Streamlight 2AA ProPolymer LED Light mini-review

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 2AA ProPolymer LED Light mini-review

I have just received 3 of these – first impressions are very positive. Long runtime with enough light for most common jobs.

Light output ceiling bounce - just under a Fenix L2D-CE at Medium. Nice smallish hot spot to reach out with side spill that works fine for walking around in a no light area house or street. A bit less light than a 2AA MagLED but much longer run time.

Streamlight rates the output at 25 Lumens. Comparing to other lights looks accurate.

Yellow can't corrode molded nylon body should also be nice in a marine environment, looks good as a light that can be kicked around without worrying. The Diameter of the LED housing ( 1.30 inch or 3.30 cm ) is bigger than a Mag or Fenix so not as nice fit into a pocket. Yellow body is not shiny so a bit less appealing to have legs grow and walk off. There is a lanyard hole by the head but no lanyard is furnished. The length is 6.60 inches or 16.00 cm. Molded pocket clip. Rubber coated facecap with Polycarbonate lens and O ring seal.
Weight 3.6 oz ( 100 grams ) with supplied alkaline batteries.

Pushbutton tail switch with molded protection to help prevent accidental activation.
Polarity protection using molded side projections on lamp housing.
This light is a bit larger than one usually thinks of holding in your teeth but the nylon body and light weight makes holding in your teeth ok.

Dust and waterproof to IP57 spec. EN60529:1992. Don't know what it means but Streamlight is proud of it – with the O ring at the head and the sealed switch this should be quite dunkable.

Run time:

about 20 hrs with the supplied Alkaline batteries
about 16 or 17 hrs with 2000 mah NiMh Eneloop batteries
about 27 hours with Energizer E2 1.5v Lithium batteries

Run Time Notes: Times to 50% to 60% brightness as judged by looking at the current draw and voltage into the regulated electronics - the milliwatt power draw was quite consistent into the electronics. ( sorry I don't have a light meter to do a nice runtime chart ). I looped the power through a Fluke 87 DMM and Fluke 77 DMM to get the volts, amps and watts. I then calculated a bit over the max power I saw going into the electronics and declared victory a bit before 50% was reached to compensate for the extra resistance etc. I would love to see a runtime graph of this light. The power curve was real flat during the early stages and a gentle slope in the latter part before dropping off.

Run Time Note ( 2 ):

I took the Alkaline cells in the above test and put them in a 2nd ProPoly 2AA LED and left the light running – I checked the light level until 80 hours – a low light level - but the light is STILL ON!! - in a small room - still enough light to move around, brush my teeth or what ever - even read a bit if you are up close - me thinks this light would be on my must carry if I was working in an area that I might need to wait a long time for rescue with no power.

Energizer Lithium E2 1.5v battery note:

Streamlight rates this light for Alkaline batteries – I think if you ask Streamlight they would reply ALKALINE – this light carries a long series of safety ratings for Hazardous Locations, those ratings are expensive to test to, so I think that Streamlight just did not want to spend the money. I put in a fresh pair of Energizer Lithium E2 1.5v cells, the peak power for the first minute was 420mw until the cells dropped to 360mw - the LED is rated at 500mw.

Faults: The paint on the side for the name and battery size rubbed off easy – but a short scrub in the kitchen sink with some Scotch Brite and soap and a bright yellow body. Niggling point - The attach point for a lanyard ( not supplied but I used one from a Keymate ) is by the head so if you let the light hang on the lanyard the beam goes up - I put a short piece of cord back to the switch end with a couple of Couble Constrictor knots and much better.

I like the little light and will probably give several to my friends and relatives at Christmas. $ 18-- on line. Looks like a good light for people in hurricane ally, rugged, good light for moving around and common jobs, should survive a tool box, and great run time a regulation.

ProPoly%202AA%20-%20Light.JPG
ProPoly%202AA%20-%20Beam.JPG

ProPoly 2AA with the obligatory other 2AA light and a 6 inch scale

Beam Shot from 24 inches - The center beam is 3 1/4 inches in person ( the camera made the center beam larger for some reason ) - the outer beam circle is 33 inches - still a few bugs in my beam shot - the marker is 6 inches long.

