Lamp assembly stuck in bezel (SF E2D)

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Well I've tried searching but I always get errors when I search so I figured I'd just ask.

My new E2D's lamp assembly seems to be stuck in the bezel and I can't get it out. I've tried tapping it, smacking it against a padded surface, and going at it with a pliers but the LA won't budge! The most I can do is turn it (like screwing in or out) but even that takes a bit of effort and it doesn't seem to make it change depth, just stay at it's current position.

Is there a special trick I can do to get it out? I was thinking about putting the bezel in the freezer to make the metal contract a bit but I didn't know if that was good for it (fogging up the window?). I can get the LA out of my E1E head just fine (it basically falls out)...

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did that when I first got it. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers and slowly unscrewed the lamp while gently pulling at the same time. Now the lamps pretty much fall out if I'm not careful.

Have patience and good luck.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful. I was unable to get the bulb out of my recently-purchased E1e. It broke in the process and some of the remains wound up between the reflector and the windows (lens), which was not good.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Be careful. I was unable to get the bulb out of my recently-purchased E1e. It broke in the process and some of the remains wound up between the reflector and the windows (lens), which was not good.
Yeah I was afraid of that. I was pulling on the center metal piece that contacts the battery and I was able to pry it out a bit... then I saw that it was only connected by a thin piece of metal wire so I stopped in fear of snapping it. I put it back the way it was and the light still works fine, but I have to be extra careful about removing it now (don't wanna touch that part again)!

The reason I want to take out my LA is to try a LumensFactory LA in it. The LF one is one solid piece of metal which looks like it would be much easier to handle.

EDIT: Played with it a little more... I think it's gotten even worse as I can barely turn it inside the bezel without applying a lot of force.

Last edited:

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried removing the tailcap and pushing on the batteries? Try doing that while twisting the ***'y.

Last edited:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried removing the tailcap and pushing on the batteries? Try doing that while twisting the ***'y.
You mean leaving the bezel screwed onto the body and then taking off the tailcap and pushing the batteries while unscrewing the bezel?

EDIT: Is this something that I should call SF about?

Last edited:

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I was wrong, that won't work.

Try this:
Remove bezel
Remove batteries
Remove tailcap
Tie string around positive end of lamp
Thread string through aft (tailcap end) of body
Screw bezel on snugly
Pull string tight
Unscrew bezel

If that doesn't work it is time to contact Surefire. In the future be sure the lamp has free play in the head. may need to remove offending material, but it should all be in spec anyway :duh2:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've tried searching but I always get errors when I search so I figured I'd just ask.

My new E2D's lamp assembly seems to be stuck in the bezel and I can't get it out. I've tried tapping it, smacking it against a padded surface, and going at it with a pliers but the LA won't budge! The most I can do is turn it (like screwing in or out) but even that takes a bit of effort and it doesn't seem to make it change depth, just stay at it's current position.

Is there a special trick I can do to get it out? I was thinking about putting the bezel in the freezer to make the metal contract a bit but I didn't know if that was good for it (fogging up the window?). I can get the LA out of my E1E head just fine (it basically falls out)...

Any help would be appreciated.
+1 on this exact problem. Any help appreciated.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
+1 on this exact problem. Any help appreciated.

You will see a small metal disk with a raised section which makes contact with the + end of the cr123, the are 4 plastic tabs surrounding the disc, you should be able to pull the metal disc out, which would leave the plastic frame behind, would be easier to pull the reaming part out, once out replace the metal disc. I would not use this method if your LA is still working, because when you pull out the metal disc there are 2 small wires that can easily be damaged.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

Ahh. My bad.

I should have explained that it is popular aftermarket lamp assembly that lacks these tabs. It just has a solder nub surrounded by a flat bakelite? plate. Nothing to grip onto.

Perhaps I shall just have to wait until the bulb finally burns out and then destroy the LA.

That could be years away.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
How about some gaffa tape behind the LA with a raised section to grip on, mite not be strong enough. You could solder a bit of wire somewhere behind the LA, or on the solder nub to extract.