Ledil Square Optics On Cree XR-E Stars: Modification Needed?

MitchK

Newly Enlightened
I did a quick search of the archives and came up empty on this question...

I'm planning a DIY bike light that will use Cree XR-E stars with Ledil square optics (specifically the smooth spot square optic).

Those optics are apparently intended for bare emitters (according to the folks at led-spot.com, where I bought them).

Anyone have specifics on how much modification is required to fit them properly onto a star? The puzzling part is the optics have adhesive backing, so modifying without messing up the adhesive seems like it would be tricky.

There are some nice writeups on the web referencing that combo (XR-E with Ledil square optics) but no mention of any needed mods...

Thanks,
Mitch

Brum

Newly Enlightened
You can remove the adhesive backing, but leaving it on whilst modding the optic is also possible.
Doesn't really matter, if you are doing a 'achelot' the optic whill fit in the aluminium pretty tight.
The metal ring on the XR-E will also be clicked into the optic holder, so enough things that will keep the optic in place besides the adhesive.
If you mod it with the adhesive still on, make sure you also leave the backing of the adhesive on.

You need to remove some material from the underside of the optic, where your wires and solder blob will be sitting, that's all.
You can use a dremel, belt sender or a soldering iron with big tip.

Afterwards blow the optic clean (dust and other particles) with compressed air.

Last edited:

MitchK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick replies, this seems very doable. I may now also have a good excuse to get a dremel tool.

Led-spot.com is very pleasant to deal with. Those square optics are $3 each with a min. order of 3 of each type ordered. Shipping (within U.S.) was only $5.40 for 2-day DHL.

The only way you can order is by fax. To get the order form, you need to ask (use their online contact page) for it. Took them about a day to respond with the form. A minor hassle but they're very pleasant to deal with and processed my order the same day they received it.

Mitch

nightrider

Enlightened
The best plan is to keep your wire and solder as flat as possible when soldering to the star (maybe take reinforced cutter blade on Dremel on take off any excess). Next, press the Lens firmly on the star, then remove and you will see an impression of the high spots. Take the same Dremel tool and take out a little in those areas. After all this, the adhesive backing won't be as sticky, but you can reinforce with some silicone caulk if necessary. Silicone caulk is great for attaching lenses because you can pull them off later if you wish to swap out for another.

Good luck!
- Allen