SF L4 - Using with 17670

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I want to buy a used L4 that is size compatible with the 17670 cell.

Is there any way to visually tell (without having a 17670 cell available), if a given L4 can use it?

Along with the the normal things like doughnut and tint, are there any other things to check before purchasing?

Thanks for any information.

bouncer

Enlightened
usually the older flat sided bodies work but that can be misleading because of battery variations I have a newer L4 and an E2E with a KL4 head and the ID of the bodies are slightly different but I think both of mine will take 17670's I haven't been able to buy any to try.If you buy one and they don't fit just put it back up here for sale in the market place they usually don't stay for long great light. Good Luck

GRoLED

Newly Enlightened
I'm running my L4 with a 17670.

It's a newer L4, and it would fit the cell straight out the box EXCEPT for a small section which has a narrower ID at the tailcap end. Only about .5mm in diameter smaller than the body, and about 10mm long I guess.

That was soon sorted with a round file.

I'm not sure how typical this is and if I just got lucky with tolerances on the body.

If you're able to check the doughnut and tint I'd suggest ordering a 17670 and trying to get it in the body while you're handling it.

Numbers

Enlightened
I have been using a 17670 in my L4 for about two years now with no problems. But I dont know if newer L4 tubes will accept the rechargeable because of reduced ID. If you are buying used it's likely you will be ok and that the seller will be able to confirm that they fit.

Illum

Flashaholic
Despite popular beliefs that the older variants of the L4 can take 17670s and not the newer generations, a few newer two sided bodies have been told they are 17670 compatible

Mine is two sided [words below the clip] A97605 and accepts AW 17670s very smoothly:grin2:

it depends on several things though:candle:
  • what brand of 17670s are used? despite common belief, 17mmx67mm is the ANSI dimensions, but shrink wrapped cells sometimes have dimensional variations:whistle:
  • is it an used light? the body may have been bored out for rechargeable purposes, such as a few old U2 bodies bored out for 18650s:whistle: