Overnight shipping option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gransee on 8-21-07 HERE.

Hey guys, I have a question for you. For awhile we have offered fedex overnight as an option for US customers. It doesn't get used often, but usually when it does, the customer complains that the product didn't arrive the next day. I can understand why. They probably didn't read the text on the order page that says we try to ship out each order within 3 business days and assume that overnight shipping means we will get their order to the carrier that same day.

I copied the 3 day notice to 2 more places on our website. maybe it will get read more now. I would rather continue to offer the overnight shipping option. But if we continue to get complaints, it might be easier to just remove the option.

I would say the problem is a combination of our busy lifestyle, too much stuff that requires reading to do a simple task, that fact we are a small company and don't have the staff (or sometimes the stock) to ship orders same day (even then we would have to add a note about cut off times, etc), offering a shipping option that seems to imply next day delivery from order button pressed, etc.

For most people in the US, the best value is the fedex express saver. this gets to most US addresses in about 2 days from when we ship. Sometimes, we can ship the same day and they get the order the next day using express saver and then they come on the CPF and tell everyone they got the order within 24hrs of order submitted and then the next day we ship an order that arrives in 4 days and the customer is dissapointed.

what do you think?

peter

Greta

Flashaholic
Copied Replies:

roberttheiii08-22-2007 11:34 AM
Re: Overnight shipping option

I would say keep it, of course, if you continue to get complaints maybe its easier just to get rid of it, but your policy, a day after shipping, is standard practice in my experience. Even if these individuals aren't reading your policy one would think through our mail order lifestyles customers would come to realize its 24 hours post shipping.

cy08-22-2007 11:43 AMRe: Overnight shipping option

get rid of it!

simply not worth it. sure folks pay extra for the express delivery service. but they never pay for the RUSH labor by shipper.

then if something goes wrong... and say its a day late. buyer then want a refund for not getting it by next day. a royal PITA!

most folks don't realize it's next day from time of shipment. so if normal shipment is 2-3 days, let's say package gets our in normal time of say 2 days. that means customer gets pkg in 3 days.

then buyer is mad as hell and wants a refund on shipping charges.
NOT...

I quit offering an overnight option.

WTH08-23-2007 03:36 PMRe: Overnight shipping option

Is the 2-3 day lead time a necessity? If not, maybe you could give higher priority order processing to those willing to pay the extra money for overnight shipping? If so, you could even tack on an extra $5 or something to make priority processing worth your while (above and beyond the cost of overnight shipping).

Gransee08-23-2007 04:19 PMRe: Overnight shipping option

We don't have the labor to prioritize orders. Sometimes we can't even ship in 3 days because we don't have the stock. but as you know, sometimes we do ship much earlier.

peter

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said:
We don't have the labor to prioritize orders. Sometimes we can't even ship in 3 days because we don't have the stock. but as you know, sometimes we do ship much earlier."

if that's the case, then i really think it would be in everyone's best interest to get rid of the "overnight" option.
it would alleviate a lot of hassle for you and a lot of frustration for the customer expecting the item the next day or even the day after.

there can always be special arrangements made on a case by case basis.

d_clark

Newly Enlightened
I would say get rid of the overnight shipping option. Granted most people probably don't read the details, but why would (should) they pay for overnight shipping if it takes 2-3 days to fill the order IF you have the item in stock.

Have standard shipping and be done with it.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.