14 lumens per dollar

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the LED-modified 1MCP spotlight I alluded to in another thread. It puts out about 1400 emitter lumens, and cost under $100 in parts (before I screwed up and had to order 2 more dropins :whistle:).

Well, it will, at least. I fried two of the dropins by mistake. Their replacements are on the way from DX right now. I'll install them when I get them and maybe take some new pics.

Remember: on this dropin, the center contact on the back is positive, everywhere else on the dropin is negative. Learn it. Know it. Live it. Save yourself $20.

It's seven of these running in parallel inside a gutted Husky/Vector/Dlack&Decker 1MCP incandescent spotlight. The stock spotlight is rated on the box at 580 (probably bulb) lumens. It's running on 2 strings of 3 AA Eneloops, but there's enough empty space in the spotlight body to double that. Runtime isn't a problem because I didn't heatsink anything well, so I just run it for a few seconds at a time. That's ok, because the switch is momentary only, but you can lock it on or off. YMMV

Until then:

Here's a shot 'down the barrel', as it were. Note the two empty reflectors. Those were the two I busted. The gray is the thermal epoxy that holds the reflectors to the glass. There's definitely a better way to do it, but this works fine for me. I'll eventually pot the reflectors with silicone or construction adhesive.
DSC02266sm.JPG

Side view. I removed the rubber shroud that comes on the light. I had to slit it to get it off, it was so tight and thick.
DSC02268sm.JPG

This is my Pelican 7060 pointing into my backyard. The 7060 is a very bright light. Sorry about the blur.
DSC02269sm.JPG

Here's the spotlight (running only 5 of its 7 emitters, no less) at the same exposure. Sorry about the blur.
DSC02270sm.JPG

The 7060 has the edge in throw (at least when the spotlight is down 2 emitters), but the spotlight kills the 7060 in spill brightness and diameter and in total output, and while the spotlight's spot is slightly dimmer (it really is, the spotlight beam pic has the hotspot pointed nearer than in the 7060's pic, inverse square law, insensitive camera...take my word for it), it's much wider. And it'll only get brighter when I add the 2 more emitters.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems familliar ;)

Hey now, all I wanted was something about as bright as a car headlight for as cheap as possible. I didn't copy you. I was challenged to make a spotlight more efficient in early August, had the idea to use dropins immediately, bought the spotlight and dropins in September, and just got around to putting it all together the other day.

Last edited:

worldedit

Enlightened
I would be delighted if you copied my light. I know the Idea isnt that brilliant.

The brightness you claim is a bit much. I compared my unit to a Fenix to about 900 lumens. But those Fenix are overrated. I will measure the real brightness in a few weeks. Will ask a friend with a HDS-60 and a lux meter.

Do you wire all 6 AA in Series? 3 in series 2 parallel will give you about 60-70% brightness, with much more runtime of course.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be delighted if you copied my light. I know the Idea isnt that brilliant.

The brightness you claim is a bit much. I compared my unit to a Fenix to about 900 lumens. But those Fenix are overrated. I will measure the real brightness in a few weeks. Will ask a friend with a HDS-60 and a lux meter.

Do you wire all 6 AA in Series? 3 in series 2 parallel will give you about 60-70% brightness, with much more runtime of course.

It is a pretty good idea if more than one of us had it independently.

Maybe the emitter lumen claim is too high. The dropins are running at 3.6V nominal, so as to be nicer to the cells. It may not be 1400 emitter lumens, but it's still damn bright. That's what counts.

I suppose I could add 6 more eneloops in series with the 6 in there already for a combined nominal voltage of 7.2. But I think I'll add them in parallel, because the increased runtime and decreased heat production find me better.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey now, all I wanted was something about as bright as a car headlight for as cheap as possible.
Not quite as cheap as possible, but I'm surprised to see just how similar the price is to buying separate components. But what current are the LEDs running at?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite as cheap as possible, but I'm surprised to see just how similar the price is to buying separate components. But what current are the LEDs running at?

900mA according to DX, but it seems to vary somewhat with input voltage.