Loft lighter

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new to this forum and well impressed by the knowledge you guys have . I am in the process of choosing a flashlight for my work being a heating engineer I need to illuminate loft spaces and also look inside boilers and dark cupboards .I fancy a surefire . What would you recommend .Is the u2 overkill or A2 not suitable ?
Any info gratefully recieved.
Thanks.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get something rechargeable if you'll be using it as often as it seems you will. Primaries will get very expensive to run.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire U2 will give a nice flood beam with multiple levels and very good brightness for "loft" looking :)

You can purchase a Leef body from Lighthound that allows 18650 Li-on rechargeable......here

I really think that multiple levels and primary 123's will last for some time (they will also be a business expense or perhaps your employer will provide).

CPF thread regarding U2 runtime
here

and runtime plots by kj
here

U2 w/Leef body and tailcap
150810369-M.jpg

Occasionally, older used U2's show in BST that had a removable plastic sleeve and rechargeable can be used.

I have had both A2's and U2, and I believe (not worth much!) that the U2 would be better for your app, due to the multiple levels.

However, incandescent and LED combination is good.........but for illuminating lofts, the U2 seems to fit perhaps better. Hopefully, others will share their experience?

Hope this helps.

jeffb

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 4AA Luxon mentioned would be good. It might be a bit too bright if you are working a foot or two from you. But a great light ( I have 3 located in different places and bags )

I like the Streamlight 2AA LED - review I did is below

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176741

Not real bright relative to many other lights but run all day and then some on a pair of batteries - I have use the 2AA LED for boat engine inspections and appliance type work and carry one in my PFD pocket for night marine work and patrols. If I was still doing plant maintenance machinist or field engineering the 2AA LED would probably be my primary light. I am giving some to friends that are mechanics for Christmas.

For more flood the Streamlight 4AA LED or Pelican 2440 - both 4AA lights - the Streamlight is brighter ( 7 LED's driven hard ) the Pelican is 5 LED's and runs longer and does not drive the LED's as hard.

You might think of a Headlamp if you are crawling around a lot - Streamlight makes helmet mounts for all of the above lights.

If you are doing inspections where you are working close to you then I don't think you would want a real bright barnburner of a light - too much light can be hard to work with up close.

I like the Streamlights because I can kick them around and they survive and they are not so shiny that I feel bad if they get dirty - they are rubber/ plastic and have hazardous atmosphere ratings.

Might be a case of two lights - one for far and one for close - there are several multi-level lights that I am sure others will pitch in soon.

Flashlightreviews.com is a great resource -

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

mb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might like the L4 it's got a low and high, I think leef might also make a larger body for that.

Personally I love the U2 and have to buy some rechargeable for it before the Socal CPF get together since I don't have any CR123's left.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Fenix Cree/Rebel line of lights would be great for what you'll need.

The Fenix L2D-CE Q5 would be great because it runs on AAs and has the output you'll need. 8% off coupon at Fenix store is "CPF8".

But if you foresee much abuse of the light, get a Surefire.

:welcome:

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a fantastic response and welcome to the board .I appreciate your time on this .you've given me some great options to mull over .Considering the U2 aginst possible L2/ L4 and something less powerful to work with. will the L4/L2 (more flood) light up the lofts better than the U2 .
I can see this is going to get addictive.:oops: :D!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Some interesting info that you might want to know,

The L2D-CE(Normal P4 version, not the Q5 version which is about 30% brighter) has more throw and output then both the U2 or the L4. It also runs over an hour before starting to dim on max with rechargeable batteries(also look at this thread). I'm not saying don;t buy Surefire. Just look at other options that might do what you want and still be cheaper.

The newer LEDs(Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Luxeon Rebel 100) have twice or more the efficiency of the Luxeon I, III, V and K2 LEDs. So for the same power, the newer LEDs will output twice the amount of light. That is why the L2D-CE can out lumen and out throw both surefire lights. But Surefire should still hold the upper hand in toughness(and price).

Do you need throw or Flood?
Batteries?
Price range?
Size?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for :D's, I tested a Surefire L4 with a McGimo 2 stage switch and the
U2. The U2 is brighter on highest setting. Both are LuxeonV LED and are floody and bright, but for longer distance brightness and throw, the U2 is a winner (again my opinion).

