20% Labor Day discount at Fenix Store, just ordered a TK20R-V2.0

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
20% off on Sunday & Monday.

I've been wanting a 1 x 21700 "pocketable" light, and have been checking out different brands & styles, and particularly eyeballing the Fenix TK20R-V2.0, and checking out the reviews, vids, etc.

The brands I tend to go to in general are Maglite, Malkoff, Fenix, Acebeam, and for a while, a few Imalents. I think I have 8 Fenixes, and I keep coming back to the brand because of features, performance, dependability, bang for the buck, and customer service.

I think this is going to be a great light. It's a bit more of a thrower than many in its class / size. A couple things that really sold me on it were the LED battery level indicator, and the way the indicator & USB-C charge port are protected by a well engineered O-ringed aluminum collar that unscrews a couple of turns to expose them, and screws back up to fully protect them from moisture & dust. I don't really care if a light has a charge port because I don't mind removing the cell and charging it in one of my chargers, but the silicone / rubber port plugs are usually a deal breaker for me. As for the battery level indicator - once you get used to having one, you really appreciate it being there.

The only thing I wish Fenix would add is a "moonlight" mode to more of their lights - which they're actually starting to do. Their eco mode is usually around 30 lumens or so, and does provide great run times, but something around 3 to 5 lumens with extra long run time is useful for camping, in tents, in a dark home at night, during a power outage, being stranded in a vehicle, or any situation where battery power & charging ability may be scarce. Overall, I love my Fenixes, and each of mine has found its spot in the house or vehicle where it serves its purpose very well. In addition, their diffusers and traffic wands are excellent.

Edit: If anyone owns one of these, let me know if you like it.

Last edited:

earthsaver77

Newly Enlightened
Black Oak is also offering 20% off for the holiday. Not cheap, but built like a tank for off-road and marine environments.

1693831060773.png

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I realize that there is obviously no interest in this light, but I did receive it and thought I'd give a quick review, in case someone brings it up in a search some day.

Nice light. 😁

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that there is obviously no interest in this light, but I did receive it and thought I'd give a quick review, in case someone brings it up in a search some day.

Nice light. 😁
I think it appears to be a very cool light, and one I'd definitely consider if I were currently in the market for such. The fact that (unlike many Fenix lights) it doesn't rely on a side switch in addition to the (requisite) tail switch(es) is a big +++ for me (not requiring one to change grips from the primary grip while operating the light [which is fundamentally flawed]).

The way the charging port is handled (inside an O-ring sealed area) is also a major improvement over many (most) other lights and is also a big +. Other lights have gone or are going this way too (Streamlight, ASP, and probably others), and I'm happy to see that Fenix has adopted this basic design approach (at least on this light). Between that option and others (such as use of a good quality 'weather-proof' connector like SL uses for its new Wedge XT, for example), hopefully the ill-conceived captive rubber cover plug will go away soon. In-light charging will not 'go away', so it's time to improve it. Obviously such better solutions raise product cost a bit, but for quality manufacturers willing to increase cost a bit to build a better light, hopefully superior solutions will soon prevail. The inferior 'rubber plug' approach is fairly universally despised by most users, and good manufacturers are finally waking up to that reality.

Fenix historically isn't big on single-digit lumen minimum output levels, and the fact that this light is considered to primarily target the LE / tactical segment means it's even less likely to have one that others might be - let alone sub-lumen level. The demand for such probably isn't too great in that industry market segment in general. Low-mid 2-digit outputs are generally the norm for minumum levels in such segments. A very low output level is potentially one more to have to step through when switching between levels, so I guess most who don't normally need it consider it a negative for everyday use. It would be nice if a 'lower low' were a user-configurable option that could be enabled (via something like a Streamlight Ten-Tap, Eagtac, or other configuration scheme) as that might broaden its market appeal.

Let us know how it works out when you get some use on it!

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
@aznsx, Thanks for your comments. I agree with them, especially about the rubber charge port plugs.

Regarding the "moonlight" mode, Fenix is starting to add it to some of their lights, although I forget exactly which models. It's not really another mode to have to cycle through, since most of their mid size to larger lights have mode memory, and you can have it come on wherever you like. With the Fenixes that I normally EDC, I usually leave them to come on in Eco (low) at night time, and 2nd or 3rd level up for daytime use, and then bump it up if needed. Either way, not really that big of a deal, but could be a good battery saver in a pinch.