Fenix P3D Premium 100 abuse.

Esthan

Enlightened

I started having some fun with Fenix P3D by checking the waterproofness
few days ago. Fenix was inserted into a bottle filled with water, where it
has spent ca. 6 hours. Since there was hardly any Pressure inside the bottle
I did not expect P3D to leak. It didn't.

Here is the setup.
000AbuseI-waterproof.jpg

Part Two coming right up.

Last edited:

Esthan

Enlightened

Before I start please excuse me following:
- quality of some pics - those were done by night while holding my Stafford on a leash
- lack of some photos - there was no chance to make those
- image sizes - those a weird for a sole purpose of showing maximum details.

Let's start,
Since the owner allowed me to abuse Fenix P3D, I made a photo of it, before I started having some fun
with it.
Abuse0-Start.jpg

I decided to use the same schema and route as I did with the SureFire G2L in the past.
Unfortunately, the weather changed the environment and this test has not been as the one before.
Fortunately I'm able to improvise. Test A to D have been done by dragging P3D on the ground

Test A: 400m walk on stony ground.

Once I came to the place I've got a bit disappointed because the stones from a long forgotten railroad
have been covered with leaves and snow. P3D has not been punished as I intended, but I made the whole
trek twice, just for confidence that it got some beating.

Abuse1-Stones.jpg

Abuse2-Stones.jpg

Here I've encountered first problems. Compared to G2L, Fenix has got a flat surface, because of the
the paracord wrapping stands out of the body and protects it from getting the damage it ought to
get. In G2, wrapping was behind the head - protected by it - hence head got damaged. I also had
to stiff the knot to make it hold tight - because of that P3D could not rotate and some parts of it
got more punished than others.

Results:
- P3D still works
- Switch works

Test B: 200m walk on pavement.

Here everything went as in G2L test, for there was no snow there. Here Is how P3D looked after the test:
Abuse3-Pavement.jpg

Abuse4-Pavement.jpg

During the test, I've thrown P3D at least two times at +-3m height and allowed to fall freely on the ground.

Results:
- P3D still works
- Switch works

Test C: 1200m Dirt & Water (Or Swamp if You will)

Environment changed dramatically here. In previous test I've had a dry abrasive environment, and this time
It has was compact mud with lots of puddles. I was just about to get mad at my own thoughtlessness but
I got the idea that in such a swampy environment a good test can be made - for example waterproofness.
Below a pic of the environment where P3D made it's trek.

Abuse5-Dirtandwater.jpg

Abuse6-Dirtandwater.jpg

As You see, there was no easy living for P3D, virtually every 2m P3D landed in a different puddle. It lasted
for ca. 1200m. As on the Pavement test I've allowed myself to throw P3D in the air for a free fall. Please
excuse me for not posting any pics, how did P3D looked after it.

Results:
- P3D still works
- Switch works*

* But there was a problem with the head. Although the switch was OK, P3D had a problem detecting low
levels and couldn't be switched on those. Tightening the head allowed access to Turbo modes - no problems
here. Normally by unscrewing the head a one could enter low modes - this time it went off. This problem
was repeatable, but it could be fixed by tightening the head, loosening with one full turn and tightening
again. I think that a mixture of water and dirt made it to the threads causing some problems.

Test D: min. 2000m walk on roads/pavement/kerbs

I admit that I had no lust go make my way home through the swamp from test C, more so after my SF10X
died away and I had no spares. So I decided to make my way home through suburbs. I thought, that if
P3D held till now it can take a fair bit more. For at least 2km I've dragged it on roads, pavement, kerbs
etc (hard ground).

I've encountered a problem here as well. P3D went off for ca. 1 sec after each fall from 2 to 3m height.
It's ok now, so I do not worry much about it now.

In this test, P3D has taken at least 10 landings on concrete alike ground from 2 to 3m height - and it continued
to work.

Results:
- P3D still works
- Switch works

Some pics and conclusions:

When I made it to bus stop I found out that I'll be faster on foot than with a bus. At this point I decided to give
P3D a rest. I've inserted it in my rucksack as it was and went home.

Here's what it looked like 45 minutes later:
Abuse8-safeandhome.jpg

It's not easy to see it on my pics, but lanyard survived it all ;) Just before photo shooting I've decided
to clean P3D in hot water. It's hard to believe, but after taking so much punishment the lanyard said
goodbye to me because of hot water.

Here are some detailed pics of abused P3D parts:

Head + Body
Abuse7-headandthread.jpg

Head:
Abuse9-head.jpg

Abuse10-head.jpg

Body:
Abuse11-body.jpg

Switch:
Abuse12-tail.jpg

Abuse13-tail.jpg

And of course a proof, that after all that it still works and is ready for more action:
Abuse14-Alive.jpg

Long conclusion:
As You see, P3D has taken a lot of damage on the edges. This was expected, for those parts are always
endangered with damage. But body made it little to no losses - and IMO that shows the quality of anodizing
used by Fenix. Not to forget is the fact, that during test C P3D made at least 500m underwater, + snow,
+ ice and did not let any water inside ! Glass is feeling good as well and P3D is still usable.