Picture show L4, with 2 stage, second from right.
123584855-M.jpg

Surefire M6, McGizmo HD45, Tigerlight, L4 and HDS EDC U60

The U2 is slightly larger and if you are interested, I can take pictures, tomorrow.

See links for "Cones" review and nice pictures and beamshots.

click here

and

here

Make sure you scroll all the way down for the U2, as there are comparison pix with L4.

You will probably end up needing a "pocket" light, too and you will have fun, comparing!

Jeff

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
just out of interest can the L1 CREE hold a candle to the U2?:thinking:...........

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, it should be comparable. I've heard the L1 is in the 70-80 lumen range.

Is there a reason you are avoiding other brands(sorry for asking this, but you seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that there might be other lights out there that might suit you better. I was wondering if you had though about them. I'm not trying to start an argument, sorry if it seems that way)?

Last edited:

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
I just liked the reviews I've read no offence taken i hope i haven't offended others by being ignorant to the other makes that are obviously quality as well .If you have any lights you'd recommend of course i will look further at them.only today I was at a DIY store and bought a cheap headlamp to use for now.Its just that i do like quality tools and their one of the best iv'e seen so far .

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You've got a price range, size, and battery preference?

Surefire does make good, tough tools(I like good tools too, but I have no use for them, and no money but that's a different story).

It's like a Landrover vs a Miata(might be a bad comparison). The Miata would have better performance but the land rover will be very tough. Both will get you from point A to B but if you don't need the absolute toughness, the Miata would be a better choice. If you foresee lots of abuse, get a Surefire or similar or even jump higher and get a McGizmo light(Or even higher and get a fully custom light). But if it only has to take mild abuse, other lights will do just fine(and might have better performance though).

Last edited:

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
cheers Gunner12 is the fennix 2ld a good alternative to u2/a2
and tell me more about mcgizmo but of course Its your fault if the mrs finds out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
McGizmo? Check this forum(And also the B/S/T, I am in no way responsible for the money you might spend). I don't have on yet(I have one coming thanks to the generous ksbman).

Guys, I'm not trying to start a Surefire vs. Fenix debate, so please try to keep thing civil.

The L2D-CE(the Q5 version is 30% brighter thanks to a more efficient LED) on turbo has more output and throw then the Surefire U2, but the U2 will probably take a bullet and still work while the L2D will break in half.

Review of the L2D-CE, Surefire U2(Compare the numbers)

The P3D-CE is even brighter(the Q5 version is also, 30% brighter) and is also pretty tough, though probably not as much as the Surefire(P3D-Rebel 100 abuse, the L2D should be able to take similar abuse).

How is the 2AA light brighter then the 2 CR123 light? Well, the Cree XR-E P4 LED used in the normal L2D-CE is about double the efficiency of the Luxeon V used in the Surefire, so for the same power, the Cree will output twice the amount of light.

Depending on what you are using the light for, the L2D might be a good alternative and it might not.

If the light will be seeing lots of abuse and punishment and has to work every time(Think wartime), a Surefire would be the choice.

But if it is will only see mild abuse and a you want to use normal batteries(AA batteries), the L2D-CE would be a good choice(Cheaper too). You can get 1 AA, 2AA, and 1 CR123 battery option if you buy the L1D and P2D battery tube, or the powerpack with a 2AA tube.

Quoting myself
8% off coupon at Fenix store is "CPF8".
There are also many other brands that you can look into, like Wolfeye, Lumapower and Dereelight.

What light are you using now?

Blinkybill

Newly Enlightened
broke my minimag with niteize drop in .got a £3.99 clone and its rubbish oh yes i've got the energizer headlamp £8 .the more I look the harder it gets .Is there anywhere you can buy novatac in the uk .

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think so.

The Fenix will be a big improvement over the Minimag(Low is similar in output to the Minimag Incan) so that might be a good place to start. Fenix Store includes international shipping in it's price and you should receive the light 1-2 weeks after ordering.

I'm not sure where you would buy a NovaTac in the UK(they have raised the prices, they used to cost $150 USD). Lighthound has them and I think they do ship international(With added cost).