Camping facility

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested in camping, but heard lots of "got kidnapped/robbed/harrassed/ by crazy people" because of bad area to camp. That's the main reason that kept me from going. I am getting older now and if I dont do it now, I might loose the spirit to go later on. I am from California, anyone know a good safe camping ground in California?

Some place with a stream/river and dark (safe enough) for me to do some flashlight flashing for fun. Somewhere there's park ranger or someone to regulate the campsites.

-E

h_nu

Enlightened
If you are fit and can backpack perhaps instead of a "campground" you can go to a National Forest. Never go alone and consider going if you can find a friend with some experience.

I have many fond memories of Los Padres National Forest and the upper reaches of the Sisquoc river but if car camping is what you are after I don't know of anywhere.

acourvil

Enlightened
The state parks for the most part are pretty safe and generally have rnagers or other attendents around. What part of California are you interested in?

InTheDark

Enlightened
You're probably safer camping in the mountains than walking down the street in LA. While you shouldn't ignore the obvious dangers, they're extremely exaggerated, and almost any established campsite is plenty safe for families.

California is lucky to have almost any type of terrain imaginable within a few hours drive. There are tons of places to go. What kind of areas do you like? Forest, beaches, desert? Backpacking, primitive camping, tailgating?

PM me if you want more info.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Jump in the car, drive north on 395, along the east side of the sierra's. The area from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite and Sonora Pass is loaded with beauty, quiet campsites, fishing hiking, and solitude. I have fond memories of Convict Lake, Rock Creek, and Green Creek outside of Bridgeport. But those may be too far north for you.
Here are some southern Sierra Nevada references
http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?area=15002

KingSmono

Enlightened
I'm not from California, so I can't help there... but I regularly camp in State/National Parks here in Florida, and have NEVER had a problem. (with people that is... now raccoons are a different story! :) )

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're probably safer camping in the mountains than walking down the street in LA. While you shouldn't ignore the obvious dangers, they're extremely exaggerated, and almost any established campsite is plenty safe for families.

California is lucky to have almost any type of terrain imaginable within a few hours drive. There are tons of places to go. What kind of areas do you like? Forest, beaches, desert? Backpacking, primitive camping, tailgating?

PM me if you want more info.

I like forest and beaches...what's primitive camping (no shower??) & tailgating?

acourvil

Enlightened
I am located in Los Angeles, so anywhere within a 2 hrs drive would be nice.

One of my all-time favorite places is Refugio State Beach, just North of Santa Barbara. The catch is that is is very hard to get reservations because it is so nice. Just south of that is El Capitan State Beach, and right across the highway from Refugio is a private campground. El Cap is also right at the beach, although bigger and more spread out that Refugio. El Cap has some very nice camp spots, and some that aren't so great, but it is slaightly easier to get a reservation at. The campground across the road from Refugio is o.k., but not really as nice, but it is not very far from Refugio (long walking distance).

InTheDark

Enlightened
Depending where you are in L.A. there are tons of beaches and forests. Angeles crest is great in the summer time, but try to go the campsites at higher elevations (6000+). Chilao, Buckhorn, Vetter are all great, you'll feel like you're in the sierras, but without the drive. There are a few nice ones that aren't as high up in the mountains, but they tend to be more crowded with less trees. For beach camping I think you'd probably have to go either north torwards Santa Barbara, or south OC. acourvil mentioned a really nice one, but as he said it's reservations are really hard to get at the nice campsites, which is why I haven't been beach camping for a long time. There's also camping near lake casitas and castake if you're into fishing. Sequoia National park is a little further drive, but well worth it. And even though you didn't mention deserts, desert camping can be a lot of fun. It's not always a bare wasteland like you'd imagine.

If this is your first time camping, I recommend going with someone else who at least has some experience. Not only will they have a lot of the equipment, but it will just be a lot easier for you. Are you going by yourself, or with a whole family? The first impression will basically set your attitude torwards camping trips in the future. If you have a miserable first time, you're not going to be too excited to go again, so it's kinda important that you plan carefully. I take a lot of non-campers to Yosemite for their first time, simply because it's not really camping, it's kinda like staying at an outdoor disneyland. It has all the comforts of a hotel, while still giving you the feel of camping.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always found campgrounds safe and the people very friendly. I camp by myself all the time.

This is a nice time of year to head to Joshua Tree. Some of the sites are free too (but porta johns). There is one site surrounded by big rocks that is very cool. Its called Jumbo Rocks, however it is also one of the most popular and fill up fast. It is often featured in commercials and advertisements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Tree_National_Park

You really should check it out. LA is like the geographic center of the universe for great camping. California has some of the best camping in the US but they also are popular and can get crowded on the weekends. The beach campgrounds between LA and San Diego tend to get party goers and drunks from the nearby town can wander in so I'm not crazy about them.

State Parks

Natl Parks

I imagine a bookstore or your local library will have books about camping in Cali.

PS You can rent camping equipment at REI if you want to try it out.

Last edited: