confused about building a light

Spareair

Newly Enlightened
Ok.....
I am looking to build a super freaky light for underwater use.
I know there was a thread and directions to build a "quad Lux" maglight flashlight.
I am trying to find that and some other information.

I would like some help in preparing a shopping list to build the guts of the light as I am a super noob on flashlight building.

I do have some knowlage in electronics......but like I said, green in building flashlights.

I presently have a couple of d size mag heads that I modified to work with mr16 halogen bulbs and they work great. I even built my own battery case...but it was to heavy with 2 x 12v 7amp batteries.

- so I am not worried about heat as the lights would be used underwater in a maglight head.
- batteries will be built into a seperate water tight case and I would like specs on batteries that would give me about 3 hrs run time.
- can I put the driver and batteries in a case with a power cord going to the light head to run the lights.

shopping list....
-type of LED or Crees
-driver or components to control them
-batteries and configuration
-charger required
-parts or components you might think I would need.

you can PM me....post here...or ask for my e-mail.......

thanks in advance

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Spare... You know with a project as specialized as you are attempting...I would really suggest you start like most of us...and spend a good couple months reading and follow as many posts as will help you. I'm sure what you want can be done. With a bit of luck some of the more knowledgeable CPF members will offer ideas. You are in luck..the new cree Q2 and Q5 Leds are just out....and with a decent reflector- might offer just what you need. The new c cell size li-ion might suit you just fine. The 18650 size in series/parallel might also work well for you.

If you don't get enough replies...you might try again later, but will a better description in the post title....

Again, welcome...take your time to learn- good luck with your project.

Last edited: