Headlamp? LED+INCAN**Trident/Yukon/Switchback**

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp recomendations? LED/INCAN

PT Yukon is on the way. 3AA batteries in the rear, main incandescent, 3 LEDs for up close work. Oh, and it should be fully waterproof.

freewheelin'

Enlightened

I just got 1 of these from www.sportsmansguide.com and I think it's great. The led is blue and has really good throw for an led and the ad says can run 1 month continuous. The main lamp is rated at 80,000cp for 8 hrs. but is seriously ring and splotchy when you try to focus too tight, but it's really good as a major flood light. Read this ad.
Night Blaster® Rechargeable Headlight.
Varmints beware... Red lens is
FREE!
Have a full 80,000 candlepower lighting your way! This baby is every bit as powerful as your car or light truck headlights and it even includes a FREE Red lens for varmints!
Light up your hunt: 80,000 candlepower Dual settings: (1) Super-bright Xenon bulb (2) White LED bulb Spot to flood adjustable 6-volt, 4 amp battery in nylon case Xenon runs 8 hours; LED light lasts over one month... continuous, on a full charge 40" long battery cable to attach to Headlamp 110V charger; LED indicates when battery is charging Lens slips off head strap and attaches to battery pack for a hip light... another hands-free alternative!

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

UltraRunner the Petzl looks good but a bit out of my price range BTW Petzl Myo . The Night Buster is a bit hard to handle and probably brighter than I need. The Yukon is what I've been considering. Does anyone know what type lamp is in it? How is the switchback by PTec?
Thanks for the suggestions.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Wits' End,

I ended up with the Streamlight Trident. It is not a new light, but has been fitted with a textured reflector that tends to smooth the beam out while using the incandescent bulb.

I use it a lot and like it.

Tom

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is also the Princeton Tec Switchback: 2 white LEDs and halogen bulb, 2AA self contained, or 4C series/parallel beltpack (comes with it and plugs into headlamp), waterproof. Brightguy carries them.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' quoted from website:
...Have a full 80,000 candlepower lighting your way! This baby is every bit as powerful as your car or light truck headlights...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very hard time believing that!!! Also, FWIW, 6v times 4A = 24 watts, less than half of a good Xenon car/truck headlight. Ahh, yes, truth in advertising... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp? LED+INCAN**Trident/Yukon/Switchback*

OK the main contenders are PT Yukon (unknown at this point), PT Switchback, and SL Trident. It seems that if I'm not looking at long times without batteries available my best bet would be the Trident. The prices $21 Trident at Brightguy and $50 Switchback at TTS. Other than the optional battery pack on the Switchback are there big differences between the Switchback and Trident?
Do any of the three have a PR based bulb?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Headlamp? LED+INCAN**Trident/Yukon/Switchback*

The Switchback is supposed to come with the 4C beltpack. Optional to use it, but you get it with the light.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Why shouldn\'t I get a Trident???

Hello Wits' End,

I happen to like the Trident a lot.

With that said, the downside in my opinion is minor. Here is my list.

The Trident uses AAA batteries. Most of my other lights use AA.

The Trident is bigger and heaver than the Petzl Tikka, but it also puts out more light.

You have to be careful to get the batteries in properly. I would have a hard time loading batteries into the Trident in the dark.

The incandescent lens focus on my Trident is very stiff. I find any adjustment to the focus while wearing the Trident very difficult.

I have not looked into a replacement lamp and do not know how difficult they are to find or what the cost is.

That's about it.

Tom

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's big difference between Trident and Switchback.

1) Switchback is waterproof
2) Switchback has much better built than Trident. Trident is designed for casual use and Switchback is for outdoor activities.
3) Both has 3 LED + 1 incandescent lamp but Switchback's main lamp has 2-level brightness setting.
4) Trident uses 3AAA and Switchback has 2 AA built-in and 4C external pack. When the 4C external pack runs out of battery, it will automatically switch to 2AA. I use lithium AA since it serves as backup for the 4C primary pack.

Trident is good for around-house or as reading light. Switchback is good for outdoor activities. You might be interested in checking out Spaceshot II from Blackdiamond but it has only has one LED instead of 3. However, it has 3 brightness setting on its main incandescent lamp. Unlike Switchback's dual filament setup, Spaceshot use MPW technology for multiple brightness setting and constant brightness.

Alan

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Alan,

I guess I would have to disagree with your statement
"Trident is good for around-house or as reading light. Switchback is good for outdoor activities."
I have used the Trident only on outdoor activities and have never had any concerns with its construction or ability to resist water. I will admit that I tend to take good care of my equipment, but I do not baby it either.

