Ok which light....

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being the flashlight guru in the family, my sister asked me which light to get for her bf / her to use around the house. I totally had a brainfart and couldn't think of one with these requirements off the top of my head.

Wants it to be an led light, size of a mag 2aa. Yeah i know, mag makes one, but what else is there....I'd prefer one that uses aa or aaa batteries, as they aren't going to want to feed it 123a's. Prefer runtime over lumens, although it should be decently bright. Most likely a single high power led over the multiple arrays of 5mm types. Price point of maybe $40 max.

Thanks in advance!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Rayovac Highbeam 1watt at Kmart comes to mind for a beginner, at $20. Uses old tech, but it's nice.

Also, Energizer makes a decent 2-pack they sells at SamsClub, which uses a Cree emitter. You get two lights for $30. Same shape as a MiniMag, even has a variable focus reflector, just slightly bigger, and with a forward momentary clickie.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173941

Chuck289

Enlightened
Fenix L2T off the top of my head. Or maybe the Inova radiant I think uses AAs? I havnt been keeping up with Inova recently.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also forgot to mention clickie would probably be a good thing, multiple modes totally not needed.

Thanks for the info so far guys! Do any fenix lights just come in the on-off flavor without the useless modes? Can you tell I've avoided fenix lights to this point? lol.

Chuck289

Enlightened
I think the only Fenix lights with single modes are twisties, and 2 modes on the most basic clickies.

Zenster

Enlightened
Also forgot to mention clickie would probably be a good thing, multiple modes totally not needed.

Thanks for the info so far guys! Do any fenix lights just come in the on-off flavor without the useless modes? Can you tell I've avoided fenix lights to this point? lol.

I don't know why you are avoiding the Fenix lights. They are probably the best bang for the buck out there. In this case, they have a particular light that matches your wants, the L2T v2.0. It, and it's counterpart that I have (L2D-CE/Q5) is exactly the same size as a Maglite AA except for the fatter head of the Maglite.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=335

It's not one of the multi-mode lights with the strobe and stuff you don't want, but it IS a two level light which is great because it's plenty brite if you want it, but left at the lower level, it'll run for 30+ hours.

I've got it's cousin, the L2D-CE/Q5 which is multi-mode and a little brighter on high, and while I thought it would be a PITA to have to futz with the modes, I personally found it to be such a great light that I've ordered another one.

Here's something to think about; just as Surefire is totally over-rated based on their cost (they've become a status symbol), so is Fenix totally under-rated.
You won't be disappointed with the L2T v2.0.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunately, there seems to be nothing that is just one (possibly two) level with a runtime of 4-5 hours on high + the other features the Fenix package offers.
Even the cheap copies max output, not runtime

Such a light would be sufficient for anyone except us ;)
I doubt anyone not into lights will appreciate multimode lights, possibly not even be able to use it at the brightness level suitable
(but take mine from me and say Your last words)

Marduke

Flashaholic
unfortunately, there seems to be nothing that is just one (possibly two) level with a runtime of 4-5 hours on high + the other features the Fenix package offers.
Even the cheap copies max output, not runtime

Such a light would be sufficient for anyone except us ;)
I doubt anyone not into lights will appreciate multimode lights, possibly not even be able to use it at the brightness level suitable
(but take mine from me and say Your last words)

See the Energizer Cree mentioned above....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The WF-606 looks similar to a Minimaglite.

The L2T V2.0 would be great. It's very simple to use. If you keep the head tightened and tell her not to loosen it, it would act just like a one mode light.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound appears to have the L2S for $20.97 on clearance, I think that may just fit the bill...ends up she wanted to spend about $20, so this may just be the ticket. Any downsides? (to a non-flashlight geek)

Last edited: