Striker VG or Defender D2AX?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What do you need the light for?

I think the longest throwing LED, besides a asperical mod, would be the Tiablo A8 Q5 or the A9. Those two lights use the brightest/most efficient LED with a deep reflector to get 100m+ throw. Review/comparison, another comparison, another Review. The Pelican 7060 is also a pretty good throwing light. Review, Review by a LEO. The Striker VG(Luxeon version) They need to upgrade their site and their light since the newer LEDs have twice the efficiency of the Luxeon used in the Striker, twice the light for the same input power. The Striker has up to 7000 lux at 1m and I'm guessing the D2Ax to be about the same. Striker Vs D2AX, I would pick the D2AX unless you can get a hold of a Seoul Striker(about twice the amount of light as the normal Striker) and need the extra modes.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

Jamesmark72

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot for your help. Im wanting to use it for temporarily blinding someone-defense. Im not familiar with modding these lights yet. Where can i get the aspheric mag with the Q2?

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I own a seouled Striker (VG HC) from batteryjunction (no longer available, but check cpfmarketplace) and love it for the throw. A friend of mine just purchased the Tiablo A8 and when comparing the two we noticed overall greater output from the Striker, more spill from the Tiablo (this was with a textured reflector) with a tighter central spot for the Tiablo as well. The Striker is slightly longer and much heavier - has a much nicer, more substantial feel in the hand to me. I suspect the Tiablo could outthrow the modded Striker with the proper reflector (smooth reflector?). Personally, I prefer the optic of the Striker to the Tiablo's textured reflector because it produces a smooth and substantially larger hotspot, and still gives some spill. The Striker also has a strobe mode which supposedly is more effective in a defensive situation as it can disorient an attacker. I'm really not so sure how effective it would be in a practical situation. I suspect beaming a good thrower into someone's face would be sufficient to temporarily blind and disorient, so basically anything with good throw and a bright emitter (preferably >200 lumens) should work, but it should be in a dark environment.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, just having throw is not enough to blind someone. I thought you needed throw because you need to spot thing in the wild. Just having a light for defense is no recommended, you know that.

How big would you like the light to be?
Cost?
Batteries?
Quality?
EDC, every day carry?

The asperical Maglite is a DIY mod and only has a hotspot and no spill, not a useful light, the Tiablo can be had at batteryjunction and PTS. IMO, the Tiablo is a bit too big for carrying with you everywhere unless you have a hoister(the maglite is even bigger), I'm saying from the picture since I don't have one my self, and the beam pattern seems to narrow for most uses. For more of an smaller light, multimode light, maybe a Fenix P3D-Rebel 100 light, P2D-Rebel 100, L2D-Rebel 100 or L1Tv.2 or L2T v2(the last two have a forward clickie and two modes). Or something similar sized.

Do you already have a Maglite or a Surefire, if yes, then you could get a bright drop-in for your light. Malkoffdevices(Gene43 on CPF), he makes then by hand so they are hard to come by. There are also many P60 compatable Drop-ins here at this thread.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
A light with ~200 lumens output or more, to *dark-adjusted* eyes, will temporarily make it very difficult to see (I know because I've tried it on myself). It destroys your night vision for quite a while.

I wasn't recommending it for self defence - but, if you read the thread, that is what he said he would like to have it for and I feel it can be effective, if only briefly and certainly not during the day. You can't argue that a good light won't give you a tactical advantage (eg weapon mount). Judging by the lights he's considering, I think he's looking for something fairly compact and both of those lights are fairly pocketable (if not EDCs). Just don't expect it to drop an attacker! :laughing:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
I cant make up my mine between these 2 lights. I want the longest throw possible.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-103-101-6317

http://www.ledlogic.com/striker.htm
Both are nice lights with the Wolf Eyes having the perfect balance of spot and flood and the Striker with great throw. I think a good compromise to both would be the Fenix P3D Rebel 100 with a smooth reflector (which was already mentioned).

The new OLight T20 with a Cree Q5 you might want to consider as well :D

There are so many good flashlights out there to consider, I wish you luck deciding on just one.

Jamesmark72

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Too many choices. No, im not using just a light for defense. I carry OC and a taser also. Some people dont react as quick to the OC, but magnified with a good light would make a world of difference.

Jamesmark72

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one from you today. I talked to you today from Arkansas. Im gonna order the Striker also when they come out with their new one. Can't wait to try it out.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, sure - it's so hard to associate user ID's with real names usually but yours is pretty obvious in retrospect. :)

You light will ship today - let us know what you think!