I might consider the external power pack on the Switchback a potential problem. In this part of the country, we have thick brush. Any extra wires hanging down have the possibility of becoming snagged and torn off while hiking through the brush at night (or playing a round of capture the flag).

I must admit that the run time must be enhanced with the external battery pack, but I find that I am using the 3 LED mode most often and the run time with 3 LED's on the Trident is around 100+ hours. This has been good enough for an eight day canoe trip without taking extra batteries.

I do agree that the Black Diamond lights are worth looking into.

Tom

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

My use is Walking (in mud) on fairly open terrain
Not far from replacement batteries
Water resistance is important due to rain, but
I try to stay out of puddles over my head:)

I am not familiar with Black Diamond lights, I am more inclined to stay with P Tec or SL. However I am open to whatever recomendations CPF comes up with. Thanks the information has helped quite a bit.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Silverfox,

Trident is a good light and I've never got any reliability issue on 3 of them I have. 2 of them is under SL brand while the other one is from the original manufacturer brand. I posted its result way before SL has the Trident. I like the light very much, if not, I will not get 3 of them:)

The problem for the light is its runtime. My experience is quite far from yours - 100+hrs? I only got around 20 hrs of bright light on mine. Of course, the light will still be on after that but it might not bright enough for my needs - reading in the tent. Switchback only claims 200+hrs on its 4C battery. Different manufacturers rate runtime on LED differently. Some manufacturers count glowing as lighting. Contrary, I don't like Switchback too much due to its weight on its 4C configuration and I no longer use my Switchback. However, the reason I recommend the light is based on the "user requirement" and target price range but not the one I personally like or dislike. In fact, none of tha lights in Wits' End choice is my personal choice for outdoor activities. One of Wits' End requirement is "has bright light on the same unit". I could hardly consider the incandescent lamp of Trident to be bright. The worst part of Trident is its switching approach. You need to go through all cycle before you get to the mode you like or before you turn off the light. Cycling through unwanted incandescent lamp will do nothing but draining the already "precious" battery juice. On the other hand, Switchback allows you to go direct to your previous mode when you turn on the light w/o cycling through unnecessary modes.

Besides, both of Switchback and Spaceshot II from BD allows spare bulb (Spaceshot has 2 spare bulbs) stored in the light itself. Spaceshot II has a very smooth incandescent beam and its 6AA config is lighter than Switchback's 4C.

If external battery is not convenient for your activities, spaceshot II will not fit you either as it uses external pack as well. In that case, you need to consider Supernova from BD or Yukon from PT when it becomes available. However, I don't have personal experience with Supernova or Yukon.

Hmm... based on further info provided by Wits' end, I think battery won't be an issue:)

Alan

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Alan,

I'm glad you have had good luck with your Trident's.

I must clarify the run time issue. Streamlight advertises a 150 hour run time on LED's and 3-5 hours on the bulb. I did not do a run time test to come up with the 100 hour figure. I just reduced the manufacturers rating. I am going camping this weekend and this would be a good time to do a run down test. I'll let you know how it comes out. My use is either 1 or 3 LED's. I very rarely use the bulb, but it is nice to know it is there if I need it. There have been a few times when it has come in very handy. I did not keep track of the hours of use during the canoe trip, but it was still working well after 8 days of camping. This weekend I'll turn on 3 LED's and see how long the batteries last.

The way the switch works is not an issue with me. I have an ExternaLight and am use to cycling through modes to get to the one I want to use.

Bulb brightness is subjective. I do agree that the Trident bulb is no where as bright as my TigerLight, but it is very close to a 2 AA Mini Mag. I have used the Mini Mag as a camping light for years.

Prior to the Trident, I had a PT Solo. 2-3 hours of light was not enough for a week of camping so I always made sure to have extra batteries. With the Trident, this has not been an issue.

Tom

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

For me the light from my (missing) PT Aurora has usually been enough for me. I have a Scorpion that I got to suplement my LED's but I'd rather not carry it. I felt that the combo units offered me the rare use of a brighter light when needed. The "brightness of a Mini-Mag" doesn't impress me but it will do for about 80% of my suplemental needs (ie. seeing more clearly the boundries of a puddle, seeing if it is my dog or a wolf running at me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif etc). So it sounds like the Trident would take care of my needs 95%+ of the time.
Does anyone know if the Trident (bi-pin?), Yukon or any other good combo lights use a PR incan? I'd like to put a Luxeon in there rather than the Incan.