First laser: cheapest WOW factor

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
My dad picked up a $4 red pointer at the hardware store. Now I'm no newb but I haven't bought one of these toys for years and it really got me going. I mean this cheap little <5mW (probably way less than that, it doesn't say) puts a dot a few hundred feet away.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to buy something that will:

- have a visible beam, at least at night
- be good for stars
- have large WOW factor
- be fairly inexpensive
- prefer something other than red, green I suppose as I know the blues are expensive.

Some advice?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "True 30mw Green Laser" from Dealextreme seems to have gotten a lot of favorable reviews in the bang for your buck department. Kaidomain now has a 50mw greenie for $26 and some change, shipped. I don't think anybody has received that one yet, but if you wait a little while for them to start arriving, you can see how it's reviewed and decide if that will be an option to your liking.

mikeage

Newly Enlightened
Go for a 5mW green from dealextreme.com.

I know it's technically 1/6 of the 30mW, but if you've never seen one, you'll be amazed. Visible beam at night, great for star pointing, and (virtually) no risk when (not if- when) you accidentally dazzle yourself.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
OK, so where can I read about the risks of a 5mW vs 30mW? I'd like to get the 30 but want to know what I'm getting into.

comozo

Enlightened
5mw annoying like a camera's flash if you shine it in your eyes
accidentally. 30mw can cause permanent damage to that portion of the retina were the beam is focused on the retina if accidentally shone on it.
Blink aversion: A reflexive action to bright light taking .25 of a second to complete. Works for 5mw (class 3R) and less

Short version.Never let the beam of a class 3b or 4 enter your eye ever and you'll be ok, but if it does don't worry because you've got one good eye left.
More info can be found at Sams Laser FAQ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Revised_system

There are many companies that sell green lasers such as Laser Glow, Optotronics, Nova Lasers that use 3 second delay on circuitry for some models. I've not seen any complaint's about these companies. Beware of Wicked lasers.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for a 5mW green from dealextreme.com.

I know it's technically 1/6 of the 30mW, but if you've never seen one, you'll be amazed. Visible beam at night, great for star pointing, and (virtually) no risk when (not if- when) you accidentally dazzle yourself.

Agreed about the 5mw rated unit from Deal Extreme.
I have one and even this little turkey will impress. :wow:
Good runtime and good, consistent reliability. :thumbsup: :rock:

The bigger 50mw rated one is kinda flakey, but works much better once ya figure out how to baby it.
I have both and like them both.
Nimh rechargeable batteries are king with these for maximum "playtime".
Just don't shine either of these into anyone's eyes, or someone's gonna be sorry. :eek:oo:

Hope ya enjoy it. :)