SF L2 LumaMax beam shape ?

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I'm leaning toward buying an SF L2 LumaMax and have a question that I hope you can answer.
On the SF website, there's lots of info about how bright the lights are but little is said about the beam shape - i.e. spot, flood, etc.
I have a G2L Nitrolon which I like a lot. It has a nice, white, bright central spot with nice peripheral spill. The spill is wide and bright enough to see what's there without being overpowering.
Should I expect a similar beam pattern from the L2 Luma ?

thanks
Steve

Spence

Enlightened
I have the L2 and am not all that impressed with it. However, my L1 Cree, in actuality, performs much better, is allot shorter,(enough to be my favorite EDC) and was $50 cheaper!! I just went down to the SureFire factory and bought the SF F04 beamshaper (diffusion) filter that fits all the models w/1" bezels, $12. It was worth the money. The L1 has a tight, far reaching beam and this filter gave me a wall of light. It's my favorite combo of all my lights.
grinser2.gif

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Spence, you are one lucky person to live that close that the surefire factory is just a hike away from your house.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me an L2 is a larger 2 stage version of the L4. Floody wall of light type output. I dont have a G2L for comparison so I can't comment on that. If you want a thrower the L2 isn't it. Mine was modded by Milky w SOB1000 and a Seoul emitter, MUCH more output and longer runtime as well. I would try one out before you buy it and try the L1 as well.

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I'm not really looking for the whole "wall of light" thing, so maybe the L2 isn't such a good choice.
What I'm looking for is :
- at least two output levels ... a low one with long duration and one with nasty high output.
- 1 or 2 C123's ... one would be cool, but if I can get a lot more out of the high setting, then I'll go for two. (that's why I was looking at the L2 in the first place - L1, 65 Lumen ... L2, 100 Lumen).
- LED for long life and durability

thanks
Steve

planex

Newly Enlightened
You may not like the L1 if you prefer wider spill, it is definately more of a thrower. The U2 has 6 levels and puts out a balanced beam between throw and flood.