Light to compliment my friend's new Audi?

dano101

Enlightened
My friend just bought a new 08 Audi A4 Quattro, has a hookup for every gadget under the sun in it, but when i asked about safety he said that if he ever needs a light, he will just use the ambient light from his cellphone.

YIKES!!!

What would you all reccommend as a light to compliment his Audi (Silver exterior black leather interior, primarily ebony and carbon trim 2.0T).

I want to get him a light thats a mix of luxury and performance (like his car) that will compliment it in every way possible.

Any ideas? Oh and price about $100

I was thinking of something like a Surefire 6P Defender. Classic design, good performance (for someone who has never owned more than a 2AA light before) and nice agressive look to it.

Thanks,

Dano

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he's going to keep it in the car and use it in case of emergency, I'd suggest a headlamp. Nothing blows more than trying to change a tire in the dark while it's raining and only having one free hand.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Friend's new Audi? Skip the lithium route. If it decides to vent and burn down his new car, I think the relationship may become strained.

dano101

Enlightened
Never thought of that before. I thought that normal lithium cells were pretty stable though? I was looking at lithium because of the extreme temperature differences in our area of Canada -40C to +40C

Size15's

Flashaholic
How about a G2L-YL (make sure it's the latest version with the yellow anodised aluminium bezel)
For the glove box, it's yellow and so located more easily (not only to be able to find it in the glove box, but also find it whilst on the roadside after setting it down for a moment... )
It is Nitrolon and so warmer and easier to grip in the cold/wet.
SF123A powered so can wait in the glove box for years.
btw, I don't consider the risk of SF123A's venting etc to be an issue at all.
Stick with the regular P60L LED lamp supplied. Longer runtime is more important than higher output in this situation in my experience.

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
For the amount he would ever use it, i was looking to get him a light that looks like it would have come factory with the car. Hes not the type to ever change a tire etc, i just want to get him a light that he can use instead of his cellphone's light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For the amount he would ever use it, i was looking to get him a light that looks like it would have come factory with the car. Hes not the type to ever change a tire etc, i just want to get him a light that he can use instead of his cellphone's light.
PhotonII (MAX white) for his keys then?

PatS

Newly Enlightened
As the question was for a light to compliment the car, I would think the L1 would fit the bill.

The 6P is practical, where the L1 is state of the art.

Just my opinion.

dano101

Enlightened
Yah pat that is what i was looking for... Something with great technology, rugged design, but great looks, and the SF greyish olive drab would match the interior carbon fibre look pretty well... plus i can find it around the $100 mark... that might work....

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Porsche LED light (stainless steel, silver color, matches the Audi color combo described here) the obvious choice?

Don't know much about the specs of this particular light, but if your friend has been using some old style AA's, he won't be disappointed anyhow. And it's well within your price range.

You can see a pic here at e-bay motors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...LASHLIGHT_W0QQitemZ220149983198QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and it can recharge directly from the cigarette lighter in the car! (a feature you can't find in even our CPF-approved supposedly advanced flashlights).

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Porsche LED light (stainless steel, silver color, matches the Audi color combo described here) the obvious choice?

Don't know much about the specs of this particular light, but if your friend has been using some old style AA's, he won't be disappointed anyhow. And it's well within your price range.

You can see a pic here at e-bay motors:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...LASHLIGHT_W0QQitemZ220149983198QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and it can recharge directly from the cigarette lighter in the car! (a feature you can't find in even our CPF-approved supposedly advanced flashlights).
Um, that light is $45 plus $10 shipping. There's a $33.60 auction for this same light with $2.90 shipping--much better deal.

Likewise, if anyone wants one of these but finds forking out $30-$50 a bit absurd, you can go for one of these at $13 shipped.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry about lithium primaries. Stick with a quality brand and don't abuse them, and they'll be just fine.

Yes, but make sure you tell him that since he'll be the one in possession of the light. Now when he asks why this is necessary...

Seriously, somebody who's content to use a cellphone screen for light, probably isn't going to appreciate a CR123 based light as much as somebody here might. I'm sure he'd definitely not appreciate the local price of batteries to feed it.

I say get him one of the AA based lights out there. (Fenix, Ultrafire, etc.) Spend around 50 on it and then take the other 50 and get yourself one because the truth of the matter is: Anyone who doesn't pack a light or is satisfied using a cell screen is most likely not going to use it very much or lose it/track of it altogether over a course of time.

If you hand him a Fenix and he does cartwheels across the lawn after turning it on, then yeah, get him a Surefire if you wish. Until then, play it conservative with the wallet.

meuge

Enlightened
I always thought that Fenix lights in "Natural" finish were pretty dressy.

Get him the tiny Fenix L0D-CE from www.fenix-store.com in "Natural" finish, before they're all gone. Stick in an Energizer L92 AAA lithium battery, and put the light on his car keys.

dano101

Enlightened
I agree with all your points totally. He's the type to want the 'best' of everything, but didnt know there was a market for 'high end' lights. And the $100 is a starting point (his money not mine) for a light for his car only... purely based on style, performance, etc (not even the functionality of it) i want something that when you put next to his audi, youd think the light came as a factory accessory (nice idea on the fenix in natural). he said if he likes the car light hed get a 'better' one for all hsi other activities.

Im really trying to convert a non-believer here with the best i can get for the $100ish budget. Like trying to get a non-religios type to start attending church... i want to wow him so he starts attending hehe.

Dano