ami the only one who wondered

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that show gilligans island? what are the odds of gilligan being stranded ona island named after his self. im starting to think the show wasnt real at all. plus wtf all the cloths come from. a 3 hour tour? hect i go on vacation for 1 week and only bring like one chnage a cloths

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really Raggie? 🤔

Gilligan's Island was named so after the "lead character" whilst AFAIK the castaways referred to it as such as an ever present (constant) sarcastic reminder of who stranded them there in the first place due to their ineptitude during the storm.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
that show gilligans island? what are the odds of gilligan being stranded ona island named after his self. im starting to think the show wasnt real at all. plus wtf all the cloths come from. a 3 hour tour? hect i go on vacation for 1 week and only bring like one chnage a cloths
That's the way the writers wrote the scripts, and you are not dressed by a Hollyweird wardrobe/costume department. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it wasn't a reality show.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The reason why it got cancelled is actually rather sad.
President of the network went on vacation. Turned over management duties to some young hot-shot. Wanting to impress the President, hot-shot decided to cancel a big show that was starting to struggle in the ratings. (No, not that one.) Hot-Shot cancelled Gunsmoke. Little problem.... The President of the network was literally the show's biggest fan. Oops! Needless to say, upon his return, he was furious!!! So, he immediately brought back the show. However, after it was cancelled, it's spot on the line-up had been filled. They needed an hour.

So, two half hour programs that were back-to-back got cancelled instead. That equaled an hour for Gunsmoke to be put back on the air. One of those was a half hour daily news broadcast. The other was Gilligan's Island.

Nevermind the fact that the show actually had darn good ratings at the time. Yes, it was doing well. But the President of the network actually hated the show. Kept it on the air due to the ratings and not having a reason to cancel it. Now all of a sudden, he had a personal reason.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The reason why it got cancelled is actually rather sad.
President of the network went on vacation. Turned over management duties to some young hot-shot. Wanting to impress the President, hot-shot decided to cancel a big show that was starting to struggle in the ratings. (No, not that one.) Hot-Shot cancelled Gunsmoke. Little problem.... The President of the network was literally the show's biggest fan. Oops! Needless to say, upon his return, he was furious!!! So, he immediately brought back the show. However, after it was cancelled, it's spot on the line-up had been filled. They needed an hour.

So, two half hour programs that were back-to-back got cancelled instead. That equaled an hour for Gunsmoke to be put back on the air. One of those was a half hour daily news broadcast. The other was Gilligan's Island.

Nevermind the fact that the show actually had darn good ratings at the time. Yes, it was doing well. But the President of the network actually hated the show. Kept it on the air due to the ratings and not having a reason to cancel it. Now all of a sudden, he had a personal reason.
Interesting. And what happened to that young hotshot?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Honestly, there were only two reasons to watch that show. Mary Anne and Ginger. The rest were superfluous.
Reminded of a humorous bit on pitches for the likes of Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Genie that spared no words describing the ... visceral ... appeal of the female leads and their availability then insisting that the male leads would never lay a finger on them nor dream of doing so.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reminded of a humorous bit on pitches for the likes of Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Genie that spared no words describing the ... visceral ... appeal of the female leads and their availability then insisting that the male leads would never lay a finger on them nor dream of doing so.
Hmmm. Well, considering what has come out in recent years about certain people in power in the film industry, I guess that should not come as a surprise. Actually, the last part of that statement is quite laughable.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Hmmm. Well, considering what has come out in recent years about certain people in power in the film industry, I guess that should not come as a surprise. Actually, the last part of that statement is quite laughable.
It was a satirical piece where the beggaring of belief was what made it funny.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup....... We're supposed to believe that the only two people getting some sweet lovin' on that show were Mr. and Mrs. Howell, with each other.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I could never understand that if they could get the camera crew on the island why couldn't they get the castaways off?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hey anyone remember the episode where they found some rechargeable batteries and found a way to charge them? I did know they had them back that far seriously.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Galane

Newly Enlightened
Rather ironic that Tina Louise, who hated Gilligan's Island and wasn't in any of the reunion movies, is the only cast member still alive. She did do 30 films (theater and TV) post-Island. She was in 9 films pre-Island. A Tina Louise film festival would have plenty to select from.

I suspect her attitude toward her Ginger Grant role is what kept her from getting another regular TV series role other than as Taylor Von Platen in the one season soap opera "Rituals" in 1984-1985. She took over the role in 1984 from Jo Ann Pflug who was in 11 episodes. IMDB doesn't say how many of the 253 (264 - 11) 25 minute episodes Tina was in. Perhaps the Rituals schedule was too grueling and she didn't want another regular TV role?

Everything else she did in TV was one-off roles other than in 2 episodes of CHiPs. She played four different characters in Love, American Style, and two in Police Story.