Future LED types

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifJust wondering if anybody knows anything about the future LEDs. Very recently, lumileds came up with the 1 and 5 watt luxeons. Do any other companys have plans for similar items and/or does lumileds have future plans for more LEDS? Thanks for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that there are some Nichia 2 watt led's in the offing, or at least in the press releasing. When we will get them to start playing with is anybodies guess. Especially since they can't even meet demand for their higher end 5mm white LED's...

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the future LEDs. Very recently, lumileds came up with the 1 and 5 watt luxeons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would also like to know. On one of the flashlight enthusiast web sites I've seen a 5W Luxeon modded to a Surefire. It occurs to me that a set of four Surefires fitted with 5W Luxeons, properly harnessed to your bike handlebars, would make a powerful (+ versatile) set of near flood headlights. This based on my experience with the 1Ws in MagAAs. (I think you'd want a lense less wide than this Surefire mod, however.)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
..... It occurs to me that a set of four Surefires fitted with 5W Luxeons, properly harnessed to your bike handlebars, would make a powerful (+ versatile) set of near flood headlights........

[/ QUOTE ]

You might do better financially, with better runtime and excellent bright flood using one of the high rated HID bike lights.

Brightnorm

muggsuxx

Newly Enlightened
Stanley Electronics exhibited LED base headlight at some show last summer. They said it will be out around 2006. I sent an e-mail for the details; got no reply.

Sanken Electronics is shipping samples - 42lm for yellow LED, 74lm for red.
http://www.ednjapan.com/l_news/2002/09/27sanken_redLED.html

Matsushita just released....as you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jonathan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
muggsuxx said:

Sanken Electronics is shipping samples - 42lm for yellow LED, 74lm for red.
http://www.ednjapan.com/l_news/2002/09/27sanken_redLED.html

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooooooooohhhhh
sanken_redLED.jpg

Also see:
Sanken News Release

-Jon