Please help, looking for a 2xCR123 light with longest runtime for emergency.

hp20252

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, i am new to this awesome forum. I tried to do hours of research before i bug everyone but not with much luck.

I am looking to buy/build a flashlight at the cheapest cost that will meet the following.
1) Run on 2xCR123. All my other flashlights are CR123 and i love the long storage life.
2) Around 50-60 lumen with med throw/spill. Would love either 2mode (60low, and xx max), or constant 60lumen.
3) Long runtime, 10+?. Like P3D RB100 Black Premium 100, it is listed as 50lumen/13hrs.

P3D RB100 Black Premium 100 seems to be perfect (altho i hate all the modes), but wondering if there are cheaper ones out there that i can make or buy. I don't need something very well made because I want to store them in car trunks and earthquake kits, and I have a mod gladius and L1 Hunter for my daily use.

I am pretty good with DIY, so if anyone can point me to such a light to buy or build, you will be my new hero. :)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
For all of that stuff, just check out a Cree or Seoul light from one of the kajillion online merchants.

You should be able to find a light with those kinds of figures.

Why do you need 60 lumens, though?? I think (and impliment in my car and home) that a 60 lumen light is the high-end of what I need in an emergency situation. I'd rather have 5-10 lumens that last for days on end. Multilevel lights give this flexability.

I'd also reconsider the "doesn't have to be well made" idea - let's say there IS an earthquake, and your box is buried under the box spring and matress that fell on it. Once you dig it out, you find that the shock of all of that stuff falling on the box broke something loose inside the light. Not good. Plus, if you have something that's crappy, that's what you're gonna get from it, and then if you add Murphy's law on top of that it's even worse..

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really cool, really bright lights out there that'll do all of the stuff you want. But should something happen to your Gladius and L1 Hunter, you'd want something you can rely on.. spend the money and get good stuff..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Fenix P3D-CE Q5 and the Olight T20 Q5 are both great lights.

If you want cheaper, look at Dealextreme and Kaidomain's Cree/Seoul/Rebel section. Something like this would be pretty good(16 brightness levels should be enough). Or even cheaper, look at this(Two modes).

You might also want a AA light with a Lithium battery so in case you run out of batteries, you have something that will run on common batteries.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
just get yourself a L2d and put lithiums in it it will run on low maybe 12 lm for about 3 days! not to mention it runs on AA you can get them anywhere even a wall clock if it gets to that

Zenster

Enlightened
I shopped a while for a light for similar purposes of emergency which is why I ordered the L2D Q5.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=362&osCsid=672a110352e3c695642dc22350629bc3

I also like the long term storage life of Lithiums, so I'll stock some AA Lithiums for that purpose.
I decided on the AA L2D because I think in an emergency, AA batteries (alkaline mostly) would be a LOT easier to find than CR123's at this point in time.

As far as the multi modes, that's one of the features I liked about the L2D because the low 12 lumen setting is plenty light for most situations, and it gets 55 hours on a pair of batteries at that level. Then when needed, you can turbo up to 180 lumens with a still respectable runtime of almost 2-1/2 hours.

I like CR123 powered LED flashlights in general and will likely buy a couple more that tickle me just right, but for emergency use, I'll go AA every day.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Milky made a light just for that purpose. I don't know if it is still available. It was called the Milky Candle.

Last edited: