Tiablo A9 or modded Gladius?

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I need a good duty light and am really leaning towards the modded Gladius but at twice the cost I'm hoping others will say it's worth the cost. This will be a duty light so durability is important. Also the brightness of the Tiablo is 250 lumens while the Gladius is 160 lumens but I'm curious if they are measured the same. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had a modded Gladius, so I am sorry, that I cannot comment there. I have had a Tiablo, and they are very bright and throw a long way, plus have a decent spill for whole target illumination. The only thing I did not like about my tiablo, was that I felt if I ever dropped it on the concrete, its huge bezel would land face down and shatter.

If I was using the light for patrol, (simply my own opinion, others may disagree) I would pick a Pelican 7060 or Fenix T1. Both are brighter than heck (I have both) come with (or can be bought with) a forward clicky, and have good throw abilities and bright spillbeams. The Pelican uses a plastic bezel and the Fenix's bezel is way back into the light and surrounded by steel.

Just my .02

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a Gladius and use it during the summer as my duty light.
During the winter I go to my Pelican 7060.

My Gladius isn't modded yet :whistle:

I think that the form factor, functions and user interface of the Gladius make it the perfect duty light, there really isn't anything else like it . Once I have mine modded out it will probably be me primary duty light again.

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I'm not in LE but I can tell you that if I was my Gladius with the P4 would be my #1 duty light!

This light is amazingly bright and the UI is so useful its unreal!

I carry mine often as my EDC, as a civilian I just wish it had a pocket clip.

I have no experience with the A9, sorry...

Mercaptan

Enlightened
The Gladius is a perfectly practical light. It's useful for LEO applications. I can't say much about the Tiablo, but I'd rather go with something I trust...

Dr.Skaramanga

Newly Enlightened
it depends on where you want to use the light
the diabolo ist a super thrower, perfect for outdoor use where youneed to illuminate long distances

the gladius is more a thrower, perfect for indoor, but still powerfull enugh for outdoor, and is dimmable, and has a realy usefull and workling strobe
i like als the UI

my first choice ist the gladius and i use ist for EDC, such superthrowers are not that univerals and only usefull in speciall cases

the best decission is to buy both ;)

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the form factor, functions and user interface of the Gladius make it the perfect duty light, there really isn't anything else like it . Once I have mine modded out it will probably be me primary duty light again.

I have a modded Gladius and an A9. The A9 is a really great light, but for duty I agree with the quote above.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,
I need a good duty light and am really leaning towards the modded Gladius but at twice the cost I'm hoping others will say it's worth the cost. This will be a duty light so durability is important. Also the brightness of the Tiablo is 250 lumens while the Gladius is 160 lumens but I'm curious if they are measured the same. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

i have both lights (though my Glad' isn't modded). while not a LEO, i have LE in the family.

please keep in mind that if you go with the A9 that you will need to purchase the tactical FORWARD CLICKY TAILCAP also. the tailcap that came with my A9 starts out on LOW with the first click. another click is required to get HIGH o.p. (output) mode. check though, the optional FORWARD Clicky tailcap might be HIGH o.p. mode only (i don't have one, but that's how i read the info on that tailcap - i could be misreading it though???).

as others have already posted, the UI on the Glad' is tailored for LE and SOP. the ability to have the light turn on in one of various modes (including brightest and a very disorienting strobe), as well as to have the light on at a low o.p. level, but then rotate the mode selector ring, while the light is on, to pre-select (without activating) brightest or strobe in case the situation deteriorates and then activate the tactical pre-selected level must, by my naive, uninformed way of thinking be ideal to give one the half-second or more tactical advantage that they need to be the survivor of the encounter.

the spot on the Glad' is tight and bright (even on my unmodded Glad') - a real shooter's spot, IMO.

go with the Glad' - modded or not.