Sylvania LED Power Failure Light, has this been discussed?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Available at Sam's club in a three pack for $19.76.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=361320

I am constantly looking for inexpensive, useful gifts and wonder if this fits. On paper it sounds cool, an automatic nightlight which turns into a flashlight when the power goes off but I wonder about the flashlight aspects of this light. I mean no, I don't expect much but I am hoping maybe this has been discussed so I would know exactly what I was getting into before purchase. I tried to do a search on this subject but got an error message. I am wondering if the LED flashlight aspects of this light might do for a non cpfer in a power outage.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not good news, Glockboy. I would think a big company like Sylvania would design the lights to work on a trickle charge.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not good news, Glockboy. I would think a big company like Sylvania would design the lights to work on a trickle charge.

Unfortunately, most consumer-grade rechargeable (particularly NiCd & NiMH) devices are junk. They lack the necessary regulation of charging & discharging to keep the cells from dying a very premature death.

One unintended advantage of Li-ion batteries is that the unregulated cells are so fragile, and so dangerous, that manufacturers can't skimp on charge management to lower the price in the way they did with older rechargeable technologies.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a pack of these that have been plugged in for a while with no outages, like 8 months or more? And they are still working fine. Now I'll have to go test them to see if they all still light up when you unplug them :) I know they did about 3 months ago when we had our last little power outage. Overall they are not bad, nothing too exciting. I know that the batteries built in have a limited lifespan, but I would expect them to last longer than glockboy's experience. I'll post again when I've had a chance to play with them.

willrx

Enlightened
Update. Mine are still working fine. Just bought another pack and these are brighter. No plugging in issues.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Our is still working fine after several months, too.

I also picked up a couple of power failure lights at Target - these have two LED's when plugged in and one LED at the bottom when power's out. Main difference is this one has removable rechargable AAA's (3 of them) - which I liked as having the option of replacing the cells if they went flat due to old age.

Model on the little slip of paper (I no longer have the packaging) is "First Alert PFL320".

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these and it failed as well.
I recently bought a 4 pack of LED Dawn/Dusk nightlights at walmart for $5 and they have been working nicely. They're also pretty bright for the price.