Reverse Polarity

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I have this perfectly good REVERSE POLARITY:)mad:) EverLED. I need to find a home for it. Can anyone recommend a lantern or decent quality inexpensive light that is reverse polarity? Easy to find would also be good - Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc...

Illum

Flashaholic
any 6V lantern will werk
if you notice the center pin is negative while the flange contact is positive.....I bought a regular EVERLED and had to modify my 6D lantern to run on it

keep in mind not to burn it for too long at once, the temperature of the EVERLED will warp the reflector over time:rolleyes:

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for something more specific. I don't want to buy a light unless i know it will work or i can make it work. Energizer Hard Case Lantern? for example.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Your EverLed has polarity protection? If so, then it will work in any light. If it does not light up, just reverse battery. Am I missing something here?

Bill

Will, I read your post again, and the emphasis is on Reverse Polarity. If not protected then any light that will not show a - sign when you test for voltage at the tailcap end of the light with the black lead on the end of the battery, and the red lead in contact with the body is ok. Do this check with a incan bulb first.

Bill

Last edited:

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
You can't flip the batteries in most lights - the bulb modules on most of them have a raised portion which won't let the flat side (-) of the battery make contact. I could put a slug in, but i don't like that idea.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Don't flip battery. Use a different light that has right polarity per my check.

Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
Your EverLed has polarity protection? If so, then it will work in any light. If it does not light up, just reverse battery. Am I missing something here?

Bill

Will, I read your post again, and the emphasis is on Reverse Polarity. If not protected then any light that will not show a - sign when you test for voltage at the tailcap end of the light with the black lead on the end of the battery, and the red lead in contact with the body is ok. Do this check with a incan bulb first.

Bill

well, theres three versions but two types of everLEDs theres the lambertian, SE, types....but theres the everLED original, [theres something else here] and a everLED "diamond" specifically made for lights that has the base contact as negative.

I'm assuming the threaders looking for a light that uses lamps with the polarity reversed from normal lights:huh:

if an addition of a slug doesn't suit you, or it creates excessive pressure on the tail spring, consider spacer magnets [NdFeB]

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
I have the regular polarity everled in my mag. I was mistakingly shipped the RP Everled from brightguy a year or so ago. They told me not to worry about sending it back and then sent me the correct one. So now i have this awesome bulb with nothing to put it in. I think that the floating $5 special lanterns that include the battery might work. Would the bulb really melt it?

Illum

Flashaholic
though I have heard of LED drop ins melting the plastic reflectors of some lights, I don't use my everLED as often as my MagLED, which is mounted in my mag3D and when installed does not touch the plastic reflector. I thought I'd inform you the possibility, though it hasn't happened yet on mine [I can guarantee nothing will melt in a maximum runtime of maybe 5 minutes, but thats all I can say on my part]

for store bought lights, several PR based flashlights use the reflector as a locking ring and holds tension to the battery. manufacturers know that the stock PR bulbs [krypton/xenon] will never heat up to the melting threshold of the plastic because the batteries wont last the lamp running at full capacity very long. but an LED is not only more efficient, it requires a thermal path to dissipate its heat....and if the LED is locked to the reflector, the heat will cause the plastic to soften, and the tension will warp the reflector until stress from both sides reach equilibrium.

my previous [and only experience] was running the everLED in a 2D Eveready [ironic isn't it :grin2: a $1 light using a $30 bulb], I left it on for god knows how long and when I found it, turned it off the bezel was a mess:shrug:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a Dorcy lantern that has regular polarity. There's a Rayovac version I found at Fry's that looks exactly the same, but it has reverse polarity (positive flange). Burned out a couple Nite-Ize dropins before I realized it... :ohgeez:

What might also work is using a 4D>lantern adapter in a regular polarity lantern. If the contacts allow it, put the D cells in "backwards" (positive terminals to springs).

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
I ended up getting the energizer weather ready lantern from Home Depot. It used to be called the sea beam. Waterproof, floats, and Reverse polarity. That dang everled throws a lot farther on 6 volts than it does with three D's in my mag. Thanks for the input Illum_the_nation and others.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't recall that everLEDs have polarity protection, but hey :thinking:
EDIT: yes they do....my infos outdated by about 4 years actually :ohgeez:
in 08-28-2003 according to this thread they don't, an update in Craig's review of the everLED here indicated on 02-13-04 they are now polarity protected
and according to Doug's review of the everLED, received in April of 2004 also indicated they are

your welcome :grin2:

Last edited: