Novatac or Surefire?

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i am thinking of a new edc light. I hesitate between the Novatac 120P or the new Surefire L1....

I already have 7 Surefire's and 2 Fenix's, but dont have any Novatac yet.

I dont know a lot about Novatac lights...Is it comparable with Surefire in term of quality?

Thanks for your advices.

Sylvain

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Opinions of course will vary, but I feel that my Novatak is on par with Surefire quality. It may not have the "battle field experience" of a Surefire, but I believe the potential is there.

I own both the 120T and the L1 Cree, both wonderful lights! For me the 120T sees much more carry time, mainly because of the the size, it is a bit shorter then the L1. Also, the Novatak has an extremely dim mode which is useful at times for reading or simple low light tasks.

Chances are you will love both, but I wouldn't simply by the Novatak just cause you don't have one. Figure out which one suites your needs best and go in that direction. Or of course in typical CPF spirit... "bye both"!! :D

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would like the versatility of the light. It has a simple user interface if you do not want to play with any of the settings in the options menu. It's great to have the ability toprogram the light the way you like it. It is well made and since you already have Surefires and know what to expect from them why not try a Novatac.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing as you already have some SF's, why not throw caution to the wind and buy a NovaTac? I have one, and I love it, the Low-low mode is awesome to have!

Mayo

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops, just saw what my canadian friend just said, not tryin to steal ur thunder!

Mayo

PS yeah the NovaTac is pretty tough

djblank87

Enlightened
The 120P is a great light letting you of course select you lumen output. That is a hard toss up, they both have so much to offer :thinking:.

Ok, since you already have a few Surefire lights holding down the fort, try something new or you can just do what my sig line states:

:thumbsup:

gunga

Flashaholic
I have both (just got an L1 the other day).

I think both are fabulous.

THe L1 is more of a thrower, with a big broad spot. It is best with primaries, but RCR123 seems to work (not recommended usually). The switching is basic but reliable (2 levels). Feels great in the hand.

The 120P is shorter so doesn't fit the hand as well but is better for EDC. It takes any battery and is very versatile and can be easily customized (4 levels and many options). Knurling and threading is not as nice as the Surefire but is still high quality. THe beam is somewhat floodish with some throw but not extreme throw. Very smooth beam.

If I were to choose 1, it would be the 120P for sheer versatility (sp?) and the ability to run any battery. That said, the L1 is my first Surefire and it's real nice!

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
I have both (just got an L1 the other day).

I think both are fabulous.

THe L1 is more of a thrower, with a big broad spot. It is best with primaries, but RCR123 seems to work (not recommended usually). The switching is basic but reliable (2 levels). Feels great in the hand.

The 120P is shorter so doesn't fit the hand as well but is better for EDC. It takes any battery and is very versatile and can be easily customized (4 levels and many options). Knurling and threading is not as nice as the Surefire but is still high quality. THe beam is somewhat floodish with some throw but not extreme throw. Very smooth beam.

If I were to choose 1, it would be the 120P for sheer versatility (sp?) and the ability to run any battery. That said, the L1 is my first Surefire and it's real nice!

+1, I have both too and I dont go without the 120P, you will love it!

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I agree with djblank87. You have seven Surefires and a couple Fenix lights so try the Novatac! You won't be dissapointed...:thumbsup:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both use single cell. Both have low and high. Both have clips. I do not own either as i have a McluxIII PD-S. Now you should also consider that the novatac uses a abs plastic window compare to SF having pyrex glass window. More functions on the 120 whereas the L1 is a simple two stage. Both throw well however the L1 can accomodate the F04 beamshaper for flood also worth considering. Another thing to consider is warranty and customer support.
Anyway both are excellent lights in their own respect thus whichever you choose you won't go wrong....all the best

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Go for the NovaTac, it is one of thoes light that has near-legendary status around here, like is relative the HDS. I generally do not recomend them due to the price but if you already have 7 Surefire's, then the flashaholic bug has bitten you and the price tag will most likley not be an issue.

I have the previous generation of the L1 and while a great light it does not come close to the 120P in terms of flexibility. I have debated a new L1-Cree many times but for the money I would probably by another NovaTac first. I too have a pile of Surefires and have a ' small problem :) ' with 1 cell lights. Will a SF L1-Cree be in my future - probably but I am very glad that I have the NovaTac and glad I got it before the SF.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Also, I have been pondering the L1 cree. I have the novatac, and love it. BUT......I have been eyeballing the L1..... I just keep saying the serenity prayer. :thinking:

Ritch

Enlightened
Try the 120P. If you never had a HDS EDC U or NovaTac EDC P before, you will get to know a complete new dimension of flashlights. Nevertheless the SF is an excellent high quality tool. Having a couple of L1 (furhter generations) I am sure, the new compact Cree-version would be a good choice, too.

> richard

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for all your inputs!

I think that i am tempted by the Novatac.....

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire has less flood/more throw, a better clip, nicer threads, better lens, and a simple hi-low UI. If those are important to you get the Surefire. I prefer the Novatac for its smaller size, RCR123 compatibility, flood beam and variable UI.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
the L1 can accomodate the F04 beamshaper for flood

I forgot I had a beamshaper and threw it on my L1 tonight. Wow, the beam is great now. I was going to sell this light but it might be a keeper with the beamshaper.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is actually from a mag 2AA, it fits but it's loose. You might be able to find one locally where mags are sold. I googled the Surefire version and I saw it for around $12.

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
I have a whole bunch of Surefire and Fenix lights. My Novatac 120P is the one light I would keep if I had to pick just one. It is very versatile and easy to use. The UI is really easy to learn and most importantly to me, it's easy to use one handed. Switching between light levels is quick and easy.

I happen to love the clip on the 120P as it fits perfectly on most belts I wear. The Surefire clip is useless to me because it can't be used as a belt clip. It may be ok for a pocket but that's not how I carry.

I also find the beam to be very useful. It has a nice hotspot in the middle for a bit of throw and it also has a nice floody spill beam. It's perfect for in the house. I use the lowest level for checking on the kids when they are sleeping.

Get the Novatac. It's almost perfect.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
Which ever light you end up with ( L1-Cree or 120P ) get yourself a SF F04 diffuser. I keep one on my 120P as a 'lens' protector when it is loose in my pocket, proctects the lens form keys/coins...

The F04 on the 120P at a low level makes a great night reading light - soomth/even illumination of the book. Without the F04 I find the beam ( hotspot ) a bit 'uncomfortable' for reading. On a Gen II L1, the F04 takes what is basically a pure throw light and add a flood/utility pattern to it. I suspect that even thought the beam is more balanced on the L1-Cree, the F04 will still add nice versatility to it when doing tasks that call for a more uniform light source.