Who else love winter camping?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Living in the sunny southwest, it's the sun that will eat a tent like candy.

Without seeing the design, fabric, poles and sewing in person, I could not say if that tent is worth the cost. Typically the bargain tents my wife bought before we were married are decent; heavy and best not to expect miracles from them.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a British Army Basha that is current issue but I don't think most campers would appreciate it. lol

I had a French Army surplus 2 man tent that didn't last 3 months in bad weather and a Snugpak Cave 4-man. Some say you can do winter in the Cave if you keep snow off of it. Just be prepared for anything bad to happen at any time! Waterproof everything and have a back up tent and a dry change of clothes ready too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Any cheap small tents I'm a small guy so small is OK if it's cheap lol

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh.... Okay, I get it. In fairness you're a little too good at subtlety. 😉

Poppy

Flashaholic
@raggie33 I don't know what makes a good 4 season tent. I suppose it depends upon, in part, what the temperature extremes are expected. UP North one may need a tent that is designed with a vent hole for a chimney for a wood burning stove like the one that our friend woodswalker demonstrated.

If that's the case then the one you linked to would not work.

OTOH with milder temps like those expected in Alabama:
Winters are generally mild in Alabama, as they are throughout most of the southeastern United States, with average January low temperatures around 40 °F (4 °C) in Mobile, around 31 °F (−1 °C) in Huntsville, around 35 °F (2 °C) in Montgomery, and around 33 °F (1 °C) in Birmingham.

Personally I have found that Ozark Trail products are generally pretty functional. I believe that some of their products are most likely made on the same assembly line as the higher end products. For example, I'd be hard pressed to find the difference between their stainless steel insulated tumblers and the four times more expensive Yeti.

There's the saying that you get what you pay for. But I imagine if one doesn't shop carefully, that as one goes up the quality scale, so goes the price. Does the incremental increase in price match the incremental increase in quality? Again, I'll point to the insulated tumblers, in that case, I'd say no.

Is it worth the cost difference to get Gortex vs Columbia's OmniTech rainproof breathable material?

I have a couple low cost 2 man tents that we got at Walmart. They have been functional. In particularly nasty weather I once covered it with a tarp. I do apply a spray of silicone water proofing prior to their first use. I don't know if that is necessary, but I do it anyway.

We've had them for years, but only use them for a few weekends a year.

All that however is not to contradict my motto for buying tools. When buying tools, get the best quality you can afford. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
For the most part, winters in South Carolina are pretty mild - we get 2-3 weeks of around freezing temperatures (rarely consecutive 🙄 ) so we're able to camp year 'round. We have a small 14' travel trailer with a heater and A/C and have no problem braving the weather. Two of our most fun trip s were a January 2022 trip to Mistletoe State Park in GA where we had a storm front blow in with wind, rain and just 40 degree weather. The second was our recent trip to Elijah Clarke State Park, also in GA where we had about the same conditions. Hmmm....I'm detecting a pattern🧐