Fenix L1T V2.0 - reliability and compatibility with 14500s

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've been pondering a Fenix L1T v2.0 - I like the output and the operation (although a lower low would be nice) - but wanted some feedback on peoples opinions on the reliability. Any issues or known problems? I'm considering this mostly as a backup light so I really want it to be a solid performer...

Also - I can't quite seem to pin down if this particular model is 14500 compatible or not - it seems some run them on 14500s but I'm not sure if Fenix recommends or if it was designed to use them.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If you don't like the "sort of" low now, that cell will make it plenty worse!
LM 31 that I love has the same trouble.

Gatsby

Enlightened
If you don't like the "sort of" low now, that cell will make it plenty worse!
LM 31 that I love has the same trouble.

LOL - you're right about that! One thing I like about the LF5 is even on 14500s you can get it plenty low. I'm planning on using NiMH's primarily but was just curious if I could use 14500s intermittently for when I actually want the increased output on high.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost the low mode when I tried a 14500 in my L1T v2 RB80. I do not think Fenix designed it for lithiums.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i believe, but am not 100% certain, that you should not use Li-ion cells in the L1T v2.0 and L2T v2.0 lights. they use Rebel LEDs, not Cree's or SSC's and, perhaps i'm mistaken (and would someone please correct me), but the lower Vf of the Rebel v. Cree/SSC makes the use of Li-ion cells risky as far as the emitter itself is concerned.

for example, i've read that the RB80 used in the L0D-RB80 has a +3.3VDC max. Vin - that would effectively eliminate fully charged Li-ion cells.

Lighthound mentions a max Vin of +1.7VDC and, i quote, "NO [emphasis theirs] 10440 Battery!" Elsewhere, on the same website, the max Vin for a Rebel equipped Fenix flashlight is +4.2VDC - for BOTH one and two cell versions!! So, now, at this point, i'm gettin' confused.

Last edited: