be able to do a runtime test anytime soon since you have to be real careful to take notice of the first step down which is easy to miss and I don't have a lot of time right now. I will tell you that both my HDS lights ran longer then advertised at maximum so I would assume you would get a good solid 40-50 minutes out of them at full burn. The first drop in power is usually almost un-noticeable and in practical use they run for damn ever. I had my basic 60 set on high as a night light for a baby one night and 12 hours later it was still putting out an easy 15+ lumens.

As for which light would I suggest. Personally I think the 85 is the way to go. Frankly my U42 is perfectly adequate for any of my needs and the 85 is alot brighter then the 42. I think the 85 is a good deal for $110. Cheaper then the Surefire L1, much more versatile and smaller to boot. I am not sure the 120 really commands a $40 increase in price. Just my personal 2 cents and I am far from an expert so YMMV.

Chris

xiaowenzu

Banned
I am not sure the 120 really commands a $40 increase in price. Just my personal 2 cents and I am far from an expert so YMMV.

Chris

Well the 120 works out to be cheaper at $1.25 per Lumen ($150 price) while the 85 is $1.29 p/lumen ($110) :thumbsup:

Although one probably can't tell the difference between them say, when you're searching for keys under the table... But outdoors, when you need throw - the 120 provides 19% further throw. In other words, you can see 19% further with the 120 lumen light. Here's a read up on the comparisons in brightness between 45Lu, 60L, 85L and 120L:

http://www.hdssystems.com/LightFaq.html

just click on "What is the practical difference between 42, 60, 85 and 120 lumens output?" section of the FAQ. :twothumbs

LightScene

Enlightened
http://www.hdssystems.com/LightFaq.html

just click on "What is the practical difference between 42, 60, 85 and 120 lumens output?" section of the FAQ. :twothumbs
It's a little hard to find now, so here's what it says:

What is the practical difference between 42, 60, 85 and 120 lumens output?
The practical difference between a 42 lumen light and a 60 lumen light is a 19% difference in beam throw - all other things such as beam pattern being equal. In other words, you can see 19% further with the 60 lumen light. The same holds when comparing 60 to 85 lumens and 85 lumens to 120 lumens.

We can also compare the difference between 42 lumens and 85 lumens or 60 lumens and 120 lumens and see that the practical difference is a 41% increase in beam throw.

Finally, we can compare 42 lumens to 120 lumens and see that the practical difference is a 68% increase in beam throw.

How much light would it take to double the beam throw if we started with 42 lumens? 170 lumens.

Last edited:

sgtdraino

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if I missed this from another thread. Does anyone know what kind of LED these Novatac EDCs have? Are they still using luxeon tech, or something newer?

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not tried switching tailcaps. They look identical though except for the button.

Could you try for me please? I've got a 120T and was debating picking up a flat tail cap for domestic situtations and as a backup. If anyone knows please respond here and email me at : [email protected] - I would forever be in your debt. Even since I sold my U60 I'd felt naked and alone.

Shao

digitaleos

Enlightened
Could you try for me please? I've got a 120T and was debating picking up a flat tail cap for domestic situtations and as a backup. If anyone knows please respond here and email me at : [email protected] - I would forever be in your debt. Even since I sold my U60 I'd felt naked and alone.

Shao

Yes, the tailcaps are interchangeable. :grin2:

Chris

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
Shao,

The flat tail caps from the Novatac P series work fine on the Novatac T series lights. And there are no problem putting the T cap on a P. I have both the 120P & 120T and everything interchanges without any issues. Lighthound sells the Novatac P series tail caps by themselves, but they have a very light green anodizing color that probably won't match the color of your light, but it will work just fine.

You can also buy the HDS 17670 tube from Lighthound right now for $44 and it includes a flat tail standing cap. This is a HDS cap and it does not say Novatac on it and in fact is blank (without any writing on it). The length of your light will be increased to just past ~4.5" inches from your stock 120T which is ~3.5", but then you get to run the 17670 batteries. Your light will tail stand just fine with this 17670 tube with the included tail cap. These tubes are in very limited supply, so don't wait too long if you're wanting one.

One thing to note is that if you buy the HDS 17670 tube with the flat tail cap, this HDS tail cap will not work on the Novatac lights as it is, but it will work just fine on the 17670 tube screwed onto your 120T body. If you want this HDS tail standing cap to work on your Novatac battery tube, then what you need to do is remove / unscrew the locking ring from inside of your stock 120T tail cap threads and screw it into the HDS tail cap. This will allow the HDS tail cap to work in both applications, the stock body and 17670 tube. Also, the HDS flat tail cap will probably have a closer match to your stock anodizing if your 120T is closer medium / dark in color. If you do order from Lighthound, don't forget to use coupon code CPF for an additional 2% savings. And if you type in "HDS Novatac" into their key word search box, you'll see all their Novatac and HDS stuff for sale, including the new style Novatac clip, the HDS diffuser, o-rings, tail caps, battery case caps, etc. I beleive they only have a half dozen battery case caps left, so act quickly if you want one of these too before they dissapear for good. I just grabbed a half dozen more last night :sssh: