Need portable high output spot light.

lentuk

Newly Enlightened
I live out in the sticks on 15 acres, last night two vehicles came way out on my dirt road, parked in front of my house about 30 feet away and started yelling at each other, road rage, or marital dispute, what ever it was it got ugly.
I grabbed what I thought was my most powerful LED and tried to see what was going on but my light would not light them up.
I ended up yelling at them 4 or 5 times to leave the property and they finally left.

I have not been here on the forum for many years, other interests, can someone please recommend a spot or something I can light people up with on my property? My budget is whatever it takes.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on application, a great versatile blaster that will serve well outdoors is the Streamlight Protac HL-5X. Billed at 3500 lumens, it takes two 18650's and does a killer job lighting up outdoors at night. It's fairly available and about $100 if you want something quickly. It's not a throwy "spot" per se, it has an optic instead of a reflector, but makes up for it with sheer output. I've taken mine on a few outdoor adventures and never had a problem identifying anything at distance.

To me, Malkoff Hound Dog series will always be king of the bombproof portable throwers. I've had the older Hound Dog and the 18650 versions and they've always been great outdoors. I have not personally tried the Hound Dog Super but it gets high marks around here.

Let us know how you make out.

hsa

Enlightened
This has worked well for me. It has over a thousand yards of throw. It will shine farther than I can see. If you can hear them arguing then you can definiteley light them up. The above mentioned HL- 5x will also work well and is more useful as an all around light.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
**Full Disclosure**
I'm a dealer for multiple light brands and I'm not pushing anything per se but Nextorch is slowly becoming a favorite of mine for personal use.

This might be a good option..
Nextorch P82 (not my sale)

Review with beamshots (not my review)
Beamshots at 10:30 if you don't want to watch the whole thing lol.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
What lights do you already have so that we know what is insufficient.

How far do you want to reach?

I like double or triple LED lights for lighting larger areas.
Here are three, left to right.
Sunwayman D40C, Thrunite TN30, Defiant 3C 1200 lumen $10 at the home depot.
1696023110633.png

1696023136786.png

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Wouldn't be a good CPF member if I didn't mention this light, actually mentioned it recently, for good reason.
It uses four 18650s' in series @ 16V and likely pushes 6~7A at those 16V on Turbo
That's over 100W to a single emitter,, it's nuts output and there isn't a ton of wasted spill light.
You can have it lowest output for simple usage & double tap the switch for instant Turbo

Just a killer light, no other way to describe it.
= you do need buttontop 18650s' for it =

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
+

Wouldn't be a good CPF member if I didn't mention this light, actually mentioned it recently, for good reason.
It uses four 18650s' in series @ 16V and likely pushes 6~7A at those 16V on Turbo
That's over 100W to a single emitter,, it's nuts output and there isn't a ton of wasted spill light.
You can have it lowest output for simple usage & double tap switch for instant Turbo

Those Acebeam lights will definitely REACH OUT and touch somebody. I guess it depends upon if you need that distance, otherwise it may be too narrow a beam to be particularly useful at shorter distances. I really don't know.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Acebeam lights will definitely REACH OUT and touch somebody. I guess it depends upon if you need that distance, otherwise it may be too narrow a beam to be particularly useful at shorter distances. I really don't know.
+

Wouldn't call it a pencil beam at all, it's just a very powerful searchlight (with lower outputs avail)
Basically a ton of light

Like a sports car that'll do 200mph,, that's still drivable @ 55

add this video: go to 3:11 to get idea of output

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Wow - 30 feet and you couldn't light them up? Holy cow, yea, you need a new light - especially if you live on 15 acres, you need something with some throw.

Two that I own and like are the Acebeam K75 (6300lumens, 2500 meters, and expensive), uses four 18650s and considered one of the longest throwing lights on the market, and the Acebeam T28 (2500 lumens, 1300 meters) which is less expensive but runs on just one 21700, so doesn't have the longevity of a charge at higher levels but still a great light.

For more of a budget model, the Convoy L6 looks like a good possibility at 4300 lumens and 630 meters. It can be ordered with a de-domed emitter which adds even more throw. I do not have personal experience with this one like I do the other 2 above, but it looks like a good bang for the buck.

That Acebeam K65 mentioned by orbital above looks like a killer light too.

Check out youtube vids for any light you are considering. There are some really good reviewers and video makers these days that will really give you an idea of what the beams look like, hot spot compared to spill, etc.

Good luck.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam K65 GT Luminus SBT-90 GEN 2 6,500 Lumen 1,682 Meter Searchlight
You can have it lowest output for simple usage & double tap the switch for instant Turbo

Went for the recommendation on the Acebeam K65GT!

Paid $139 free shipping & no tax.
www.flashlightworld.ca
Last one they had, on sale at $147, with 5% discount because I took it out of the cart. (additional 10% off for first order - didn't get the email so didn't get the extra 10%...)

The Acebeam is kinda big and not a general purpose light. You might get more mileage out of a Thrunite Catapult Pro $89 or a Malkoff Hound Dog 18650 XT V2 $200 after 20% off for first order. The Hound Dog is an awesome tool with an easy to use high & low, fantastic spot light that is not a pencil beam and it doesn't waist lumens with excessive spill. The Nitecore SRT7i $115 is a good versatile thrower also.

Soo many options it's hard to choose... Good site to see all the options and narrow down a pick. http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?type=spotlight

IMG_7995.jpeg

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plenty of great suggestions, I use this as a Patrol spotlight and whilst not as powerful as my modded maglight it's a decent "off the shelf" solution albeit getting old by technology standards at only 600Lm output, however the large reflector size does make quite the beam profile and will illuminate well beyond 100ft.

Energizer hardcase rechargeable spotlight
20230930_231803.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Went for the recommendation on the Acebeam K65GT!
+

It's a good light for your collection, honestly all you'll need in a Search Light (deep reflector, not super wide)
I'm fine with it being four 18650s' (not 21700) because it's all about the series voltage anyway & it's not an overly big light.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here ya go.

Keep in mind this was the first version at around 1600 lumens on a fresh set of D cells times four. Now it is recharagable, costs $50-75 less before new purchaser coupon or a good sale, and goes a full 5000 lumens.

Wake me up inside indeed.

It also somehow manages to outshine brighter Lupine lights that are comparable.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm not overly impressed with the LEP. Seems like an expensive "one trick pony", especially if it's going to be your primary light. One bright hot spot, and zero spill / flood. You can light up one thing so far away that you need binoculars to see it, but it doesn't even seem practical to take a walk with because you just have that one bright laser focused dot. Check out the youtube vids.

I'd put the $$ into a Malkoff Hound Dog Super before I'd go LEP. Built like a tank, made in USA, lifetime warranty. And I'd get the longer body that takes two 18650 batteries. Good all purpose light with two brightness levels and will last a lifetime. I have the regular older Hound Dog, and it is no slouch. Will likely get a super some day.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
My votes in for a malkoff hound dog super. Get the body that runs it on 2x18650… you'll be set.

Great throw and spill, you'll light up a WHOLE LOT with it.

Also quite nice, you'll get a high / low mode with it.

If you want something a bit smaller I'd highly suggest a malkoff hound dog 18650 V2 with the 1x 21700 body.

It's a phenomenal light, I've fallen In love with it and thinks it's the biggest light I'd want to carry with me when I go out. Easily fits in a jacket pocket, or something similar.

Hound dog super would be my pick for your use though, if it's staying at home and being used strictly to light up as much of your property possible.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of cheaper alternatives: