Brightest 5W Mod Ever...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
...for me anyway. I put five fresh AA's and one dummy into the holder of THIS LIGHT (see 19th post down) which is a 5W SE mounted inside a M*glite 2D with 6AA battery holder to get 7.5V, and it metered 5,440 lux. I decided to put it up against the POOR MAN'S 9P running a SureFire P91 HOLA:

fc869233.jpg

The PoorMan produced this reading from one meter away (multiply the reading by 10):

fc869232.jpg

Then I stuck a sixth AA into the 5W Mag 2D and unleashed it on the poor meter:

fc869231.jpg

The numbers speak for themselves (but I have to say it, 7,020 lux!), although there is nothing like the tried and true beamshot visual, so here they are from five feet away on a textured white wall:

fc869234.jpg

The exaggerated coloring comes from backing off the camera to its lowest setting; actually the beams are both brighter with the U3U-binned 5W producing an almost perfect white color, with a tint just about matching the center of its hotspot above.

Then I angled both lights up against the ceiling from 25 feet away:

fc869236.jpg

Notice how the center of the 5W M*g beam retains its brilliant, bright-white hotspot.

Of course I do not intend to keep driving it on 9V since the unusually low Vf of this particular 5W SE Luxeon makes it more than bright enough at 7.5V, but still it was a brief and interesting exercise in pushing the envelope. I think I may have to transfer it onto a smaller host, maybe even down at 6V, for a durable, pocketable, bright little EDC.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooh lah lah! However the P91 seems to be more even in it's light distribution. The 5 watter has a very hot hotspot and it ends there. Wouldn't the P91 be better at range than the 5 watt since it has more light overall?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
The spot of the 5W remains well formed at distance and also expands with range so that it illuminates an ultimately more usable area out to 100 yards and beyond. From close up through medium distances though, the SF more than holds its own, although it's a rather yellow hold...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I can't wait to get my 5W SE 9v mod done!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I can only hope it performs near this well. Just need to get into the machine shop... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Banshee said:
paypal sent !!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

did he sell this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie, the U3Us are absolute wonders! I'd be scared to see how brighter the X3x's are... But your Space Needle is absolutely stunning!

Great job on it! The U3Us are the whitest, brightest LSs I've ever seen...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ufokillerz said:
[ QUOTE ]
Banshee said:
paypal sent !!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

did he sell this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif "paypal sent" is CPF speak for DUDE! that fk'in light ROCKS!! I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were for sale!!

even tho it's an old one, I still chuckle when I see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif