Flashlights bad for our health?

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from Target and saw the Lumilite 2660 4D Lantern
black rubber Xenon, 4 D-cell, $10. Cool light! nice form factor...

http://www.lumilite.com/flash/product_steel_list.asp#s5

Almost bought it!

Then I saw on the back of the package the warning "this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects". So they lost a sale from me. I avoid stuff like that whenever possible. All these cheap materials are killing and deforming kids and causing serious health problems. I suspect the chemical is lead and I wouldn't think of using lead paint in my house. I have seen other products like cell phone headsets with the same warning and I refused to buy those too. One cell phone headset package had the nerve to say "wash hands after using this product". Yea ok, I'll wash up each time I touch my headset... :shakehead

I ain't washin ma hands every time I touch ma light/headset/wall!

Plus with China in the news lately about the lead toys and toxic products they are shipping here to the US... makes me wonder if those Chinese flashlights we talk about have any lead paint or other chemicals that we should worry about.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those carcinogen warning labels are absolutely everywhere. Flashlights, like pretty much all electrical products, usually contain solder (at a minimum). Lead-free solder is not very commonly used, AFAIK. Batteries can also be hazardous, especially lithium cells. Another common carcinogen-containing commodity is gasoline, even the unleaded kind.

Basically, just be careful, and be aware of what you're handling. Wash your hands before eating, especially if you've just soldered something, filled up your car's tank, been at a shooting range, etc.

It can sometimes be hard to draw the line between a "real" warning label and a litigated one.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I visited my friend's apt bldg, and there was a sign in the lobby stating the same thing, some general warning about there being hazardous materials present. He suggested that there might be lead in the paint somewhere. Maybe lead in the pipes?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I visited my friend's apt bldg, and there was a sign in the lobby stating the same thing, some general warning about there being hazardous materials present. He suggested that there might be lead in the paint somewhere. Maybe lead in the pipes?
I don't think leaded pipes are used much anymore, since that could put it into direct contact with potable water. If it's an older building, the pipes could be rusty steel.

The hazard could be some sort of asbestos. :shrug: FYI, there are several kinds of asbestos, and not all of them are unsafe.

But back to flashlights: don't eat/inhale/etc. the components, and you'll reduce the danger.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall the big deal about lead was some kids were eating lead paint flakes. ?? Whatever. Paint more often. Feed your kid more often. There was an old lady across the street, lived to be over 100, drank water out of lead pipes all her life. Who knows. Personally, lead is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. Now lithium I have a big respect for ;)

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
Lead still is used in some cheap extension cords too. Be alert if you have small children in the house. It's even more dangerous to small growing children and with the Chinese made products, sometimes things get by the poor inspection process.

A few years ago lead was found in vinyl lunch boxes and it wasn't known to the public first. Food could have come in contact and gotten into the kids.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The most hazardous thing for me about flashlights is the lack of sleep from staying up late on this forum. And, I've probably breathed a lot of extra exhaust fumes from driving around looking for them.

Geoff

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are most likely talking about the rubber on the outside of that flashlight. It's made from petroleum products and those all have that CA warning. Unless you plan on eating the rubber off it I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe wash your hands if you've been holding it a lot. I'm very big on doing things healthy but you guys are beginning to worry me - you are starting to look a lot like Monk (detective in the TV series). :laughing:
Hilarious show if you've never seen it BTW.

soffiler

Enlightened
... Then I saw on the back of the package the warning "this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects". So they lost a sale from me. I avoid stuff like that whenever possible...

Do you really avoid stuff like that? Do you have any idea how many common chemicals are on Cali's hit list?

How about aspirin, for starters. Beverages containing alcohol. Asphalt. Coffee. Soot. Chemotherapy (Yes - the treatment for cancer, causes cancer, according to Cali). Vehicle emissions. Antifreeze. Solder that joins copper pipe in many homes. The US 5-cent coin. Oral contraceptives. Sand. Gasoline. Urethane.

And many hundreds of chemical compounds in normal, routine usage in products found in homes and businesses nationwide and worldwide.

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-groups/one-list.tcl?short_list_name=p65

Of course, there are a number of chemicals on the list that are seriously bad news. But there are also chemicals on the list that you'd have to eat by the pound, daily, for years, before running any serious risk - casual contact with them every now and then is about as harmless as life itself can possibly be.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you have a light with those cheap CR123s and it blows up in your front pocket, this would be very bad for the health of your future children.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I read this warning label on a friends USB cord to his MP3, player. I was shocked that stuff like this is allowed to be sold. If you should wash your hands after handling stuff like that! Its insaine! Maybe its there just to be super cautios...

soffiler

Enlightened
I read this warning label on a friends USB cord to his MP3, player. I was shocked that stuff like this is allowed to be sold. If you should wash your hands after handling stuff like that! Its insaine! Maybe its there just to be super cautios...

I don't know the facts, but I'd bet my house that the warnings are there at the insistence of a lawyer, not a scientist. See my previous post. The California list is the insane part, not the labelling it provokes.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you really avoid stuff like that? Do you have any idea how many common chemicals are on Cali's hit list?

How about aspirin, for starters. Beverages containing alcohol. Asphalt. Coffee. Soot. Chemotherapy (Yes - the treatment for cancer, causes cancer, according to Cali). Vehicle emissions. Antifreeze. Solder that joins copper pipe in many homes. The US 5-cent coin. Oral contraceptives. Sand. Gasoline. Urethane.

umm, so like, are you going to put antifreeze, gasoline, ethanol fuel, and asphault in your mouth?

soffiler

Enlightened
umm, so like, are you going to put antifreeze, gasoline, ethanol fuel, and asphault in your mouth?

Who said anything about a mouth?

The original poster was worried about touching a lantern with his hands because it carried the Cali warning.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said anything about a mouth?

The original poster was worried about touching a lantern with his hands because it carried the Cali warning.

hands , you mean like the hand you rub your face and eyes with? the ones you eat with? there are compounds in some plastics that go INTO the skin, like a solvent, well because they are solvents of sorts.

you make it sound as if the california list, is a bunch of Hoowey, but most of what you listed , isnt exactally something we would be rolling around in, in a more natural enviroment.

I certannly wouldnt have a problem with the toxic stuff they are making in china, i WOULD hold it in my hand, but to completly dismiss what is being learned about the plastics degassing, and leaving toxic oils and stuff , is to get sick from stuff , for no reason. myself i havent been sick in YEARS, but then i live in california :) eat off of lead painted plates, and siphen antifreeze with my mouth :)

Last edited: