laser engraving on bare aluminum?

carlosliu

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I recently purchased an ORB Alu Raw. Is it possible to engrave on its bare aluminum body? I did a search on internet, it seems that most laser engraving is happened on anodized body.

Thanks.

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about engraving but as you can cut mirrors and even glass with lasers it should be possible.
It might be an idea to ask whoever you had in mind for doing the job if it works.

I know 4sevens have a laser engraver. You could PM him or go to his site at
http://www.fenix-store.com/

greenLED

Flashaholic
One more vote for 4sevens. He's got a rotating device in his engraver that allows him to do custom work around lights. Most places on the 'net will only engrave length-wise.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The laser engraving on anodized aluminum is done on a finished product. Most aluminum products have some kind of finish, usually anodize. I do not know of any reason that raw aluminum can not be laser engraved. The only negative that I can think of is that it will not stand out as much visually. The alumnium will oxidize over time and the laser engraving will be less noticable.

greenLED

Flashaholic
IIRC, 4sevens has some type of additive that makes the engraving look black on the bare metal. I remember him talking about it and posting pics of a custom logo someone sent him for engraving on a bezel of some sort.

DM51

Flashaholic
modamag engraved numbers on his early Draco models - he might be able to point you in the right direction.