Different Flashlights for Different Tasks?

usmcdevildog

Newly Enlightened
Now I am new to this forum. I had no idea there was so much to know about flashlights. I can't believe how much one flashlight is different from another. Seems to most people that as long as it turns on in the dark, then that's all that matters.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me one that's a good compromise is good enough, because chances are when you need a specific one for the situation, you won't have it with you. My fenix p3d and spyderco endura covers pretty much everything.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
My NovaTac 120P for closeup and soon to have Tiablo A9 for med distances will cover 90% of my uses. If I want to spot med to far distances, I'll use my ROP or WA1185. But for really far distances out comes the CC.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different Flashlights for Different Tasks?

depends: my 6P Cree multistage mod is all I need. From navigating at night, to hiking (if I use a light then) to bike nightriding.

But fore sure I have a different light with me --> to borrow it to other ppl, should the need arise
:)

Windscale

Enlightened
Now I am new to this forum. I had no idea there was so much to know about flashlights. I can't believe how much one flashlight is different from another. Seems to most people that as long as it turns on in the dark, then that's all that matters.

Theoretically you are right.
But most of us here have committed this sin called Flashaholism and we do not repent!
Welcome to CPF. You will soon see the light!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, different lights for different tasks.

A police officer wouldn't use a 1AAA Dorcy light to seach the woods at night for a suspect.

But you wouldn't want to use a Surefire M6 for those times you get up in the middle of the night, need to use the bathroom, and don't want to turn on your house lights because you'll wake up others.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Probably the most significant bit of knowledge which CPF'ers possess:

Different situations require different levels of lighting.

Yep, pretty bloomin' obvious to all of us, eh ?

But the "rest of the world" doesn't know any better. :whistle:

This is why we carry more than one flashlight.

--- or ---

this is why we carry a flashlight with multiple levels.

(or perhaps even both !) :)

Just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears,

we want a flashlight that is:

not too dim, and not too bright,

but Just Right ! :thumbsup:

_

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is also why the multi-level lights are so popular, and really the only logical direction for new lights to go. I can't see myself buying anything without that capability, unless it was really cheap or a throw monster. For pocket lights the recent multi-levels are great little tools.

Geoff

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Seems to most people that as long as it turns on in the dark, then that's all that matters.
To anyone other than a Flashaholic this is true! If you have a flashlight and it turns on, you are good to go. Now for this bunch, No way! It has to be smaller than a AAA battery and brighter than the sun with multiple levels and the ability to adjust from flood to throw and have different colors! Did I mention long run time and the ability to run on rechargeables?