How to mod a MiniMag to disable on/off switch

kjk200

Newly Enlightened
I now have 2 Mini-Mags with clicky switches (one Nite-eyez and one Terra Lux). How can I remove the parts that originaly made the light turn on/off. If I do this/ will I lose the focus ability? Thanks!

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you want to retain the ability to focus, why would you need to disable the ability to lock out the tailcap with the head? Just adjust the focus where you want it and use the switch to turn the light on and off. If you want to set the focus and not allow it to move on it's own, but be able to move it yourself if need be, use a 2in section of bicycle inner tube over the space between the head and body. That will stiffen it up quite a bit.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no part that can be removed to keep the normal "switch" on permanently to make use of a tailcap switch easier. The way the "switch" works is by the moving the entire bulb module up and down. There is a metal part on the top of the module that makes and breaks contact with the body to perform the switching action. When the light turns off as the head is turned it is because the reflector is pushing down the whole bulb module and breaking contact. If you want to keep it on, you have to stop the module from moving once the reflector reaches it. I think you would have to glue the bulb module in place to keep it from moving to keep the normal "switch" on continuously.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
It can be done quite easily with a thin metal washer. If you gently pry up the black plastic retainer piece at the top, you'll see that when the reflector is tightened, the retainer pushes the contact down, breaking the circuit with the body. To prevent this from happening, simply fit a thin metal ring washer with ID and OD dimensions so that it fits under the lip at the top of the battery tube and reattach the retainer. This will allow the switch to maintain constant contact without increasing the risk of parts falling out that simply removing the retainer would. KuoH
If you want to keep it on, you have to stop the module from moving once the reflector reaches it.

rolling

Enlightened
It can be done quite easily with a thin metal washer. If you gently pry up the black plastic retainer piece at the top, you'll see that when the reflector is tightened, the retainer pushes the contact down, breaking the circuit with the body. To prevent this from happening, simply fit a thin metal ring washer with ID and OD dimensions so that it fits under the lip at the top of the battery tube and reattach the retainer. This will allow the switch to maintain constant contact without increasing the risk of parts falling out that simply removing the retainer would. KuoH

exactly