Newb here just got a Fenix L2T V2.0 and a Zebra Light H50-Q5

nojoka

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L2T V2.0
Basically I thought this was going to be brighter. It is bright but for some reason I thought 140 lumens would be better than this.
I think that I read that the 140 lumen rating isn't the OTF rating but just the rating of the LED? Does any one know what the out the front rating would be? I had one of those River Rock K2 85 lumen headlamps that I returned (probably should have kept it but I thought it was too big and heavy) and I honestly think that seemed brighter.Not having it anymore I can't do a side by side comparison. If anyone has both, a side by side pic of the beams would be much appreciated! I don't think the momentary tactical switch is all that great. The brightness seems to flickers a bit when using the momentary function. Plus the switch emits a high pitched noise if you put your ear up to it. I might sell this light and maybe will try a surefire, maybe a 6PD with a LED, but I do like the idea of a light that uses AA's so I'm not exactly sure what to do for a tactical sort of light.

Zebra Light H50-Q5
I pretty much knew what to expect because I read every single post I could find about this. Love the size, like the accessories it comes with (not really thrilled with the clip, wish it was a one piece metal clip). Obviously with such a diffused light output it's not going to be perfect for every application but in the two days I've had it I've already used it as a headlamp while riding my bike (actually not as bad as I thought it would be, it illuminates street signs from very far away and my night adapted eyes could see everything else I needed to), I used it to attempt to fix the heater in my apartment (I got the pilot light lit, that about it though), worked great on the low setting for reading in bed. Only qualm I have about it is the little flash it does when switching onto high mode.

232f7754b2.jpg

Stromberg

Enlightened
I have both lights. I'm planning to start making beam comparisons, but it may take a while to get them done. It may be that K2 puts slightly more light to that small squarish area(don't know for sure since I don't have lux meter) but L2T gives much more light overall(ceiling bounce test confirms this) and its beam pattern is superior. Tint also favors L2T which is much more neutral than K2's ugly purplish tint.

gunga

Flashaholic
Just wanted to say:

:welcome:

Also keep in mind, you need at least 2x the lumens to really notice a big difference in brightness.

Also, Fenix states emitter lumes, so subtract 20-30% for reflector etc losses.

Stromberg

Enlightened
Well, here's "quick and dirty" comparison. Couple of things you should notice:
I didn't optimize camera white balance settings so keep in mind that L2T's tint is NOT as green as it may look, and K2's tint isn't as white(it's actually purplish). Also in real world L2T gives even more light when compared to K2 than it seems in those pictures.

RetkiK2(same as RiverRock):

L2T v2.0:

ISO speed is 100 and exposure time is 1/8s in both pictures.

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a L1Tv2 and a L2D100. I tried switching the body tubes, but didn't care for either the L2Tv2 or the L1D100 as much as the originals. The rebel 100 wants 2 AA cells and the rebel 80 is a yawn with 2 but isn't losing much with just a single AA. No problems with my tactical switch. I'm looking forward to the day a L2T has a kick *** LED in it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to the day a L2T has a kick *** LED in it.

You and me, mate.

And :welcome:, Nojoka!

I'm getting more and more tempted to buy the zebralight. The concept is genious for me. When it comes to small lights, I actually need flood for 90% of the time, and to be able to clip it somewhere. If I need something throwier, I'm gonna need a much bigger reflector than anything pocket sized can handle.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

If the high pitch noise and the flickering are a problem, return it and exchange it for a new one. If you bought it at the Fenix store or LightHound you could return the entire light if you are not completely satisfied with it.

nojoka

Newly Enlightened
Thats for the kind welcomes! Also I really appreciate the beam shots Stromberg! Seems like the K2 is all spot and not really any flood, I guess that is why I remember it being brighter, all of the lumens are focused to one spot. I'll probably hang onto the L2T v2.0 for now in till i figure out what to replace it with. Maybe there will be a L2T with a Rebel 100 in the near future...

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
In general i have found Fenix lights to be very good for the money but they are prone to having dirty contacts(some are ok some are not) If ever i get anything with electrical contacts in it i strip it and clean and treat all the contacts with Deoxit and Progold. The best example i can use is i bought a batch of four L1P's and one was particullarly dim so i stripped and cleaned it and still no joy(this was before i got my hands on Deoxit and Progold). It sat unused for a while until i discovered contact cleaners and conditioners and once treated it became the brightest L1P of the four verified by my light meter.