simply cree from dx

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i seem to be in the business of supplying flashlight to friends lately.
fine by me, i love the hobby, sharing it with others is great.

alot of friends like the mte seoul aa, and really who wouldn't
but simply cree has my attention.
it's dimmer right, probably half as bright.
how's the runtime?
are there any other benefits that you can think of that it might be good for to a non-flashaholic, or even to a guy like me that i haven't thought of yet.

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4949

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS LIGHT....not be bought. Spend the 8 odd $ wisely.

I dont own it, but looking at the price, and Lux reading (1000?!?!), its not worth the money.

the 8dollars can be better put toward 2 packs of http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1100

and they will probably provide much more light per dollar
Crenshaw

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i thought i saw a runtime comparision of this by sethbuilt,
he said it ran for six hours.
so is it crap cause it isn't as bright?
wouldn't runtime be better for some non flashaholics.
they don't wanna replace batts all the time.
or...
ok, they do want a good light,
but would this be a good light for power outages?
i hate a multi mode light these days (except fenix) because of the annoying modes and they'll even start right on a strobe or sos if you were on high last time. so instead of keeping them around, maybe this is a good light for preparedness?

unless it's crap quality too and not just the brightness.

Joshatdot

Enlightened
I recently got two 1xAA's from DX, SKU 5346 & 1993. My review on them is here. In short the 5346 is brighter & cooler color temp.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1892 if you're looking for a decent runtime, decent brightness light thats tough as nails? I used it as a bike light for about 4 months until I got my nite rider... During that time I did a lot of commuting and some light off roading. All in a crappy clamp which dropped the light a few times a week.

As of when I modded it with a Q5 and driver it was still working as good as when I bought it. Oh yeah, I road in the rain many a time and never saw any water enter the light!

thekobk

Newly Enlightened
I just sent back 3 of these! 1 would not work at all and the other 2 would not work on new alkaline battery's. If I tried to use the light with alkaline it would only blink once but still would draw over 1 amp with no light at all, If I used nimh the 2 lights worked but had bad flicker. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I am still waiting for them to post my bad review and issue me a refund.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i guess simply cree is out if everyone says quality is crap.

but i bought a romisen already, the black one, and it was too much of a thrower and i know i'm not looking for bright but the mte seoul aa killed it, especially in spill. maybe if it was op i would have liked it better.

soo... maybe i need a cheap seoul for gifts?
anything cheaper than mte seoul and known for better runtime?

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
I simply bought one of these to try it out. Cheap I had to try it out the Cree is P4 yet the reflector is crap a cheap plastic one. Being curious i tried a different reflector it looked great yet it doesnt fit in the housing :thumbsdow. Right now Im currently on the lookout for a metal reflector for this one. Im currently sanding down the glass lens I ordered from DX to fit the DX simply cree. I already put a metal chrome clip on it with some Gorilla Glue. It looks pretty yet the feel one the metal feels too light. I noticed it has a different circuit board like a buck booster anyone can confirm this.
http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/browseCustomerPhotos.dx/sku.4949~id.651

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I included the "Simply Cree" in my DX/Kai single-stage 1AA round-up of some time ago:

DX/KAI Single-Stage 1AA Cree/SSC shootout: BEAMSHOTS + RUNTIMES

As you'll see, the runtime was quite good - about 6 hours to 50% on 2500mAh. But as you already know, output was about half that of most cree-based lights. Like most everyone else here, I don't recommend it because of quality issues.

Incidentally, bessiebenny has a good up-to-date review of the current crop of DX lights in the Review's forum ....

P.S.: if you are looking for good quality lights, I have just create a new thread on multi-stage 1AA lights (see my sig below for link). Includes the Nitecore DI, Olight T15, etc.