Spooky stories?

pbs357

Enlightened
Ok, it's almost Halloween, and where are the scary stories of exploring haunted, abandoned and otherwise creepy places? Where are the stories, pics and high power lumen machines in the midst of darkness?

I remember reading Phazerburn's (PhaSerburn?) story of "the door" and what possibly lurked behind it. I read every post, every page, to the end! Are our lights so bright now that we are no longer "afraid of the dark?" ;)

Post em' if you got em!

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't say I normally believe in ghosts, but this experience may have changed my mind.

When I graduated high school (1992), my folks treated to a family trip to France. We went for two weeks and explored ALL the places I learned about in art history class that year… Louvre, Notre Dame, Bourges, and probably a dozen or so chateaus. Now this particular story takes place in a chateau in along the river Loire, in the country. Swans outside, swimming in fountains surrounded by cobblestone walkways. It's a warm June afternoon.

This particular chateau was really quite creepy. Lots of stories of incest, family members killing each other, use of layer upon layer of pancake makeup while bathing only annually, etc. Lots of closed, locked doors and long hallways too. I can't remember the name of this chateau, but it crosses over the river.

About this point in the trip I'm starting to figure out that if you didn't speak French, you were an ugly American. If you tried to speak it, you were insulting the French hahaha. We took the guided tour of the chateau, which of course was in French. So my 13 year old sister and I tiptoe away from the group to do a little exploring on our own. We don't make it far because we keep bumping into either our tour group or other tour groups in other parts of the chateau.

At one point, we walk into a smaller octagonal-shaped room bisected by a hallway, so there are two entrances without doors, and six entrances with doors. Some of the doors simply connect to other hallways. So my sis and I start trying all the doorknobs. Some doors open, some are locked. Just as we reached for the last door knob….

THE DAMN THING TWISTS ON ITS OWN!!!

My sis and I think it's some kid in another room screwing with us, so we grab the knob and give it a healthy twist of our own. So what if it's a 500 year old fragile door knob?

After the twist, I'm curious to see who we're playing with, so I peer through the keyhole. What was on the other side of the door? Nothing. A broom closet. It was completely empty.

I don't EVEN want to know how that knob twisted on its own.

Burgess

Flashaholic
OK, i just finished carefully reading every word
of "Ted's Cave Adventure", on Angelfire.com.

Seems like it only goes up to Page 10. Correct ?

Seems to "mysteriously" stop right then and there.

No further updates for Several Years now.

Am i missing something ? Or is that all there is ?

If that IS the ending, it sure fell short. :confused:

The story certainly DOES have its moments !

And the author certainly DOES seem to know "caving".

Any other thoughts on that story ?

(and jzmtl, wanna' elaborate a bit ?) :)

Oh, and to WNG, thank you for posting that link ! :thumbsup:

Here are some of MY comments (in no special order):

-- Hope that gun of yers' has Silver Bullets. :tinfoil:

-- Is he bringing along a Crucifix ?

-- A respirator/air filter ?

_

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
(and jzmtl, wanna' elaborate a bit ?) :)
_

The whole time he has no evidence of whatever is inside the "big room", the symbol he saw on the wall, like camera mysteriously didn't work only in the there, video camera left beind etc. He never actuall saw anything, just creeping himself out thinking there are monsters. Then at the last page, he say he and joe will go back, take pictures, and update us if he comes back, then of course there is no update, giving impression both him and joe is trapped, or dead.

Sounds like someone who like caving, who also happen to be good at creative writing.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Here is a nice one, it was my own first hand experience with ghosts...

I used to work at a small company. After a bad economic period, the boss decided to move the office to his home to save the rent money. He lives in an old farmhouse, and the office was set up in a very nicely converted stable. The office space was made up out of a large rectangular space, with another smaller rectangular room in it. So it was a smaller rectangular room and an L-shaped space. The short leg of the L was used for toilet and kitchen, and the long leg of the L was general office space. The rectangular room was used for courses and training for our customers. There were 2 connecing doors between the spaces, 1 in the short leg, giving direct access to the kitchen, and one in the long leg, for easy access to the office and the door to the outside. My desk was in the long leg, facing away from the connecting door.
One time on a friday afternoon, I was alone in the office, which was not unusual, as the company had only 1 employee (me) for a while, and the boss was often on the road visiting our customers. I suddenly felt a presence behind me, the feeling you have when someone is looking over your shoulder. I turned around, and saw a young woman standing there, next to the door to the other room. I just about had a heart attack. Before I could say anything, she had disappeared into thin air.
I did get a good look at her, I estimate her to have been in her early 20s, she was wearing a long white dress, sort of like a simple weddingdress. She had dark hair, dark eyes, and quite a pretty face. It was nothing like what you see on tv like very pale and half rotten, no, she just looked like any other person you would see standing. She did have a sad look on her face, like she had been crying. I saw her long enough to remember all these details. I checked the entire office, but did not see her again. I dismissed it as my mind playing a trick on me... But I just couldn't let it go, I kept thinking about it all weekend. I decided to ask the boss' wife if she knew anything about the history of their farmhouse, she didn't know much about it, but she did admit that there were occasions that she had felt a similar sort of presence in the kitchen, but never saw anything.
I decided to do some research on the farmhouse and its history. And found out from church and community records that about 125 years before, when the farm was still used as a farm, there had been a tragedy. A farmer lived there with his wife and 2 daughters. The oldest daughter was supposed to get married, and on her weddingday, her husband to be had been killed by a gang of muggers. The girl was found dead the same day.
I thought it was pretty strange, but got on with my life and didn't think about it much anymore. But after about 6 months later, our new secretary and me were sorting out the archive, Which was located above the office on a little loft. The wood floor was very old, and squeeked everytime we moved. As I'm not exactly a featherweight, it was only a matter of time before one of the floorboards cracked. I put one of the shelves of the racks we just cleared out over it and continued the work I was doing.
Another month later, a contractor came to fix the floor, he was stripping out the old boards, and found a leather bound book, hidden in the space under the floorboards.
My boss was pretty excited about this, as it wasn't an everyday find. He almost came running to show it to me. It was the diary of the youngest daughter of the farmer who had lived there long ago. It was full of very good drawings, and a lot of events that this girl witnessed. Including, you guessed it, the tale of her big sister, getting the bad news about her husband to be. She had been in the kitchen when she was told, standing in the spot where the boss' wife had felt the presence. It also said, that the girl had ran to the stable, to the loft, where she'd always go when she was sad. Never to return. She died in that place, it was said to be of a broken heart. The place where the diary was hidden, was right under the place where the dead girls body had been found. Weird... Right then, when I thought I couldn't be creeped out more, I turned a page, and there it was, a portrait of the older sister, the girl I had seen in a flash months before.
I took the rest of the day off...

I wouldn't have believed it if someone else told me a story like this. I did look up the girls grave a few weeks after and brought some nice flowers. Never again I felt the presence or get a glimpse of the girl...

I posted this on cpf before in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/129889