Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody buy me one and I`ll review it, gladly
wink.gif
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10X has not been available for quite a while. It appears it should start shipping again RSN. I have a pair on order from 10/2001.

Evidently they have had a lot of issues with the bulbs that are supposedly fixed now.

Also, the original ones came with lexan lenses, but pyrex ones are supposed to be out around July. No word yet if the ones on mega-backorder will ship out as lexan or pyrex.

This is somewhat an issue as there are reports that the lexan lens can melt in under 5mins with constaint usage on the high setting. It is unclear how long you can use it with the pyrex lens, but at least your lens won't melt.

Price has also gone up a lot on it as well as the M6. I think I paid about $250 for mine and it looks like the best you can do is about $340.

Reports are the beam is wider (more flood) than the M6.

There were a couple of reports on this board about the lights. One of the major reviews (see link, above) had basically all good things to say.

Feedback from KT indicates it may not work well with a handgun, at least for some people. Of course, since the switch is in the rear it appears that they were probably trying to make it tactical friendly but if this is what you have in mind you may want to see if you can try one before you commit. It's really too bad they couldn't add a second switch on the side ala Maglite and cover all the bases.

There are mixed impressions about how sturdy they are, but I've not heard of anyone breaking one (except for the bulb/lens issues).

I don't think they are waterproof (I don't understand why all Surefire lights are not waterproof).

I don't know, but I don't think the bulb is shock isolated like the M6.

On the upside, 3 hrs of 60lu light and 500+ lumens when you need it. Rechargable. Small(ish). Did I say "!!!!!!" ?!

If I was considering one I would definately wait until you can get the pyrex lens.

If that is the case, the only down side would be the max runtime on the high setting. I would hope a full size light like the 10X and M6 could run for extended periods on high - heck, they only have 20mins. of battery on this setting.

All in all it seems like the 10X should be a very nice light, and one that there isn't a lot of alternatives to. We'll see how things pan out when they start shipping.

-john

Suggestions (IMO):

1) waterproof please!
2) full size lights should run until the batteries run out!
3) no plastic lenses please!
4) it would be nice to have an even dimmer mode, maybe an LED or two for when you don't want to call attention to yourself 5) shock isolated please.
5) second switch would be cool

Size15's

Flashaholic
Making NiCad's or rechargeables in general is asking for trouble. They vent gases.

The 10X lamps are not shock isolated.

On highbeam, I did not melt the Lexan lens after 5 minutes - although it was very hot. Through use, the lens has thinned very slightly in the centre of the beam. No loss of beam quality or damage unless you look real closely.

I think the TailCap switch is perfectly located. It's also a two-stage switch so placing it near the Bezel would create major problems.

On the size front, they are a lot smaller then you expect. Being the largest released SureFire , it's still smaller then many other flashlights. None can match it's output.

If you need 500Lu+ for any extended length of time, perhaps current SureFires are not the right lights for your application. To make it small, the runtime has to reduce.

I agree, the 10X really does require a Pyrex Lens. Shock isolation would be great if it didn't increase the Bezel size too much.

Carry options are vital. PK has a number of protoz (reference his site).

I use the 10X quite a lot. I think it's a fantastic light. 500+Lu for free (well rechargeable) - it's ability to project a wall of light is amazing.

Al

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
On highbeam, I did not melt the Lexan lens after 5 minutes - although it was very hot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen a post here or the Surefire forum where someone did melt their lens at around 5mins use. Surefire replaced the unit and suggested he not do that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
I think the TailCap switch is perfectly located. It's also a two-stage switch so placing it near the Bezel would create major problems.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this point I'm reserving judgement. I'll see what I think when I have mine and use it a bit. I suspect I'm going to be a little less picky than KT regarding the ergonomics. Also, I wasn't suggesting they lose the switch at the tailcap, but was thinking adding a additional one. As for the engineering, I suspect Surefire could pull it off. :)

On the size front, they are a lot smaller then you expect. Being the largest released SureFire , it's still smaller then many other flashlights. None can match it's output.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't mean to suggest it was big. I would say it compares very favorable when compared to a Magcharger and as Al says, functionally wise, there is nothing to compare it to.

If you need 500Lu+ for any extended length of time, perhaps current SureFires are not the right lights for your application. To make it small, the runtime has to reduce.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not complaining that it only has 20 mins of runtime. What I don't like is I can use it on high for 20 mins. I think this was an acceptable tradeoff with the 12PM, but I think the 10X should at least be as good as the M6 in this regard.

I agree, the 10X really does require a Pyrex Lens. Shock isolation would be great if it didn't increase the Bezel size too much.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the M6 is the benchmark in this respect. It is very small and they integrated the shock isolation. I don't see any reason the 10X should not be as good as the M6. After all, the 10X came out after the M6 and the 10X was designed from scratch. No baggage to bring along.

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS, I don't mean to sound like I don't really like it, because I do.

-john

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There are dealers that have them in stock. E-mail me if you want info so you can order and have them in a few days. You guys are nuts to have waited months!!! I would die of anticipation.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as I pointed out I'd probably lose a hundred bucks each since I ordered them before the price increase. If I was going to do that I might as well wait until I was sure I could get a Pyrex version.

-john

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
SF actually started shipping OLD backorders on these lights close to two weeks ago. From July 2001ish I believe. Also, I was told, these HAVE the pyrex lenses. They are not retrofittable (is that really a word? It is NOW!) to the old lexan if you were one of the owners of the original 300 ones that were released last October. You'll have to get a new bezel unit. Not a freebie, I'm afraid.

To address an earlier post above- the 10x runs for 20 minutes (18 really) at ~550-600 lumens using the 60+500 lu lamps. You'll get about 10 minutes at the 110+500 lamps. Neither are recommended for running for the full runtime at that output, however- lexan OR pyrex. The M6 runs for 20 minutes at 500 or one hour at 250 lu.

The tail switch is, in my opinion, the best feature next to the output. Push a bit, get 60 lu (or 110)- push a bit harder and get 500-600+ depending on lamp setup. Twist the head to lock on either beam. Extra switches would be just that- extra and IMO aren't needed.

It's too bezel heavy for use with a handgun- do-able, but not comfortably or reliably. They are not shock isolated lights, but the nitrolon is a better overall shock absober than aluminum (aluminium for you guys across the pond) so it can take some abuse better. My son has beaten my 10x against my c.1986 6D maglight with no damage to either one yet. He broke a table lamp with the 10x using it as a club, however- no damage to the flashlight.

The 10x is designed for different uses than the M6. The M6 is for high-power tactical situations. The 10x is a duty light that is designed more the more pedestrian uses like traffic stops with the 60/110 lu option with the 500+ as an immediate tool if the SHTF. One of the local constabulary wants to relieve me of one of my 10x's - fits nicely under the arm for writing out tickets and whatnot with the 60 lu beam as constant on.

The pictures don't show up because the site they were hosted on- Photopoint- went belly up. Email me if you want pictures- if you do, note your internet connection speed- so I can send reasonably-sized photos (they are ~3MB each).

If I were in your shoes, John N., I'd wait for the backorder at the old price.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Flanagan:
My son has beaten my 10x against my c.1986 6D maglight with no damage to either one yet. He broke a table lamp with the 10x using it as a club, however- no damage to the flashlight.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sure don't want to meet your son in a dark alley! :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Flanagan:
If I were in your shoes, John N., I'd wait for the backorder at the old price.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Thanks for all the info, Tim.

-john