Vital Gear FB1 1x123 body review

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I just got 3 VG FB1 1x123 flashlight bodies in.

Two words sum up the bodies - Small and interesting.

Compatible with the E-Series heads only, the tailcaps are proprietary. So - don't plan on doing any Lego's with them other than with E-Series heads.

The flashlight is the smallest body I've seen yet. It's a good 1/2 inch smaller than the E1L's, and that's including the VG's tailcap prongs.

The bodies seem to be compatible with 16340's and 123's - so feel free to use both.

The tailcap is removable, a bit small, and I worry about it's durability. It's far shorter than the SF and Aleph ones, even with the tail stand prongs.

The tailstand prongs on the rear are sharp enough to cause pain when you dig it into your skin. Be careful.

Knurling on the body isn't as aggressive compared to the SF or the Aleph/Sandwich Shoppe bodies. It's smoother, but still gives you some semblance of control over the flashlight.

The HA coating is close to the SS 1x123, and is shinier than the SureFire HA coating.

The pocket clip is "okay". I don't know how durable long term it will be, but it does resist some level of prying against it - so it's decently strong. I'm going to give one of the bodies equipped with a KL1 head to my 6 year old and see how bad he can munge it up.

One minor criticism - the body is "light". I don't have a postal scale, so I can't weigh it, but the body from VG seems slightly thinner and is lighter than the bodies from SF and Wayne at SS. I worry about the durability of it - I do have a tendency to bash stuff around. The bodies from SF and Wayne seem like I can drive my truck over it and they will survive. I'm not so sure about the VG one.

Considering I paid under 30 dollars (including shipping) per body, I figure you get what you pay for.

I have an E1E coming inbound from the BST forum, so I bet that the E1E incan head combined with the VG FB1 body will provide one really TINY flashlight that will give some decent output.

It seems that Vital Gear is still available for now - at least through SupremeCo. It's a toss up as to whether SupremeCo is the body maker and VG is a name brand of it, or if VG's inventory got bought out by SupremeCo and they are selling what's left.

Pictures and links are below.

-Steve

IMG_4613b.JPG

Left to right: Aleph 1x123 w/KL1, SureFire E1L w/KL1, VG FB1 w/KL1

IMG_4614b.JPG

Above - body only, Aleph vs. VG

IMG_4615b.JPG

Above - Comparing batteries vs. body size

IMG_4616b.JPG

Switch end - all 4 holes in the spikes are threaded too.

IMG_4617b.JPG

Above - you can see that the body can handle larger rechargeable batteries.

IMG_4619b.JPG

Above - in the hand comparison. From top to bottom - Aleph, SF EL1, and VG FB1.

Picture Links:

http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4613b.jpg
http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4614b.jpg
http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4615b.jpg
http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4616b.jpg
http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4617b.jpg
http://www.yeefamily.us/sgyee/cpf/vg1x123/img_4619b.jpg

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK , so you bought these recently from Supremco?? How long did shipping took?? Also what kind of spring they have?? Leaf or coiled??

Last edited:

Groundhog66

Banned
I've got an FB1 with a Cree'd A19 head on it, nice little light. I am hoping to get a couple more FB1's on order in the near future, I like them.

BTW, your review was nicely done.:thumbsup:

Tim

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I ordered them on the 26th of December. I got them today. Not bad. 7 days from order to receipt.

The spring is a coil spring. I'm assuming you're talking about the spring out of the tail cap that contacts the battery.

-Steve

OK , so you bought these recently from Supremco?? How long did shipping took?? Also what kind of spring they have?? Leaf or coiled??

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thank you! The FB1/A19 seems like an interesting combo. Any pics?

-Steve

I've got an FB1 with a Cree'd A19 head on it, nice little light. I am hoping to get a couple more FB1's on order in the near future, I like them.

BTW, your review was nicely done.:thumbsup:

Tim

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered them on the 26th of December. I got them today. Not bad. 7 days from order to receipt.

The spring is a coil spring. I'm assuming you're talking about the spring out of the tail cap that contacts the battery.

-Steve
Yep, the battery spring..Good to know they are coiled. Thanks for the info.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 1-cell FB1, 2-cell FB2, and 3-cell FB3 bodies and really love them all. I've had no problems with the clips. They seem quite strong. I love that the clip is bezel down and doesn't show much (deep pocket carry) when clipped. The finish seems very tough and the inner surface is chemkoted, a nice touch. My FB1 and FB2 have the coil spring negative contact, while my FB3 has the older tab negative contact. My FB3 did have contact problems with Li-Ions, so I soldered a thin (very thin gauge) piece of wire to keep the contact as was noted in a CPF thread for a fix to the old tab contact switches. Overall, I love my VG bodies and think they're some of the best made both quality- and ergonomics-wise.

Patriot

Flashaholic
That's neat that these are still available. I thought they were gone forever.

Sounds like you had a good experience with them. It might be worth a try for me.

Thanks for the heads up.

houtex

Enlightened
Thank you Groundhog. That setttles it for me,at least one of my fb1's will be getting a A19 head. That is a RPM bezel isn't it? Are they available or do I have to wait for one to come up in BST?

Groundhog66

Banned
Thank you Groundhog. That setttles it for me,at least one of my fb1's will be getting a A19 head. That is a RPM bezel isn't it? Are they available or do I have to wait for one to come up in BST?

Thank you, I really like it also. And yes, it is an RPM bezel. Contact RPM directly, see what he has available.

Tim

Talas

Newly Enlightened
I have 1x123, 2x123, & 3x123 VG bodies available for anyone who wants to trade. I used the 3x123 body with a KL1 head and two AA batteries for a house light. Just PM me.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, that Aleph head looks sweet...so clean.

If anyone's interested, I have a new (purchased from Lighthound, never used) EXe HAIII Nat head I was looking to sell. Matches perfectly with the VG bodies. I was going to use it w/ my VGs, but picked up an E2D head instead.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
The E1e head really makes things small. Here's a comparison between a VG FB1 using a KL1 head and an FB1 using a E1e head.

IMG_4621b.JPG

Combine that with a LF HA01R, and you're doing better than a KX1 headed unit for nearly 3/4 of an inch less. Compare that to a Aleph/SS 1x123 body, and you're slightly over an inch shorter.