Headlamp mount for standard flashlights

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've grown tired of my cheap multi-led headlamp. It's dim, rickety and the switch is slowly dying.

The obvious solution would be a Zebralight, but I'm trying to save up some money and can't afford the price tag.

So I'm wondering if I can get a head attachment that allows me to use my existing CR123 and AA flashlights as headlamps instead...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niteize has one for minimag sized flashlights, perhaps they also offer others?

pipspeak

Enlightened
You could get a PrincetonTec Eos headland and mod it with a more powerful LED. It sounds very easy.

The nite-ize headband is not great IMO because it has no elasticity so tight as you try to get it at some point it will slip, espeically with a heavier light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The elastic holder on the NiteIze will stretch enough for a CR123 light, but, like pipspeak says, the velcro part on the band has no elastic.

Geoff

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a NiteIze headband recently just to throw in the trunk of the car in case I needed it for a flat or something. I'm usually carrying a L1Tv2 in my jacket, so it's an ok fit. Not as good as a headlamp setup, but better than nothing.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
I also believe Pelican makes one?

yap, Pelican does manufacture helmet mounts for rescue helmets & safety helmets. but the mounts r not 1-size-fits-all. i thought of getting them in the past but i don't really like the idea of my lights off-centre & partially protuding (compared the a headlamp w/ batt unit housed together with the lamp module).

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 50% of the useability of a headlamp is that it frees up your hands.

The other 50% is the ability to tilt it up and down on the fly as your needs change.

None of the accessory straps have a tilt mechanism. Save up for an EOS and mod it, I see them crop up for around $27 on Amazon and BST.

The Zebra is so floody its use is limited to arm length tasks.

pipspeak

Enlightened
The Eos was recently $27 from brightguy.com and I have a new emitter on order for the mod ($6) :grin2:

My Nite-ize headband lies un-used in the back of a drawer.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a blue Jakstrap that I got several years ago. It is still in pretty good condition since I've almost never used it. The elastics aren't stretched out at all. PM me your address and I'll send it to you for free if you want it.