E2e Camo vs E2o w. MN03 output variance

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I have finally taken a bit of time to inspect my E2e Camo (MN03 LA) output and noticed several distracting annoyances.

1. When using the momentary on function the output would flicker and yellow. Increased effort seemed to help but since one cannot positively control the effort the light would revert to flickering. I have not had this problem with my E2o.

2. The spot was not the near-perfect circle that I have come to expect from my E2o w. MN03 LA. While the spot was circular it appeared as if it had a directional component which aligned with the lamp orientation (like a line superimposed on the circle). This is noticeable if you rotate the light or if you look at the periphery of the spot. Sorry but I do not have a camera to post a picture. The E2o may have had this but to a much lesser extent (to the point where I can not tell if it is real or just my imagination).

3. I decided to compare my E2e Camo (MN03 LA) to my E2o with MN03 LA. Alas the E2e Camo was considerably dimmer and yellower than the E2o. This is all with new batteries mind you.

So I took the E2e Camo bezel off and cleaned the lamp contacts with a dry tissue (there was a spot of lube on it) and then reassembled it. The light output increased dramatically but is still less bright than the E2o (and a touch yellower). The flicker is still there except not as pronounced. The spot shape also improved but still has the directionality and does not equal the E2o quality.

Anyone else notice this before or have an E2e and a Camo to compare? I will be doing a more thorough job of cleaning the lamp assembly, LOTC, body, and bezel contacts. I will of course contact Surefire for their advice.

Cheers.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lamps are different, manufacturing variances. everything will vary a little, especially the lamps. i've seen alot of differences in sf la output and color posted here.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you are not happy with your SureFire product, please contact SureFire Customer Service on toll-free 800-828-8809 to see if your concerns can be resolved.

I'm not clear whether it is the bulb, batteries or reflector, or perhaps a combination of these that you are unhappy with. Have you tried swapping everything around?

You are right to check and clean the contacts.

Please let us know how you get on.

Respectfully,

Al

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl, thanks. My main concern now is the darned dimming/flicker with momentary which could well be a stiffer spring or even the anodize difference or as you suggest normal manufacturing variances. I just want my Camo to be perfect. You'll be happy to know though that while the pipe does have tooling marks it is one of the cleaner ones I own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Cheers.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
monanza said:
You'll be happy to know though that while the pipe does have tooling marks it is one of the cleaner ones I own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.giflol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif nothing like a good set of tooling marks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

missed the part about the flickering, that sucks. i say call and insist on sending them in for sf tech support (or maybe pk himself) to check out, as al said.

let us know what happens.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15s, thanks I plan to call on them very soon. I have had nothing but stellar response and service from SF so I am not at all concerned. I just like to narrow things down a bit before calling. I will be swapping things around as you recommend; excellent idea.

Speaking of LOTC: Unlikely as it may be it would be nice if SF were to offer the clickies in Camo (and of course black).

Cheers.

llvo

Enlightened
They promised to ship me a E1e washer, but so far I didn't received anything...

I agree that SF Customer Service is great

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before the holidays shipments from SF took about two or three days (but that is within California). After the holidays I have had to wait a couple of weeks but that could also be due to parts availability. One of the items on my list at the time was the clip plug that had just been (or about to be) released. Actually, llvo, you should order the plug; it is a better solution than the washers in my opinion.

Cheers.

Shark

Enlightened
I had a bad battery in my E2E once and experienced problems similar to what your explaining on your Camo E2E.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh was that your post? 'When in doubt check the batteries?'. Forgot about that. Let me check... Darn that was not it.

Cheers.

Shark

Enlightened
Gee what's that all about? Settle down Surefire will make good on it they always do. Sorry to offend you that was not my intention.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I was serious not offended and I was not being sarcastic rather I was thankful. I really did not think to check the batteries. I did try a different set of batteries with the no improvement. I did not think to say so before so I say it now: Thank you. It was a good suggestion.

Cheers.

llvo

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, monanza.

Actually, Surefire CS guys replied me that they will send me a washer for free.
I don't know there is a clip plug...

anyway, I am not quite sure what is a washer either; I just know it fix the o-ring from slipping to where the clip sits

Billy

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
billy: the fastest a replacement part from surefire took to get to me was 1 week, and the longest was 2 months. hong kong isn't that far from singapore, so you might have to wait for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif