light weapon

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

over the past few weeks ive been busy buying replacements for my old incan flashlights with LED .
An L2D premium 100 replaced my AA maglite with Terralux drop in
the Surefire D3 dumped for an A9
the Maglite 4D was kept but modded with a Terralux drop in and aspheric lens.
(I also got 3 NS raws but thats another story :D)

At the weekend my father took a look at the modded 4D mag as he would like a new flashlight for home and self defense .
As we are in the UK this is about all we can use to defend our homes :thumbsdow so he asked me to buy him one and make the mods.

Can you recommend anything that could be more effective as a flashlight+ cub/ baton combo.
the 4D is heavy and as he's 67 I think something a little lighter would be better such as a magcharger or ultrastinger to help in an emergency situation.
i thought about a 4C mag but then we start getting into a gray area as ill need to mod it.
the best price i can get a Mag in the UK is around £20 + drop in LED £20 and I'm still left with that nasty ringy beam unless I buy another lens from the US and pay another £10 in shipping

basically $100 usd for an average flashlight :(

runtime isn't an issue but a couple of hours would be nice,either LED or Incan but must be a nice " wall of light" so in my mind the magcharger is looking like the best "off the shelf" buy

what would / have you guy got ?

many thanks

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'd have to agree with your magcharger pick. It's brighter than the Ultrastinger although a bit larger. The WA1160 can be droped in there for output in the neighborhood of 400 lumens or so...If I remember correctly. It's probably just fine left stock too..his choice.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I believe so Steve. As long as you purchase the charger that is compatible with your power outlets..that should be the only difference. Whichever dealer you end up purchasing it from will probably be able to help you with that.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC is a very good flashlight, but I don't know if it can be really used for self defense...some time ago thare was a thread where someone asked for the perfect CLUB/FLASHLIGHT combo and seemed that the best light was mag 6D...
I know that it's havy but it is also long and can realli be used as a club...with a 3D size will be different.

maybe I'd like to suggest a mag 6D with some light batteries...not some havy alks...(I think that will be better to have a light and long bat to hit some one instead of using an havy one...)
I think that a 6C mag lite would be the best...I can't belive that maglite has stopped the production:(

so at the and:
if you want a ready light without any MOD get a MC. is a great light and you can upgrade it simply.
if you can wait to do some mods I suggest a mag 6D

:wave:
good luck