P1 CE build quality

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a P1 CE the other day as a gift but my inner flashohilic got the better of me and it's now in my collection (guess I'll just have to get another one).

The first thing I noticed about the light is that the build quality seems better than other Fenix lights that I own or have seen. The head appears to be brass (at least the threaded part) and the quality of the machining on the threads and knurling is much better.

I would hope that the quality of Fenix lights is improving (not that it was bad before) but the P1 seems to be better quality than my L1T v2 which is a newer model... so does that mean that the quality is going the other way? or is the P1 CE just an oddity?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others on this forum have mentioned that the P1-CE is better in quality than the rest of the Fenix line.I am hoping that an upgraded P1-CE with a Q4 or Q5 will be offered but I may buy the current model anyway.

heckboy

Enlightened
I think that my P1 CE is much nicer than my standard "old" P1. The knurlling on the P1 CE head is just slightly more aggressive than the P1 and P1D-CE making it much easier to operate one-handed. The threads are a good bit nicer on P1 CE compared to the "old" P1 as well.

I have a number of Fenix lights and think that it is a nicer machined light.

Regards,
HB

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I love my P1 CE Q2! I'll get it upgraded with a R3 when it's time. I also read here that it was the best fenix build quality right now.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
i was surprised that my P1D Q5 had aluminum where the P1 CE (q2) was brass.
A step backward?

D.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Really? Al on the Q5? My Q2 is certainly on brass. HUmmm, that needs and E-mail to fenix-store! See what David says.
Mail sent!

Last edited:

Delij

Newly Enlightened
Really? Al on the Q5? My Q2 is certainly on brass. HUmmm, that needs and E-mail to fenix-store! See what David says.
Mail sent!

Sarge, please let me know what his response is. Don't want to deluge him with the same question, so if you can just pass it on that would be super.

Thanks,
D.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delij, the P1D-CE all versions including the premium Q5 have no brass.

brass is only on the single mode P1-CE.

paulr

Flashaholic
The P1CE is my favorite Fenix right now. It's better built than any other fenix I've had. I wish they'd make a 1AA light like it (single mode twisty of minimal size) and a 2x123 version running at max power.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
David's email says no real reason for the change that they just use Aluminum now. I'd bet it's a cost issue, but hey I guess it's ok. Doesn't Al shed heat a little quicker anyway?