Short conclusion:

Fenix P3D is tough like stone and can be relied upon!

And an after bath movie as a proof that P3D has got all modes and works fine.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool test! And I thought it reminded me of the G2L test. :)

Don't take this as critisism, this is just actually nitpicking, but maybe you should try to make a standardized test and stick to it? I think the G2L an P3 test differed a bit, the G2L getting a harder watertest(in a river at deeper depth instead of a bottle as the P3) but the P3 got a tougher droptest(don't think you dropped the G2 from 3m repeatedly?). It's easier to compare lights then.
Again, don't take it as critisism, it's just some minor details. I really appreciate all the hard work that you must have made to make this test(and it's not easy when the environment and weather is not constant). There so much take about quality, reliability etc when it comes to different lights, but no one has actually made comparative tests (as far as I know at least).

Just feel sorry for the poor *******s that lends you their lights. ;)
Thanks again!

Esthan

Enlightened
Lobo, I try to standardize, believe me.

This kind of testing is new to me and few more attempts are needed before
I develop a fixed scheme that allows me to remain "uninfluenced" by external
conditions. These test I'm currently doing are just attempts and as You know
practice makes the master :)

Other thing is time - unfortunately I do not have much of it lately :( Dive test
takes a lot of time....

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lobo, I try to standardize, believe me.

This kind of testing is new to me and few more attempts are needed before
I develop a fixed scheme that allows me to remain "uninfluenced" by external
conditions. These test I'm currently doing are just attempts and as You know
practice makes the master :)

Other thing is time - unfortunately I do not have much of it lately :( Dive test
takes a lot of time....

Well, you're completely right. When I think about it, it can't be easy to make a test like this from start and then stick with it. As you said, practice makes perfect.

It's very cool that you makes test like theese, I don't think I've seen anything similar before. :goodjob:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
great work Esthan!

i'm impressed the glass lens didn't crack at all due to the 10 drops from 2-3meters height.

is the P3D top heavy, did it land on the head during each drop?

daveman

Enlightened
Esthan, you're one crazy SOB with one hardass Fenix light to spare. A rather appropriate pair.

I hope your review will finally convert some naysayers who make a sport of undermining Fenix's construction. THIS P3D WAS A BRICKHOUSE.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, sure did rough it up. Looks like it took more abuse than I would of expected. The Tank1 would be more suited to this kind of treatment and useage but you showed the P3D despite it's small dimensions will put up with quite a bit! More abuse than I would put my lights through, on purpose or not!

1 what

Enlightened
Mmmmmmmm , I'm inspired!
Nothing like the smell of technology abuse to excite a man.
Since I'm the proud father of a Tesla coil I now have the urge to see a P3D (and a T1) struck by lightning!
lightningdw4.jpg

I wonder if the drivers would survive?
But there is no way I'm going to do that to my units (since I haven't even taken delivery of the T1 yet).
How about it Four7's?
Tom.

daveman

Enlightened
Mmmmmmmm , I'm inspired!
Nothing like the smell of technology abuse to excite a man.
Since I'm the proud father of a Tesla coil I now have the urge to see a P3D (and a T1) struck by lightning!
lightningdw4.jpg

I wonder if the drivers would survive?
But there is no way I'm going to do that to my units (since I haven't even taken delivery of the T1 yet).
How about it Four7's?
Tom.
In spite of my curiosity, I do think subjecting our flashlights to lightning strikes is approaching the edge of vanity; no one will ever go through that kind of environment with his light, and if the unlucky lad should find himself in such a predicament, whether or not his light still works would be of little concern.

Esthan

Enlightened
great work Esthan!

i'm impressed the glass lens didn't crack at all due to the 10 drops from 2-3meters height.

is the P3D top heavy, did it land on the head during each drop?

I'm aware of the HDS head weakness so P3D landed at least 5 times on the head and still holds. No mercy ;)

Last edited:

Esthan

Enlightened

Please excuse me, but I found it funny enough to film it. Here I present You the
worlds first remote controlled Fenix P3D (after spending at least 14h in my freezer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwii6g59Hwk

Please note, that during it's stay in the freezer it was turned on the low level,
after I've shaken the bottle to see if it's iced P3D turned off and started
changing levels after pushing the body (not the switch !). Since It's not
frozen completely I've reinserted it in the fridge.

What does that prove ?
Theoretically - It proves that P3D responds well to low temp environment
Practically - It proves little to nothing aside of it's current owners silliness

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please excuse me, but I found it funny enough to film it. Here I present You the
worlds first remote controlled Fenix P3D (after spending at least 14h in my freezer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwii6g59Hwk

What does that prove ?
Theoretically - It proves that P3D responds well to low temp environment
Practically - It proves little to nothing aside of it's current owners silliness

:crackup: