I need a new Headlamp!

jbieszke

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking for a new headlamp, I need your professional thoughts! about me. I am an electrician by trade, a camper, and a hiker, not a caver. I need bright diffused light for close work (electrician), consistant light (camp), and 60 yds of light for trails. I have 5 headlamps, and about 20 flashlights. headlamps are petzl myo xp, energizer 6 led, dorcy 1 watt led, petzl tekka, and princenton tek quad. I have been considering the brunton L3.. give me your opinions on what I should have next. who sells mods? I would mod myself, I have done many mods, but I just want to purchase..

Thank you

Enlightened
I would add the PT Apex or Apex Pro to the list. Your needs are somewhat contradictory. You want a bright floody light for closeup and a light with throw for trail use. With the Apex you could use the quad 5mm LEDs to provide the up close flood when you need it and the 3W Maxbright for throw down the trail when you're using that.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, you want to be able to flood a few feet in front of you, as well as throw 200 feet. What I'd suggest is to get a headlight for close/medium-range tasks, and a separate handheld for throw. That way, you have a backup in case of failure, you can lend one out without being left in the dark, you'll have two different simultaneous lighting options, and you'll have more flashlights.

I'm happy with my Seouled Argo HP. You might also like the PT Apex or BD Zenix IQ (both Seouled, if possible). I highly recommend you check out this page and this one, and choose one.

d1337

Enlightened
One thing to consider when looking at headlamps is the position of the battery pack. For hiking and camping it's no it doesn't make any difference to me. However, having the battery on the back of my head sucks when I have to lay on my back to work on something.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Go with either the Princeton tec Apex or the pro version. Difference is the batts. Their regular one uses 4aa alkaline, lithium or rechargeables while the pro is the same llight it just uses cr123a's. The luxeon is a real thrower and will get that job done. While the 4 nichia leds that flank it are great for close up work. If you go to Princetontec.com and you click on the apex it will show you what the throw and beam is like fo the high and low of the main luxeon and the high and low of the leds.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking for a new headlamp, I need your professional thoughts! about me. I am an electrician by trade, a camper, and a hiker, not a caver. I need bright diffused light for close work (electrician), consistant light (camp), and 60 yds of light for trails. I have 5 headlamps, and about 20 flashlights. headlamps are petzl myo xp, energizer 6 led, dorcy 1 watt led, petzl tekka, and princenton tek quad. I have been considering the brunton L3.. give me your opinions on what I should have next. who sells mods? I would mod myself, I have done many mods, but I just want to purchase..

Thank you

I'd say a PT Apex is a better light than the Brunton (all of them). The AA version is easier to use with rechargeables than the cr123 version (Pro)

Since you are an electrician I'd put connectors on the wire going to the battery pack. This so you can put the battery pack somewhere else than on your head. This also allows you to use different battery set ups. There is another thread about this in this section.

Sverre

Daekar

Enlightened
I'd also have to throw my vote in for the Apex. OR you could get a Zebralight for flood+close work and use a headlight and a torch for throw. I've found out while walking dirt/gravel roads that I actually trip less when I'm using the Zebralight even though it's putting out less than the Apex can - I think it's because of the more uniform beam distribution. If you go with the Apex, do the SSC P4 mod! If you go with the Zebralight, buy an L1D/L1T or L2D/L2T Fenix to go with it for more throw.

hopkins

Enlightened
hiking trails at night I mostly am looking right in front of me with the
MYO XP on low or medium power with the diffusor. Talk about smoothe
light. Its a trail ! - so no need for route finding - no need for a big throw beam
of 60 yds unless a stealth bear is coming the other way - kidding!

going up talus slopes and finding the class 2 gullies between the cliffs
the long range beam gets used every few minutes but then its flip up
the diffusor for stepping from rock to rock usually on low power -night adapted
eyes see low power as completely adequate on the MYO XP :thumbsup:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight is great for up close work. It's all flood and it lights up something like 120 degrees so I find my entire field of vision is lit up. The downside is it requires two hands to activate. I think it's worth having a look at. It's received good reveiws here as well.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you

I have the Brunton L3 (bought it when it was a "Silva"-brandname, i.e. b/f Brunton bought Silva - at least that's my understanding of the name change). Also have a Silva L1 and RL6, and a Brunton L5 (rechargeable).

If you are NOT into lighter weight backpacking, and are more a camper, then the 4C batt-pack that comes with the L3 is very nice. Having said that, it is very easy to mod a PT Apex for 4xC or 4xD operation (click my Avatar or alias/screen-name and search my other posts - i have one that describes how to do this).

IMO, both the Apex and the L3 are too bright for electrical work. what i've given to a number of friends (electricians and plumbers) are Petzl ZipkaPlus headlamps for their daily work. They all love them, and those who work for larger commercial contractors have found that their Bosses mandate that ALL of them get them (wonder why they don't provide them to their workers???).

The low mode on the L3 is pretty low, but for real close work or in tent reading, it's NOT low enough - carry a 0.5oz Photon Microlight for that purpose is my suggestion.

The L3 is a fine headlamp, IMO, but i still prefer the Apex. I don't think that you're making a mistake if you go for the L3, however.

It's single "arm" attachment for the head would not seem to be as robust of a means of attachment for the head, and would NOT be good for caving or even perhaps some climbing. i've had no trouble with it, but it's always in the back of my mind that, while NOT flimsy by any means, if compressed the wrong way, the head might break off (though a bit o' duct-tape would probably address this as a field repair).

The dual 2xAA batt boxes on the headband work 'ok' for resting one's head on the back of their skull, but, as i recall as i haven't broke it out for a year or so, on my particular unit, they don't separate quite far enough to totally get them out of the way.

while the L3 has a pretty nice beam pattern (with a hotter spot on my particular unit), i do prefer the slightly more floodier (sp??? or, is that even a word?) Apex beam pattern.

you're making me want to dig out the L3 and use it out tonight!

though you didn't mention it, my advice is to skip the L5 - too pricey for what you get and limited in terms of recharging in the field, plus the LOW o.p. mode is NOT low enough. IMO, the L3 is a better light than the L5 for most intended uses. maybe the extra power of the L5 is required for SAR applications though?

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
I would like a new headlamp too.
But I really don't know where to look.
I do hiking and a lot of bike. And I would use the headlamp to read at night. Three level of brightness would be great + a strobe mode too.
So no "monster" headband here or bulky battery holder like the PT Apex, I prefer AA/AAA(nimh or lion) and RCR123A. Must be regulated and have a GREAT runtime. I prefer a wider beam. I must be able to put it on my head, my bicycle, my arm or on my bed.

Thanks !

Last edited:

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened
Our (FoxFury) Performance Tactical and Command 20 Tactical headlamps give diffuse as well as focused light. They both run on 4 AAs and are impact resistant and water proof.

The Command 20 Tactical has three modes, a flashing red rear LED and will let you see up to 120 ft ahead. http://foxfury.com/products/command/tactical_20.htm

The Performance Tactical has one mode can let you see up to 150 or so feet away. http://foxfury.com/products/performance_series/tactical/tactical.htm

For 60 yards of visibility, a more powerful light will likely be required like the Brunton/Silva, Stenlight or our Pro Series--these will likely be overkill for electrical work unless you suffer from Low Vision issues like Macular Degeneration.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree with Daekar and choose a Pt Apex if I had to use just one light for all jobs, but I would rather go with a Zebralight for a great worklight and use an additional light when I needed extra throw. Someone mentioned that you can attach an additional light to the Zebralight headband with the extra holders they provide when you need extra throw. The Zebra is just so small and comfortable that it's indespensible for any job less than 10 or 15 feet away.