Using a 1 watt luxeon

zmoz

Enlightened
Sometime this week I should be getting my new 1 watt luxeon star in the mail. If I hook that up to 3 NiMh AAs, or 3.6 volts, do I just hook the wires directly from the batteries to the LED, or do I need to use any resistors or anything?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, you will need resistor.
1 watt luxeon was rated from 2.4 to 3.27 (The Q binned one) V.
So, unless you use large heat sink or resistor, this assembly will fry the luxeon.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
btw if you got the one on ebay for $9.xx
it will be a M3JW, which is crap, just like the M4JW's and N1KW's i got for $6.XX, you could have bought one off me for heatware =)

btw your bin luxeon has a min forward voltage of 3.27 and a max of 3.51, just make sure that current doesnt keep rising like it did for me and blew 4 luxeons before i figured why. average current is 350ma acording to the data sheets.

zmoz

Enlightened
Are they really that bad? I'd still be willing to buy if you want to sell for cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm getting more and more confused here. If I feed the luxon 3 volts, exactly, just as an example, and all I do is hook it dirctly to the battery, is it going to die?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on the battery, i guess.
each battery has its own discharge capacity, means that it will supply current that was different from other battery. But i think you can safely connect them directly. Be wary though, just like ufokillerz said, if you got crap luxeon, you won't get enough brightness (it will be kind of greenie) from it unless you overdrive a bit. And overdriving kills luxeon. So /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly, yes, some LS takes less power than a standard Nichia, mine would go to 500 ma of current on 3.1x volts. Meaning to drive it at spec, I would only need 2 standard alkalines.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Will a 1watt luxeon be okay directly driven by a SF123?

[/ QUOTE ]

should be fine, but might not be as bright as you want.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the LS, if it has a low forward voltage like 3 volts, a single 123 will over drive it slightly, if it has a forward voltage of 3.2 volts, a fresh 123 might be just nice, fading slowly over 2-3 hours. You gotta get LS with low forward voltage bins. Q3H for example. The H means it's just nice for a 123. Or for that matter any other XXH.