When will the R2, R3 and R4 Cree-binned LEDs be available?

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I know the Q5 just came out, but does anyone know when the R4 will be released? Is the rumor of the R2 coming by the end of the year true as well?

And, how do they differ honestly? Can someone explain how the "bins" work? I know it's a better quality, but explain why and how please.

Thanks,
Ryan

easilyled

Flashaholic
I know the Q5 just came out, but does anyone know when the R4 will be released? Is the rumor of the R2 coming by the end of the year true as well?

And, how do they differ honestly? Can someone explain how the "bins" work? I know it's a better quality, but explain why and how please.

Thanks,
Ryan

Here is a link showing the flux (output) of the different bins for all the
main leds:-

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fluxvfig5.jpg

Once you've brought up the page, if you click again, it will magnify it
to show the figures clearly

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
easilyled,

First off, what does the chart mean...

jmoney16,

Secondly, how does the X bin rebel compare?

Thanks,
Ryan

jmoney16

Newly Enlightened
i got the x bin rebel off the chart

and if the chart is correct the x bin rebel will be 2.3 times brighter (300 lumens) than the r4 cree (130 lumens)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
What rebel do have now in the rebel, and when does the x come out? And does it produce that much with the same amount of power?

Ryan

jmoney16

Newly Enlightened
Could be wrong but I *THINK* it's M or N bin right now for rebel, someone else could probably confirm that or give a better answer...as to the X i have no idea, i was being facetious...but according to the chart, yes that is with the same amount of power (350 mA)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
So... it is a for-sure thing that the X bin does indeed exist and is going to come out? So, soon, we'll have like 3000 lumen lights?

Hmm... a 300 lumen Novatc 120P... wow!

jmoney16

Newly Enlightened
I'd wager that the chart more likely is educated guesses extrapolated from previously commercialized LEDs (currently available ones and past ones). If that is the case then the X bin is just a hypothetical conjecture as to what continued development of that product line will lead to.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some of those bin codes are more like theoretical limits. For example the Luxeon III shows an X bin code producing up to 249 Lumens! U bins were largely unobtanium and have only recently become a bit more common but as far as I know there has never been anything above a U bin Lux III much less an X bin. Maybe a super rare V bin but I don't think I've run across that even. Don't hold your breath for an X bin Rebel. They are pushing ahead much faster now but I don't think they will be common anytime soon.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
I knew it too go to be true. So, how are people making these SSC P4 Maglite mods and getting like 250+ lumens out of one LED? I really want to do one of those, but I have NO idea where to begin. I've seen multiple do-it-yourself threads, but it seems that there are so many different routes to take how do you decide? Any of you done one before?

Thanks,
Ryan

P.S. Also, what's the deal with the Osram Ostar led that have a max of 800+ I see that they're on a migher Mah rating, but still, what's the deal with them and why doesn't anyone talk of them?

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
High output, but typically (historically) bad efficiency in comparison to CREE / lumileds. Plus, something about the size of the die and reflectoring...Can't remember. Sorry.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew it too go to be true. So, how are people making these SSC P4 Maglite mods and getting like 250+ lumens out of one LED?...
The chart shows the specs for each bin at the drive current listed below each LED type [350mA for most and 700mA for Ostar]. Lumens above that mean the LED is being driven harder than the listed current. At these higher drive currents heat becomes more of an issue and efficiency [run-time] suffers.

P.S. Also, what's the deal with the Osram Ostar led that have a max of 800+ I see that they're on a migher Mah rating, but still, what's the deal with them and why doesn't anyone talk of them?
As far as I know [I'm no expert] the Ostars need a lot of power to run and make a lot of heat. Not so good for handheld lights, better for uses such as cars.

At the bottom of each LED type there is a "Vf" section [voltage forward - minimum voltage needed to power the LED]. For the Ostar it lists LEWx2 - I'm not sure what that means exactly.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the Ostar is also high voltage 14V or 21V. Most people would not want to carry around a 12D or 18D mag. The trend is towards smaller lights nowadays.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
What cars are using LED headlights? I heard that Lexus and Audi are... who else? And what LEDs are good for this application, only Ostar?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else holding out for the R4 bin cree for their next light purchase? Hopefully we will see them by mid year.