ProPoly%202AA%20-%20Lamp.jpg

Lamp assembly and retainer with a 6 inch scale.

Streamlight web page.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=131

Runtime graph complements of and copyright by Roger H. Chevrofreak.

Streamlight%20ProPolymer%202AA%20LED.png

Hope this helps folks -

Mb

Other Reactions to this light from an earlier posting of mine:
djblank87

1. Good run time.
2. Cheap to run.
3. Pocket clip.
4. Pretty tough light.

All in all a decent emergency light for keeping in the car, drawer, office and so on. Lumens output is low but is advertised correctly, in my opinion.

One of mine, I have thrown against the wall, dropped it from three stories up on purpose and then skipped it across the ground for a good thirty feet and it still runs fine, the tail switch is a little touchy but it is still works.

ringzero:
I'm a huge fan of all the plastic-body, safety-rated, drop-tested, waterproof lights from Streamlight, UK, Pelican, KBS, etc.

I really like TOUGH lights that can handle being dropped and banged around in a toolbox without any doubt as to their survival.

This 2AA light looks to be another great little emergency/backup/utility light for the car trunk or the toolbox. Also looks ideal for outdoors activities.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, looks like a good emergency light. Quite economical too ($17.95 at Bright Guy although currently out of stock). As mentioned, they rate this at 25 lumens while the 4AA Polypro is rated at 40 lumens but this kills in in runtime even though it's two cells less.

Now I have a River Rock 0.5W light (from Target). I assume the Streamlight Polypro will handily beat it in brightness?

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Looking at a .5w River Rock on Flashlightreviews.com I estimate that the ProPoly 2AA LED is about 2x the power and throw - the regulation and battery life is much better also.

mb

planex

Newly Enlightened
This sounds like a pretty good light. The price is right too. Looks like I might have to get one myself.

lumenal

Enlightened
My 4AA SLPPL is my favorite nasty weather, gettin' ugly outside light. Mine has held up well. And like saildude said, just the black paint wearing off the side.

Any idea what type of emitter SL installed in that 2AA PP?

And thanks for the report, saildude...

saildude

Newly Enlightened
All that Streamlight has on it's info sheets "LED - One ( 1 ) 0.5 Watt High-Flux LED 30,000 hour lifetime in parabolic reflector module" and if you look at the LED when turned off it has a yellow color in the reflector.

I also have a ProPoly 4AA Luxon and it's a great light and go to when things are sloppy and real dark.

mb

lumenal

Enlightened
Thanks saildude.

The description of the 0.5 watt "30,000 hour" LED you posted is similar to the one Streamlight posts about another one of their lights I just bought - the Stylus Pro. (2 AAA pen light).

I bet they're the same emitter. (Bright and white, BTW).

dirobesh

Enlightened
I just wish Streamlight would finally upgrade their emitters.

Couldn't agree more - I have the 4AA propolymer torch - the beam rivals my cree Q2 and seoul P4 torches (throw only, not overall output) - this is not an exaggeration, maybe I got lucky.

I love the deep reflector and the intense hotspot, with enough sidespill - If they ever brought out a seoul or cree Q5 version I'd be straight in for one.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Just got mine from brightguy.com today. Nice light. Very tight spot with good spill. Mid-level output good for any task I can think of. The durable plastic body and long runtime make this a winner, especially for those nasty weather situations. A perfect light for beach camping.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Added beam shot and picture of light with a chevrofreak runtime graph

mb

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Added beam shot and picture of light with a chevrofreak runtime graph

mb

Thanks for a great review saildude! A very well done and detailed examination of this light.

Also thanks to chevrofreak for the runtime graph!

The runtime plot on lithiums is amazing. When loaded with lithium AAs, this light would be a nearly perfect emergency/backup light for automotive, boating, and general outdoors use. Would also be good to have around the house for blackouts.

Another outstanding design by Streamlight. Nobody beats Streamlight for producing "best bang for your buck" lights!

saildude

Newly Enlightened
There was a picture of the lamp module - for some reason it is now gone - might be a problem where I posted the original pictures - with a bit of luck I will have that fixed in the next day or so.

mb