P90 LA vs. 8X and Surge?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking off giving my brother a gift of possibly a 9P as I see good prices and I feel guilty for giving him a 8NX that has continuing battery problems, even with replacements. I'm wondering how the beam quality and brightness of a P90 LA compares to the 8X LA and also a Surge as they are two lights that I have that based on stated output, I think should somehow be in the ballpark of a P90 LA. I love the Surge and think it is one of the best values for the dollar but I hate the steadily dimming function of alkalines and although nimh's produce a more constant output, it is at a reduced level compared to the Surge with new alkalines. Wondering if P90 LA light owners could comment on the beam quality compared to either or both of the lights I have mentioned.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 9P with P90 has a bigger hotspot than my 8X while the 8X has a bigger surround/spill light than the P90. The total output seems to be about the same. For general purpose usage, I like the 8X better, despite the battery problem. I just switch off batteries daily. For tactical use/ bump in the night...I use the 9P with P91. The 9P is also much lighter. Surefire claims to have new batteries from a different manufacturer coming out soon. I'd wait a month or two and see. The 8X is actually quite a useful compact light...IMHO.